Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
JDY

Towing Toyhauler with Chevy 1500

I've camped for the past 15 years, but in a stationary TT. Sold it this spring, and have the bug for a toy hauler. I began with the idea of converting an old U-Haul truck, a box truck or motor home modification. Generally, I dislike towing something behind me. However, after pricing the ultimate expense of the above modification ideas, I'm resigned to learning to like pulling a toy hauler.
My primary concern is towability with a 1/2 ton truck. I've read numerous forums wherein the members generally say "You're stupid to try towing with a 1/2 ton" . I've seen pictures posted of what can happen as a result of trying to do so. A new truck is NOT an option in my mind( OR the wifes !).
I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado extended cab,1500. It does have the 5.3 L vortec V-8, 3.42 Axle ratio, also the trailering package with K5L HD cooling pkg. and factory trailer brake controller. Chevy's specs say it can pull a trailer with a hitch weight of 600 lbs. ( bumper) and 1,100 with a weight distribution hitch. Max trailer wt. of 9,600 and GCWR of 15,000.
This seems to be, ON PAPER, plenty of truck for one of the lighter toy haulers. I really like the floorplan of the XLR HyperLite 24HFS.It lists a 577 lb hitch weight and 5,675 ship weight I have several "Toys" I would want to haul, one at a time only, of course.
These would be either a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, OR a Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI ATV, OR an older EZ-GO 3 wheel golf cart. I have generally rounded UP the weight of each "toy" to 1000 lbs. Ironically, the old 36V golf cart weighs the most, and that would likely be the toy hauled most often.

Sorry for the "novel" but wanted to provide enough info for feedback. Has anyone pulled the 24HFS with a comparable 1/2 ton pick-up ? And what were your experiences/recommendations. Any others have a 1/2 ton and pulling a different model ? I really like the front queen bed layout. It would just be for myself ( 6'2" 245 ) & wife 5'2 &,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VERY LIGHT )
Any and all input is appreciated. And yes, I know, a bigger truck would be better, but that's not gonna happen.
JDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

I can not answer any of your questions, but just a heads up on the queen size bed.
My wife is taller than I am. What we found is that even though there is a claim that it is a queen size bed in our toyhauler, it doesn't meet all the specifications of a queen bed.
The width is a queen size, but the length is refered to as a short queen.
Make sure you measure the length of the matress.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

You should be alright with the 24 or the 27. Whatever trailer you select, figure the weight with gas, batteries, propane, water, gear and your toys. Also watch the hitch weight. Don't even think about running without WD or sway control.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Team

to the forums! You are ahead of the game by checking into this prior to buying. Browsing the forum can be helpful too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

wouldn't do it. I have a 1500 and wouldn't even think about towing a TH with it. I would look at a bigger truck
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

How do they figure the tongue weight listed for the toy hauler? I ask this because the tongue weight will change dramatically when you add or remove 1K lbs from the rear of the trailer. My understanding is that many toy haulers are extremely tongue heavy until loaded. I have read about people who keep 55 gallon plastic drums in the back filled with water to try and level the trailer until they load their toys.

The general problem with most 1/2 ton trucks is payload. No matter what it may say for trailer weight, that is a mythical figure. Given your figure above, and please keep in mind that nobody tells the truth in their sales brochure on weights, you would be around 7500 lbs going down the road, with a minimum tongue weight of 750. But unloaded that might jump over 1K lbs. Does your specific truck, you need to look at the individual payload rating for your truck and then deduct all passengers and gear, have the payload to handle that?

Most people, when they do the math, find they do not have enough payload capacity.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Missing Link

I don't see an issue at the numbers you posted. And why would pulling a toy hauler with a 1500 be any different than pulling a tt.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
I don't see an issue at the numbers you posted. And why would pulling a toy hauler with a 1500 be any different than pulling a tt.
Exactly.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is, as other's stated, if the weight of any toys is behind the rear axles, that could effect tongue weight and cause weird sway issues. That said, I think toys are loaded over the axles and would not cause any unexpected changes in tongue weight.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
You shouldnt have any issues with the 1500 towing. We have a GMC 1500 Z60 and tow a 7500lb V-Lite with no problems unless we are climbing a 6-7 degree hilll in the mountains. Then we could only get about 40MPH without pushing the tach to 4500. Gas milage has averaged 9.3MPG on two trips of over 1650 miles. One to Danville Va and one to Asheville, NC starting from Orlando Fl. Crusied at 68 to 70MPH.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
JDY

@ cyclepuck - Just to clarify, I never pulled a TT, the one I had was stationary. I DID pull a 24' pontoon boat that WAS pretty heavy and it pulled satisfatorily. I look at the numbers provided by Chevy AND the RV manufacturers. I take them all with a grain of salt. If I do get a TH, I would definitely use a Weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars.
I too had wondered about the hitch weight being changed by the weight of whatever toy I had in back. They do look as if they ( the toy) would be primarily over the axle and I'd presume the weights wouldnt fluctuate that much. I also looked some more at TH models and the 19HFS falls well under the limits of my truck. Even adding 1K for a toy, water,fuel,cargo, etc, would keep me well under my max weights.

JDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Missing Link

Should be fine. I have a 2012 silverado crew with the exact trailing options you have and am pulling a 30 tt around 8k and it pulls good. Could use more power on good inclines but It's does better than expected.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #12

We also have a similar 1500 (5.3, 3.42 ratio, etc.). We have a 19' TT which dry is roughly 4,000 lbs. We've towed on a couple of occasions with no issue; the TV is new, recently traded our 1500 with the 4.8, so limited experience. Our plan is to load two motorcycles in the bed (KLR 650s) which combined would be roughly 800 lbs dry. All the numbers that I worked suggest that our new TV should be capable, and reviewing with local fellow TT enthusiasts support my math. The difference in our case being the MC in the TV over the rear axle.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

« Chucking | Towing »