Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

Question Towing Surveyor SV-294 with 2011 Silverado Diesel...do I need to use weight distro?

HI...I just got a 2011 Silverado 2500 Diesel with all the towing bells and whistles. Built in brake controller, exhaust brake, etc.. etc... Pulling a 2011 Surveyor SV-294 for now. My truck can easily handle the weight and tongue weight of this trailer. Curious if folks suggest using a wight distributing hitch and sway bar with this setup or if this is just overkill? My truck applies brakes to straighten if it detects sway (I read)...no idea if this is effective or not though. Just curious if I need to spend time hooking up the weight distro bars, etc... Thanks!
Biggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

You should always have a WD hitch with sway control regardless of your truck unless of course you are are running a modified semi tractor (which some do) as you need to ensure the weight is properly distributed to both axles of the truck. Also sway control should be used on any larger trailer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #3

I use a WD with my setup, my trailer is smaller than the 294, it just makes the ride that much more enjoyable. Takes away the bounce when crossing the frost heaves at highway speeds.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your new truck.

Did it come with a manual?

Most vehicles have a limit of what can be carried on the ball without a WDH. I've usually seen these at 5,000 lbs and 600lb TW.

But some HD used to have higher limits (7,500lb trailer/1,000lb TW) without the WDH. ( IIRC)

I haven't researched trucks in a few years so maybe your 2011 2500 has no limits. The manual will tell you.

Here's a Chevy towing guide that might help.

As for sway control, I am not convinced that the built-in sway control (using truck brakes and reducing engine power) that come with these trucks are as effective as a good WDH with sway control.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote