Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Infractee

It would not be ideal to use it at an RV dealer, you only need to know the tongue weight when the camper is loaded for use. And when the camper is loaded for use you should weigh it at the scales THEN weigh the tongue and then adjust your loading in your camper forward or aft to gain the optimum tongue weight (your 10% figure).
From what I have seen you just lower your tongue jack down onto the tongue scale and take the weight off of your hitch. Again tho, trailer needs to be loaded as for camping, LP tanks full, batt installed, WDH installed(Tongue portion)
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #22

Getting back to the 710lb tongue weight. The main storage is in the front. I don't see a whole lot of weight being added toward the back end. Bathroom items don't typically weigh that much. Where is the water tank in relation to the axles? South of the axles (bathroom side)? Kitchen cabinets (pantry for lack of a better term) behind the axles? Just trying to figure out how I'd mitigate the tongue weight via loading strategy....

Feralhog
NH
Feralhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralhog View Post
Where is the water tank in relation to the axles? South of the axles (bathroom side)? Kitchen cabinets (pantry for lack of a better term) behind the axles? Just trying to figure out how I'd mitigate the tongue weight via loading strategy....
Wouldn't know where the fresh water tank would be...if it's an enclosed underbelly, the fresh water tank drain usually tells you where it is located. By the layout, it looks like the kitchen area and dinette storage would be over the axles. You may have to store some heavier items on the bathroom floor like cases of water, soft drinks or wobbly pop while in transit to offset the weight added in the front storage.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #24

I asked too dang many questions. Looks like they sold it. Oh well, there will be others!

Feralhog
NH
Feralhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #25

We own a 2011 2304S which we pull with a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0L Diesel. We get approx 15 mpg CDN towing but haven't had the trailer long enough to do any long trips. We also have the trailer equipped with a Hensley Arrow hitch and experience no sway, with the weight distributing bars tightened up properly the 700lb hitch weight is no problem because it is distributed to all the axles (4). Buy a good weight distributing hitch ( I would suggest a Hensley ) but don't get conned into a friction sway control they just don't work.
harell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #26

tougue weight on rockwood ultralites

Hi Folks,

I am looking to replace our 189fbs Funfinder with a 2304s. I note the heavy tougue weight (700) lbs. on the Rockwood. It is more than twice that of our Funfinder. We will be towing with a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer, which has a tolerance for both the trailer weight and the tougue weight. The hitch receiver recommends an equalizer hitch which we will have. Has anybody had concerns about this hitchweight. Why are they so heavy in the hitch. Any input appreciated.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #27

the fresh water tank is in the front, 30 gallons approx 240 lbs in front of the axle
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #28

thx for ur reponse, but why would anybody travel with a full water tank.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #29

we don't always camp at a commercial campground so we need to carry a full tank into the boondocks also some of our provincial campground don't have sites with water or power or sewer but that said if we plan on camping where water is available we travel with about 1/2 tank so the toilet will work and some left over for cooking on the road and perhaps a shower if we decide to stop over night along the way
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #30
Infractee

On the FR site it list the 2304 TW being 550Lbs, intrestingly enough the 2306 has a listed TW Of 320Lbs. Of course, those are dry and before any options are added, including batt and LP.
Those two are almost identical except for the 2306 has quite a bit more stuffed into the rear of the camper, behind the axles which is helping the TW lower.
With clever weight placement ( and probably fresh water ballast) you could bring that TW down to the ideal 10% of loaded trailer weight which will prolly be in the neighborhood of 4500Lbs with 450Lbs on the tongue.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Hi Folks,

I am looking to replace our 189fbs Funfinder with a 2304s. I note the heavy tougue weight (700) lbs. on the Rockwood. It is more than twice that of our Funfinder. We will be towing with a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer
first, you don't mention any info on your TB. is it the I-6 or the v-8? is it 4x4 or 4x2? what rear end ratio does it have? does it have the factory tow package?

the hitch weight is that heavy because the queen bed and the sofa are up front. and it'll probably weigh close to 4800lbs on the dealer's lot.

and many of us carry at least a 1/2 tank of fresh water, to be able to use the toilet or faucets, in route. i carry a full tank because i have enough tow capacity and i prefer my home water to what may be available at the campground.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #32

You'll be fine.
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #33

Ah yes, Harrell. Now I get it. Roughing for us is no cable TV, so we are almost always hooked up to water. Even with the Funfinder, we travel with empty or almost empty tanks. This is a long distance purchase of a 2304s, so I think I will make the deal contingent on a test tow just to be sure. I know a loaded trailer will behave differently again, but towing the beast should tell me a few things anyhow.

as usual, thx to both of you for your input.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #34

OK, here it is: 2008 I6 300 hp engine with 3:42 rear end. 4 by. As mentioned, this vehicle pull Funfinder like a dream in most adverse circumstances e.g. hot weather, high mountain passes. Usually get 12-14 MPG british gallons. The Rockwood 2304s is 4400 lbs dry weight with 678 tongue weight. It is also a foot wider. I would like to hear from anyone pulling this trailer or similar with a trailblazer. We are Canucks dealing long distance with a dealer in Florence Or. who has the Rockwood we very much like. I know I know, we are prepared to deal with warranty issues customs etc. There is a 10,000 dollar saving btwn the two countries. Our Funfinder is sold, and we are prepared to drive to Oregon, and take this baby for a tow spin. If it does not feel good, we will drive home trailerless. When test towing, we will attach equalizer hitch. Any input greatly appreciated as our trip south is imminent.

Tags