Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Towing Triples in AL

I know it illegal in AL. My question is
Do they inforce it?
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

If you get a Sheriff or Trooper that is aware of the laws for non-commercial vehicles they certainly can. There is no way you can poll this forum with a question like that and live by the answers.
It's a risk regardless, the question is are you willing to take it?

I myself run the eastern coast to Florida's Gulf & Atlantic coasts and never been stopped.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #3

"Live by the answers" not my intention at all that would be stupid on my part. I was just looking for opinions. For example the whole east coast supposedly it is illegal but you have never had a problem. That's all I was looking for was someone who travels AL frequently to see if it was even worth the risk.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Understood. I take the chance and am always prepared for the consequences. One resolution would be to drop the little trailer and go rent a vehicle to tow it. I travel with my wife so she would be available to drive if need be. I don't know your situation but I'm towing a 33 ft 5th wheel and a 5x10 utility trailer with a 900lb golf car. I think a ball mount tag along camper would get a lot more attention.
Edit.....
Also from a commercial driver's point of view that has double / triple trailer endorsement, this is triple towing. (3 in tow)

You're refering to double towing I hope.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Understood. I take the chance and am always prepared for the consequences. One resolution would be to drop the little trailer and go rent a vehicle to tow it. I travel with my wife so she would be available to drive if need be. I don't know your situation but I'm towing a 33 ft 5th wheel and a 5x10 utility trailer with a 900lb golf car. I think a ball mount tag along camper would get a lot more attention.
That's my plan as well. Reason I'm asking all this is because I'm tring to figure out if I want trade in my 39' pictured wagon that too long to pull a trailer behind and get a toy hauler or smaller 5th wheel that I can put my 6.5 X 12 trailer.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
That's my plan as well. Reason I'm asking all this is because I'm tring to figure out if I want trade in my 39' pictured wagon that too kind to pull a trailer behind and get s toy hauler or smaller 5th wheel that I can put my 6.5 X 12 trailer.
My plan is a toyhauler with 10-12' garage. Before November would be nice but if not I'll be double towing again.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Edit.....
Also from a commercial driver's point of view that has double / triple trailer endorsement, this is triple towing. (3 in tow)

Yes two trailers. Commercial triple is 3 trailers in recreational it's truck, camper and trailer is considered triple. I googled it before asking the question
Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

We pull our Cedar Creek with a HDT with a Smart car behind the sleeper, some put a golf cart there instead. Just another option. Good luck on your decision.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Edit.....

I agree with this Unless your using the "New Math" Triple is 3! Youroo!!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
clr

A couple of years ago I was towing on the PA toll way and was pulled over by a State Police man for towing triple. Truck pulling 5th wheel pulling boat. I had looked up on good sam state towing regulations prior to my trip and it stated triple towing was allowed only on the Interstates in PA. The cop stated that in PA only commercial licenses were allowed to pull triple. So I got a ticket. So beware some states are very strange about the rules/laws. I know this is not AL as OP asked but I think that it does apply.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Team

I have a relative that's fairly high ranking in the AL State Troopers. Here's what he told me.

'Yes it's illegal in Alabama to triple tow (TV and two trailers), but they've been told not to enforce it because it'll affect tourism from the adjoining states that allow it if they do.'

Now, there's nothing written about that, so technically it's illegal, but you stand a pretty good chance of NOT getting a ticket for it.

I probably wouldn't be speeding or running stop signs, cause you know how they like to pile stuff on once they've got you stopped, but you should be pretty safe.

Tags
towing