Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Towing: What am I doing wrong?

I was hoping to get a little advice on what might be causing some tow issues I've been having since purchasing my new rig, a Flagstaff Microlite 19FD. I bought it because the Gross Weight is 3946lbs, 3111lbs Unloaded. I've got a 2105 Jeep Cherokee with tow package and a max rating of 4500lbs. It's curb weight is around 4,000lbs.

I've been towing it completely unloaded, but when I get it on the highway, the Jeep starts to jerk around (like it's windy out) at around 65Mph. I thought that the hitch weight might be a little heavy at 446lbs, so I bought a weight distribution kit with anti sway, but that literally changed nothing in regards to highway handling.

Does anything jump out to anyone about those numbers? I thought it would be simple just by keeping the weight under specifications, but I'm having some issues. Help?
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

My guess is you do not have the hitch setup correctly. It's impossible to trouble shoot as we have no info on which hitch your using, how it's setup, etc. My suggestion is READ the hitch owners manual and see if you can find on-line video of proper install/setup. WDH will work wonders, however, only if they are setup/adjusted correctly for the tow vehicle & trailer they are attached too.

PS --GOOGLE is your friend when looking for a video!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

I did have the WD hitch professionally installed. It's the Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite. I fully intend to check out some videos on adjustment, I just never thought I'd have to do that after the pro install.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
I did have the WD hitch professionally installed. It's the Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite. I fully intend to check out some videos on adjustment, I just never thought I'd have to do that after the pro install.
Having the hitch installed by the dealer is no guarantee that is it done correctly. My setup was installed and adjusted by the dealer, and only put about 60 lbs. back on the front TV axle, from a 300+ lb. loss.

The Eaz-Lift 48058 has 1000 lb spring bars. 600 lb bars might give you a better (less stiff) ride. But the 1000 lbs. should definitive give you plenty of weight transfer, but I would have a bit of concern that such heavy spring bars could damage the trailer frame with a lite trailer.......or maybe I am just a worry-wart. That particular setup comes with friction sway control bar which needs to tightened down to work properly.

See if you can trade in the spring bars for 600 lb bars, and do the setup procedure as outlined in your manual. Once you get the WDH tuned in, and the friction sway system tightened up, your combo should drive much better.

Another thought: You said you are towing it totally unloaded. The tongue might not be heavy enough, which can cause sway. Loading up the front pass-thru with camping gear might help some. Also, the bathroom is in the very back, indicating that the gray and black tanks are there. Try to travel without anything in those tanks.....weight there will take weight off of the tongue, plus the liquid splashing around tends to cause sway.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

X2 on dealer setting up a hitch. Typically the dealer doesn't do a good job of setting up a WDH! Why? Good question! Just plan on doing it yourself if you want it done correctly (sorry to say, but true).
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #6

Prior to installing the WDH, I was getting minor wheel spin on the front during heavy acceleration. 446lbs on the hitch seemed like a high number for a 3111lb trailer, but that's what the spec sheet on the trailer said. All tanks are empty currently and there is no gear in it. The murphy bed setup does not allow for passthru storage, but in the up position provides plenty of weight on the front of the trailer.

I've read elsewhere on here about someone driving their setup to some scales. Is that something that's easily done?

You're saying if it's too light on the hitch I could have problems as well? Would installing a WDH exacerbate that?
Old 11-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Prior to installing the WDH, I was getting minor wheel spin on the front during heavy acceleration.
Now you should understand why a WDH is so important!!!

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
I've read elsewhere on here about someone driving their setup to some scales. Is that something that's easily done?
If you have a truck stop nearby, it's VERY easy.

Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Rarely have I seen RV dealers with any true "pro installers".
Can't tell you how many posts on RV forums, are about poorly installled WDHs by so-called "Pro" installers.
I would've recommended a WDH with integrated sway control, like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam, for your short wheelbase Jeep.
The EZ lift is a low end old tech WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #10

I have a TV of similar specs and a trailer of very similar empty weight (6501 Vibe). We are using a Blue Ox anti-sway/WDH set up to proper parameters.
At 70 mph we see some sway and the combo feels less stable. With short wheelbase vehicles like we have, and near equivalent TV/Trailer weight ratios, we are in the "tail wagging the dog" zone. I drive 65 and save myself some stress and potential problems.
My suggestion is increase the anti-sway friction/tension. As others shared, low tongue weight can cause unwanted sway, but your tongue weight is in the recommended 10%-15% of gross trailer weight for 3100 lbs. To keep the tongue weight on the heavier side at higher gross weights it should be easy enough to shift weight forward as previous posters suggested.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Prior to installing the WDH, I was getting minor wheel spin on the front during heavy acceleration.
On a Jeep Cherokee ?? Not sure how the new Jeeps function, but that should not be happening unless you are towing in 4 wheel drive.....which you should probably not do.

Or maybe the new Jeeps have some type of automatic AWD ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

Towing: What am I doing wrong?

This is a Cherokee not a grand Cherokee so it is FWD biased. Just so I have all the facts, you have the V6 with tow package. I towed a vibe 6501 ( similar weight and size to your Trailer) wth a minivan and having the WDH setup correct, (which the dealer did wrong) was critical to a smooth ride. I have a E2 and after I set it up I did not have any sway issues.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #13

No one has mentioned TV tire pressure. Be sure your TV vehicle tire pressure is right. You can't be interested in a soft ride when towing a trailer. My TV is a Yukon XL, 2500. My tire pressure - solo, front, 50 psi, rear 60 psi, towing, front 60 PSI, rear, 70 PSI.

Good luck
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
I was hoping to get a little advice on what might be causing some tow issues I've been having since purchasing my new rig, a Flagstaff Microlite 19FD. I bought it because the Gross Weight is 3946lbs, 3111lbs Unloaded. I've got a 2105 Jeep Cherokee with tow package and a max rating of 4500lbs. It's curb weight is around 4,000lbs.

I've been towing it completely unloaded, but when I get it on the highway, the Jeep starts to jerk around (like it's windy out) at around 65Mph. I thought that the hitch weight might be a little heavy at 446lbs, so I bought a weight distribution kit with anti sway, but that literally changed nothing in regards to highway handling.

Does anything jump out to anyone about those numbers? I thought it would be simple just by keeping the weight under specifications, but I'm having some issues. Help?
An anti-sway bar, you don't mention this, with weight distribution might help but....

I hate to tell you but it has been my experience that Jeeps have too small of a wheel base to tow much of anything. Had a 07 Jeep Renegade rated at 5300 if I remember right but anything over 3500 gave it a problem. I rolled it because of a snapped axel on the trailer. Replaced the trailer and went to replace the Jeep and dealer would not sell me one when I told him what I wanted to tow. He said Jeep should never be listing them for the tow weights they were listing.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #15

We used to tow a 1991 Road Ranger Monterey 18DT with a 1999 Grand Cherokee. Trailer dry listed at 3000# but I know we were probably at or near 4000# when fully loaded.
always used the old EZ Lift that came with it and never had handling issues. Personally, I don't exceed 60 mph with any travel trailer.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #16

Make sure the wheel lug nuts on the trailer are tightened up to spec. I had the same feel on my travel trailer and lost the entire wheel assy in OK city!! Sheared all 5 lug nuts.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #17

To set up the hitch correctly. Level your trailer, measure from the top of the hitch ball socket to the ground. This is your hitch height. Set the ball height on your hitch to that height as close as possible. Measure from a spot on your rear bumper of your Jeep to. The ground with out the trailer connected. Now attach the trailer to your Jeep attach the bars and adjust them so your Jeeps back bumper is the same height as measured with out the trailer. This should put you caster camber back to its proper alignment up front and hep you keep from wandering. By the way I agree that you bars are too stiff. You may have to tilt the hitch head to gain correct clearance to trailer frame.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #18

Couple things Id check (since i cant see the setup)
1. Check air pressure in all the tires. Especially on a the TV.
2. Try upping the set link on the WD bars.
3. If you have an anti-sway bar, try thightening it down another turn or two.
4. I had a problem like this with my 1/2 ton chevy full swing size van. Going fron P to LT tires helped tremendously.
5. Put the whole rig on level ground, loaded like you are going somewhere. Measure the front and rear frame to make sure you are not tonge high.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
I have a TV of similar specs and a trailer of very similar empty weight (6501 Vibe). We are using a Blue Ox anti-sway/WDH set up to proper parameters.
At 70 mph we see some sway and the combo feels less stable. With short wheelbase vehicles like we have, and near equivalent TV/Trailer weight ratios, we are in the "tail wagging the dog" zone. I drive 65 and save myself some stress and potential problems.
My suggestion is increase the anti-sway friction/tension. As others shared, low tongue weight can cause unwanted sway, but your tongue weight is in the recommended 10%-15% of gross trailer weight for 3100 lbs. To keep the tongue weight on the heavier side at higher gross weights it should be easy enough to shift weight forward as previous posters suggested.
Is the hitch you have the Blue Ox Sway Pro?
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #20

I had severe death wobble on my 1999 Cherokee. Had to replace the front end, steering stabilizer, and buy new tires and have them properly balanced. Jeep are prone to death wobble. You can Google it.

Tags
towing