Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #21

with loaded trailer, you are likely VERY close to your max tow capacity, and being one of the lightest and shorted full size SUVs, you might not find a white-knuckle-free towing experience other than longer heavier tow vehicle.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #22

I would ditch your current hitch and get a Dual Cam hitch. Or better yet a Hensley or Pro Pride. With the trailer length and short SUV, you need as much sway control as possible.

Some push\pull is normal but not sway from the trailer.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #23

I finally the Shasta back from the dealer today. Due to some 15mph+ continuous winds, the 20 mile trip home via I-70 was an adventure! When I got it home, I did weigh the tongue and it came out to about 645lbs. With the minimal weight we have onboard, I'm looking at probably 4800 lbs (w/o water), which would put me in the 13% range, which seems acceptable. I did take your advice and dropped the hitch down a notch, and I'll see if that does anything when I take it back next month to the dealer when some delayed parts come in.

Before I picked it up this morning, I did notice that just normal driving produced a little bit of sway. The Sequoia has a short 119" wheel base, but also has a rather high profile. Tires? Not sure if that's the answer. Just seems like that when it's hitched that the tail's waggin' the dog. My next step is to hook it up to a different tow vehicle to see how it behaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
That looks pretty good.. um.. it might just be the angle of the photo, but it almost looks like your TV's rear is jacked up a bit (front axle looks like it's compressed). Again, it may just be the lighting and angle, but the back tires on your TT look like they might be riding a bit heavier than the front axle. You might try dropping the nose of your TT down just a touch.

Just tossing out ideas... You can't really do much to it until you have your weights. I'll be interested to see where your pin weighs out at.

A larger wheel base and heavier TV are definitely going to improve the handling, but if you don't take it out all that often, I don't know if it would be worth upgrading your TV. Your within you limits so there has got to be a tweak that will give you a little better handle on it.

LT tires are a good idea. That's a lot'a surface area to overcome though.
roadmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #24

We have a short box crew cab truck pulling a 34' with a Blue Ox and P rated tires. We went thru a lot of changes to get it to handle well. Air pressure was a huge improvement, timbrens helped settle the front axle. The drivers side of TT is very heavy compared to other side,2 slides, frig, stove, sleeper sofa, shower, bath sink, main outside storage. Compared to 1 slide, flat screen t.v. fireplace, dinette and wardrobe.(something I didn't think about when we chose this unit poor design IMO.) We have to load things on the passenger side as much as possible. This is when it happened though, balancing is what it took to get better ride. It is going to wiggle from time to time but it doesn't sway any more. I am lucking enough to have a Hensley system GIVEN to me as back up, it seems to be a bit of a pain to use. But I have not towed with it. The man I got it from swears its better but even that does not stop it. No idea what he towed or with what TV. Was told it only had one 1500 mile trip in its life.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #25

It's the wheelbase of the tow vehicle
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #26

Towing Question

Just moved up from a popup to a 28' TT (32' ball to bumper, 6300# UVW, estimated 7200# loaded). I experienced the same issues on my 35 mile trip home from the dealer after "the dealer" set up the hitch (10k lb unit from Harbor Freight with a single friction sway control). I had P rated tires at 32 PSI and this trailer pushed me all over the road. After a lot of forum reading I decided to go to LT E rated tires, added a second friction sway control, and added Timbrens to my truck. Just got back from a 400 mile round trip to the beach and 98% of the trip I ran 60-62 MPH and could control the wheel with three fingers. Still need to drop the hitch one set of holes as my TT sits about 2" higher in the front than the back, so I'm thinking that will help even more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437840250.536596.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	84116

After that initial trip home I was about ready to take it back to the dealer and buy a tent. But after a little research and adjusting things accordingly I feel I am on the right track to a very good setup. Would a F-250 be better, of course. Is it necessary, no. Proper setup within your range can be achieved.

GypseeDaddy
2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4x4
2015 Zinger 28BH
1991 Coleman Chesapeake Popup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, Timbrens
2015 Zinger 28BH
GypseeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypseeDaddy View Post
Just moved up from a popup to a 28' TT (32' ball to bumper, 6300# UVW, estimated 7200# loaded). I experienced the same issues on my 35 mile trip home from the dealer after "the dealer" set up the hitch (10k lb unit from Harbor Freight with a single friction sway control). I had P rated tires at 32 PSI and this trailer pushed me all over the road. After a lot of forum reading I decided to go to LT E rated tires, added a second friction sway control, and added Timbrens to my truck. Just got back from a 400 mile round trip to the beach and 98% of the trip I ran 60-62 MPH and could control the wheel with three fingers. Still need to drop the hitch one set of holes as my TT sits about 2" higher in the front than the back, so I'm thinking that will help even more.

Attachment 84116

After that initial trip home I was about ready to take it back to the dealer and buy a tent. But after a little research and adjusting things accordingly I feel I am on the right track to a very good setup. Would a F-250 be better, of course. Is it necessary, no. Proper setup within your range can be achieved.

GypseeDaddy
2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4x4
2015 Zinger 28BH
1991 Coleman Chesapeake Popup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a Harbor Freight fan, too. But there's no way in heck I'd buy my TT hitch there. Order a 4 point Equalizer and be done with it. Think about how much your truck cost. And now your camper. Then consider that you have them linked together with a Chinese made hitch at the lowest possible price point.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 PM   #28
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm a Harbor Freight fan, too. But there's no way in heck I'd buy my TT hitch there. Order a 4 point Equalizer and be done with it. Think about how much your truck cost. And now your camper. Then consider that you have them linked together with a Chinese made hitch at the lowest possible price point.
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #29

This is what I get for listening to the dealer. The hitch did "ok" for our first trip, but I have been researching hitches for the past two weeks. I think I'm settling on the Husky Centerline TS with 1200# bars. That will be my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, Timbrens
2015 Zinger 28BH
GypseeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing