Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #1

Question Towing Tire

I have a 2005 Chev Avalanche and just bought a 831KRSS Flagstaff.
Was wondering what other people are using for a tire and how it tows?

Thanks
Adrinnea
2005 Chev Avalanche
2006 Shamrock 233 (on the way 2009 Flagstaff 831 KRSS)

Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #2

I have an 09 KRSS myself. Your going to love it, if you dont already. Mine came with Carlisle tires on it and after reading some of the horror stories on here about the quality of these tires, changing them out SOON is on my list of to do things. I havent made it to a tire store yet to see what is available,but i would imagine that goodyear or michelin might make a trailer tire.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #3

I replaced all of the Carlisles on my Flagstaff with Goodyear Marathons after a blowout on a tire with 5000 miles on it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #4

I really was not thinking about the trailer tire it was the tires on the Avalanche that I want to change.
Adrinnea
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Head Rambler

It'll tow better with LT tires on it (the Avalanche). it'l ride a little worse but you may never feel it. I have Michelin tires on my TV and love them but any good brand will be fine. I'd probably move up to D or E rated tires too.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #6

I prefer a little more rugged/agressive tire, we are from upstate NY, BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO fit the need. Our tow vehicle is a 2000 Excursion and with almost 30K on the tires I still half the tread left. We are towing an '09 All American 11K+ trailer weight. I shopped and compared many brands and found the best reviews for snow, wet traction and wear on the KO. I went with load range E because of trailer tounge weight and a bad experiences with D's on our previous trailer, three trailer tire blowouts in one trip of 1000 mi. The Excursion came with Michelins that rode nice and seemed to wear well also but not agressive enough for me. I ran the KO's on my previous tow vehicle, an Expedition, as well. You will get a little more noise and a little less smooth ride but not enough to bother us we got used to it quickly, anyway with a diesel the added noise is minimal.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
ATV Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4stlhed View Post
I prefer a little more rugged/agressive tire, we are from upstate NY, BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO fit the need. Our tow vehicle is a 2000 Excursion and with almost 30K on the tires I still half the tread left. We are towing an '09 All American 11K+ trailer weight. I shopped and compared many brands and found the best reviews for snow, wet traction and wear on the KO. I went with load range E because of trailer tounge weight and a bad experiences with D's on our previous trailer, three trailer tire blowouts in one trip of 1000 mi. The Excursion came with Michelins that rode nice and seemed to wear well also but not agressive enough for me. I ran the KO's on my previous tow vehicle, an Expedition, as well. You will get a little more noise and a little less smooth ride but not enough to bother us we got used to it quickly, anyway with a diesel the added noise is minimal.

Good luck
Is the Ex a gasser? Just curious becuase that's pretty darn good mileage fom those BFG's and a PSD.

Any D or E rated tire will suffice on an Avalanche. You're mileage may vary with tread desing. With an E (or 10 ply tire) you're reaching the limit the truck can carry safely at any rate. So the 10 ply will be over kill - or in this case, a safety net. So to speak.