Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #71

I can't disagree with any of the replies... because none of us really know exactly how the GVWR is calculated by the manufacturers.

If you read the NHTSA requirements for the manufacturers required payload sticker on the door jam you will find their concern was primarily centered around the vehicle being able to carry the number of passengers (@ 150lbs each) the vehicle is designed to transport plus unspecified cargo... i.e. luggage, groceries etc.

There is nothing about "what is the maximum payload can this vehicle carry?" It reads more like at a minimum the vehicle must meet the GVWR based on occupancy. There is nothing in the NHTSA requirements specifically for pick ups.

Maybe this sheds some light on the minivan vs 1/2 ton comparisons?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #72
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So my shop f150 full of fuel with me in it weights 6456 lbs.

the ccc is 1733
The rated tire capacity is 2200 lbs per tire. Or 8800 lbs .
I'm over my tire rating in 611 lbs.
Which means if I load my "fiver" to lets say 1800 lbs hitch weight then my dw, kids and dogs jump in that eats up my 611 lbs in tire capacity.
In your mind dustman that's "ok" and "safe"

Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post

OK thanks for the heads up. I am pretty sure on the 500 lbs as when we transferred everything I cut way back and had things in boxes on a scale when I put it back in. Even if dw adds stuff for the weekend it would only go up about 100 lbs max. So give that : My math was 7764 plus 600 would be 8364 lbs. At the 20% average would be 1672 for a pin weight before adding in me, her and the hounds. So given that number then I would be over by 200 lbs as the truck is rated at 1756 lbs for payload,.. correct?
Agreed. But as I said, also look at your rear GAWR. Some would say that's even more important.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by platokidd View Post
Too much!
There is a new standard in 2013 and ton info on the web. Some tow limits will have gone down in 2013.
J2807 tow ratings
Looks like Truck mfg. will all have to start playing by the same rules!
Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine
Oh sure like Dodge is following the rules...

From left lane auto news...

The heavy duty towing war between Detroit's Big Three has been escalated to a new level. Chrysler's Ram trucks division has upped the maximum towing capacity of a properly-equipped version of its 2013 model year 3500-series pickup to a staggering 30,010 lbs.

That's a hefty increase from last year's 22,750, and it easily surpasses the 23,100 lbs. maximum for the formerly class-leading Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD. The Ford F-350 remains rated at 22,800 lbs.

According to a detailed chart posted to the automaker's media website, one Ram configuration's towing capacity exceeds 30,000 lbs. - a regular cab, long box model equipped with two-wheel-drive, the most powerful version of the automaker's 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine, the 4.10 rear differential and either the ST or Tradesman trim level.

However, a number of Ram 3500 configurations are rated to tow at or around 29,000 lbs., which is still significantly higher than the truck's competitors.

While few owners are likely to test the limits of the 30,000 lbs. maximum capacity, the figure does give Ram major bragging rights.
Read more at Detroit LIVE: Ram HD with 30,000 lbs. towing capacity
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #75

Wow,, 8 pages and 75 posts on this one question. Do you think this guy got a message.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #76
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Wow,, 8 pages and 75 posts on this one question. Do you think this guy got a message.
Maybe !
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
So my shop f150 full of fuel with me in it weights 6456 lbs.

the ccc is 1733
The rated tire capacity is 2200 lbs per tire. Or 8800 lbs .
I'm over my tire rating in 611 lbs.
Which means if I load my "fiver" to lets say 1800 lbs hitch weight then my dw, kids and dogs jump in that eats up my 611 lbs in tire capacity.
In your mind dustman that's "ok" and "safe"
Your tires are a little light, my GY tires on my 1500 are rated 3000# each.

And in the situation you stated, it is NOT safe IMO.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

Well this is always a heavily debated item it appears. But I for one welcome the influx of information. Something us weekend warriors probably rarely thought about before when we bought our first campers. Being on my second 5th wheel I can honestly say I listened to the dealer when I bought my first, but had checked into the math when looking for my second. Obviously my math was a little bit off. But I welcome the information and knowledge of those who are better acquainted with the towing capacities of our trucks. Being that I will retire in 3 years and be traveling more and longer distances I may have to budget for a bigger truck in my future just to be within the towing limits. I again thank everyone for their imput. Now I will have to look at the numbers for the rear axle to see how far out I am on that....
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Your tires are a little light, my GY tires on my 1500 are rated 3000# each.

And in the situation you stated, it is NOT safe IMO.
Which makes a great point, did anyone one ask the op what his tire rating was that thought he would be able to tow this 5er?
As si would say "naaaaaoooo"

So given the info I posted with my info on the f150 less knowing about the tire rating in dustmans eyes I'm good to go.
Not
Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #80
Mod free 5er

My concern is usually the tire capacity more than anything. Most trucks have the power to pull the loads and with good working trailer brakes have the ability to stop. As for the frame and rear end brgs, not much concern there for me. If the brgs go out, I'll just have to have them replaced.