Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Goes2Fast

Towing two up

I know of people who pull another trailer (boat, jet ski, motorcycle, etc.) behind their fifth wheel. I don't recall ever seeing anyone do this with a TT. I have a 25' Wildwood LE toy hauler (TT, not a fifth wheel). Thoughts on whether I could add a hitch to the rear and pull a jet ski or boat? My tow vehicle (Avalanche 2500/8.1L) could handle it, but not sure if he LE could. From what I've seen, it's legal in over half the states, including Ohio.
goes2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Only legal in a few states, been discussed here before. Check your state laws. You mention it is legal, but in a lot of states, only on freeway and to a truck terminal, not a nice place to camp. Don't mean to be short with an answer, but don't want you to get a ticket, and they will park the rig, or at least the second trailer. Lat I heard, a few months ago, was only legal in 9 states, far from half. Also most trailer manufactures will void frame warranty if you install a hitch on the trailer frame. Can you handle it? Depends on gross weight, and gross combined weight of everything you have towing. Odds are, probably not with what you have. Check the camper loaded weight, the jet skis or boat, and the tow vehicle, probably over 20,000 pounds, and that vehicle won't do it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

Not legal in BC either. Last weekend saw a 5th and a boat trailer pulled over by the RCMP heading into BC. We stopped for a break and the units passed us heading back to Alberta. If you get to 'deep' into BC. You may have to leave a unit behind and come back for it as a single tow.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Windrider is right that this comes up every now and then. I sometimes wonder if those people who tow double really know what they're getting themselves into.

I am not sure about the legalities but I am sure I wouldn't do it even if it's legal. I actually had the pleasure of towing this way (farm machinery) growing up and one time working construction in college. Towing double is not a pleasant experience if you do it only once in a while. Never-mind backing up. YMMV.

I'd take two vehicles before I towed double.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Do you have something like this in mind?

BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Windrider is right that this comes up every now and then. I sometimes wonder if those people who tow double really know what they're getting themselves into.

I am not sure about the legalities but I am sure I wouldn't do it even if it's legal. I actually had the pleasure of towing this way (farm machinery) growing up and one time working construction in college. Towing double is not a pleasant experience if you do it only once in a while. Never-mind backing up. YMMV.

I'd take two vehicles before I towed double.
This is your opinion. I tow doubles 90% of the time and it is very comfy if set up correctly. My set up does not pull any different with my boat behind it. You have to plan your stops and no you can't back it into a parking spot but yes you can back it some. I have backed it out of a few fuel stops and have backed it 100 yards at a campground once. I have been doing it for 6 years now with no issues with the law. I pass weigh stations everywhere and have taken it to Guntersville State park and if you look on a map, it is not anywhere near an interstate. I went straight into downtown. I have talked to 3-4 DOT officers here in Ky about it asking questions and everyone of them have told me as long as I'm not doing something stupid that I won't be bothered. Here in Ky they have a 65' limit and I am 82' front front bumper to prop on the boat.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Lottery Non-Winner

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Not sure how often this chart is updated, but it seems to answer some of the questions as to where, how long, etc...
FTR it is not legal in Alabama (Guntersville).

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

I would not even try to tow a second trailer with a TT. The extra weight of the second trailer will greatly effect the weight on the ball of the TT. In Ont. the law states the a second trailer can be towed only if the trailer towing is a 5er. Sway control will be a night mare with the setup you want to do.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

I know it's not....by law , any camper over 40 is not legal either. I call the transportation department before the trip and they told me the same thing the DOT officers told me in Ky. They also said that they will usually honor other states laws when it comes to RV's. There is so many gray areas in the RV rules.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I would not even try to tow a second trailer with a TT. The extra weight of the second trailer will greatly effect the weight on the ball of the TT. In Ont. the law states the a second trailer can be towed only if the trailer towing is a 5er. Sway control will be a night mare with the setup you want to do.
I did it with a TT once and yes I agree with all of you on it is not a good idea. A small Sea-Doo maybe but that is about it. A TT is very sensitive to tongue weight.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #11

For those that may want to tow doubles in Canada a summary of provincial regulations can be found at :RVDA of Canada - Provincial RV Regulations there is also a link off the page if you are over 14M (45')