Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Texas Law states

"The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."
Wow. Never saw this before. LEA's could make a killing pulling over TT and FW owners because NONE of them run 60. Ever. I run at 65 and get passed regularly. Don't think I've ever passed a fellow camper- so I'm the slow driver.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #22

I think if you are going to quote what a law says in Texas or NC says why not post where it says it at. I don't know how to put a site in, that way everyone could see exactly what the regulations say and not have to take your word for it. I do not look at what AAA says, I look for proof. I pull my Cedar Creek 32RL with a Silverado 3500 SRW, I really could care less what someone else pulls the same size camper with. Any truck can get you to the top of the mountain it's getting down that matters to me, personally I could care less what you pull your camper with, if you are happy I am happy. If you hit me that's what I have insurance for, in case your insurance won't cover the accident I carry extra. The name of the game is have fun and don't get caught up with weights. If all the DOT scales had to weigh RV's no truck would ever stop. It would be a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I honestly can't believe you're allowed to ride in a TT or Fifth Wheel in most states...that seems insane to me!
Don't mistake "riding in a truck camper allowed", as a travel trailer. I am unaware of any states allowing passengers in a moving travel trailer, though some do with fifth wheels. I do agree, even that is crazy.
The truck camper designation refers to an actual camper that sits inside the bed of the truck, such as the Lance brand.
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablindmule View Post
Don't mistake "riding in a truck camper allowed", as a travel trailer. I am unaware of any states allowing passengers in a moving travel trailer, though some do with fifth wheels. I do agree, even that is crazy.
The truck camper designation refers to an actual camper that sits inside the bed of the truck, such as the Lance brand.
I understand what a Truck Camper is, I also know what I read on that page. So unless there is bad information on that page.....

States where traveling in TT is allowed:
Arizona
Indiana
Iowa (Legal but not recommended)
Kansas (Over 14 Yrs old)
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska

States where traveling in 5th Wheel is allowed:
Arizona
California
Colorado (Allowed but not recommended)
Indiana
Iowa (Legal but not recommended)
Kansas (Over 14 Yrs old)
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New York
North Dakota
Oregon (with special requirements)
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
West Virginia

By my count, that means in 18% of US States you can ride in a Trailer, and 36% you can ride in a 5th wheel.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #25

@ablindmule...x2
I searched the AAA doc and found "Riding Allowed" 17 times. All for truck campers and 5th wheels...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #26

In regards to triples, each trailer is 28 feet long 3x28=84 plus 2 dollies plus tractor, if I remember it's 105 feet overall it's been a while I've been retired 9 years now and in some places in Utah the posted speed is 80 mph and pulling trips at 80 mph is a gas even more fun down hills.
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #27

The Blokes down in Oz now how to tow..................

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #28

Same here I was in CA two yrs ago stayed at 55 got the feeling I was backing down the road by the way all trucks and trailers were passing me.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
in California it is posted that the speed limit for a truck with a trailer is 55, I have never seen a truck and trailer travel at a regular speed of 55
Same here I was in CA two yrs ago stayed at 55 got the feeling I was backing down the road by the way all trucks and trailers were passing me.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #30

Thanks a lot for the links!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Here's a couple more web sites for towing laws that may be a little easier to read. Some of the information may not be current but at least this is a starting point. If in doubt contact the state in question.
http://rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm
Your 1st link (as well as a Good Sam table) show a maximum combined length of 53' in Mississippi. Your 2nd link does not show this limit. I was concerned since I am over the 53' they show. I contacted Mississippi Highway Patrol and was told that a trailer can't exceed 53' but my combined 54' 9" (truck + 5th wheel trailer) is legal. The answer was from:

Randy C. Ginn, Lieutenant Colonel
Mississippi Highway Patrol
Enforcement Division
P.O. Box 958
Jackson, MS 39205
601-987-1495

and he said:

In regard to your question concerning maximum length of a trailer, Section 63-5-19 (2) of the Mississippi Code of 1972 addresses this specifically. This statute states that no semi-trailer or trailer can exceed 53 feet. The length of all vehicles, single or combination, is also addressed within this statute. The length of your trailer stated in your email is within the permissible length by statute. I hope that this answers your question.

You can read the entire statute at the link below;
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #32

some states now require you to have a endorsement (its a non commercial endorsement) for anything over #10,000 GVWR. My state (CT) requires it, though not really enforced (yet)
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #33

53 ft Trailers are legal in all states
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing