Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Scoundrel

Towing Safety Chains

I just saw this video and I don't recall this being posted on this forum before. I used the search function above and couldn't find it so I'm posting it now. My apologies if this has appeared here previously.

Its disturbing that this may be happening more than we think it does....

https://www.insideedition.com/headli...-hitch-them-to

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

The dumb thing is fifth wheels and goosenecks don't require chains. Even though many have them, they're not required by law in many states.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Here chains are required for goosenecks (anything that uses a ball for attachment). I have often wondered why 5th wheels did not. I get the design is different but is a ball and coupler more prone to a failure? I do not hear many failures of any hitch over another... I am sure a 5er hitch could also fail.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #4

In California chains are required on Goosenecks But not fifth wheels also any pull trailer now is required to have two chains and the CHP does check this. Found this out selling two small quad trailers when having them registered as I thought 1 chain was enough had to take them home and install the second chain.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Federal law requires chains on goosenecks, all 50 states. No requirement on fifth wheel hitch.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Locking the coupler with a pin or lock and crossing the chains should be taught during PDI to everyone. Like the video shows if the trailer comes off the ball the chains prevent the tongue from digging in. I see many stock trailers around here with only one or no chains scary
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #7

I was pulling my Log splitter with only 1 HD chain and the Ohio State Patrol pulled me over,the chain was long enough to unhook where you normally hook the chains and I just laid it behind the Ball and put bailing wire around it in two places and ran the loose end back to where the chain was on the splitter and put the S hook in there! The Patrol said looks like 2 chains to Me and off we went! I have added another chain now! Youroo!!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Could you imagine if fifth wheel hitches had to have chains wow !!!!!

The chain companies would love it................. look at how many tractor trailers are on the road !!!! I have heard but no facts that to have chains on a fifth wheel would be more dangerous as the chain could be entangled in the hitch mechanism.........

Seriously though a fifth wheel trailer large or small is rare to come loose there are probably millions on the road........ 365 days a year......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Federal law requires chains on goosenecks, all 50 states. No requirement on fifth wheel hitch.

In the state of Missouri, and fairly certain Illinois as well, any trailer that attaches over the axles requires no safety chains. So that would include goosenecks. Idk about you, but I've never seen a federal officer enforcing traffic laws.
schaffer05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, towing