Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
I also use cruise control most of the time when there's little traffic. Even on slight hills my truck doesn't even bother to change gears. Cruise on 65ish and plenty of power to spare makes it fairly uneventful

2012 F350 SRW Powerstroke
2011 Acadia Denali
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
Moderators' Assistant
only on flat freeways.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
My 2cts. On the way out to SD from OH, with a built 6.0 pulling approx 10000# cruse not so good. On the way back,towing same #. With cummins,cruse @ 70-75 no prob not many down shifts. Ya I'm that guy... going to fast. ! But once we hit IL slowed to 65,still not many down shifts. That I6 is torquee. The boys noticed how much I liked the manual shift,with engine brake turned on, in WY n CO , what brake pedal ? 8+% grades in WY, down hill,brakes only if coming to a complete stop ! Wow ! Point... With the right torque #'s cruse is ok,but will use more fuel.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #44
The manual for our tv says that with CC engaged, when descending a 7% grade, or better, enable the exhaust brake. Works like a charm - as long as the descent doesn't require a lower speed, due to a curve, I use the CC all the time - when safe - never have a shifting problem, ascending grades. However, when we get our 36CKTS next week, I may have to rethink some of this.
Alan, Kathy & Cooper the camping cat
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS
2013 GMC 2500 Denali
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #45
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Always... the Allison is smart and The engine has tons of power, it knows the gear it needs. Even in the big hills it works better then me, and less stressful. below 65 mph is where I stay

that is the exact reason I got a diesel. it never drops a gear unless it is a huge hill
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
Thanks to those who replied. I think I will use the cruise control only when I'm on flat roads or those with slight Hills. I will tap off the cruise control when I approach steeper grades. I do not put enough miles on my truck (5,000/year) for me to justify a diesel or I would have one. I think that would solve a lot of my problems

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #47
Another cruise control user here. On flat ground, on the highway only. Which isn't too often here in East Tennessee!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #48
I am a third of the way to red river gorge in Kentucky from Cincinnati and so far the cruise control has been very good to me. (This is my first time ever towing on the highway).
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
I use my CC on the flats at 60mph quite a bit but I try and anticipate hills and manually downshift into 4th or other appropriate gear and then upshift at the top. Seems to work good and is easy enough with the shifter button thingy on my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500. If it gets too hilly or lots of turns I don't use it as I have been surprised more than once with some other driver coming the other direction way too far over into my lane around a curve and I have to take action quickly and with the CC on in that situation makes for some white knuckle driving.
Good discussion!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #50
my thoughts

Lots of good info in this thread so I thought I might add a little that helps me.
I am an avid CC user but like all things it must be used with some common sense. I wish the DMV would make the CC as part of the drivers training; its annoying having a vehicle in front of you raising and lowering their speed at a whim. And I would like to add that all big rig drivers use their CC, when able.
I believe that tapping-out is in many situations the wrong way to disengage the CC. At any time I see brake lights, even momentarily, it alerts me to hazardous issues ahead(deer, road alligator, pot holes,……). We engage our CC with a flick of the thumb its just as easy to flick it off and not harass other drivers unnecessarily. If you are using your brakes to slow down then by all means please brake.
For a tip, that helps me, while on CC I use my trucks “instant MPG” by watching this I know how hard my truck is working. While towing I get 11-9 MPG and my truck is working steady/easy but as the MPG gets down to 7MPG I know the truck is working harder. Finally when the MPG gets to 6 I evaluate how to help the truck(down shift, add fuel, slowdown…). Staying in the power curve by adding fuel before an obvious incline, shifting out of overdrive early and dropping out of CC seems to really help my truck.
This is probably for a separate thread: I also drive by GPS, in the hills and mountains I can see how tight and how far away the next curves will be. I only wish I could see the grade: up, down, how much and how long(maybe in the future we’ll have this info too)
Drive safe and keep the shinny side up

2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote