Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 09:25 PM   #1

Towing with 2016 F150 Supercrew

I have a F150 with towing package and I'm looking for a good travel trailer that can accommodate between 5 and 6 people. I don't have experience towing, but would like to hear some recommendations for the proper size trailer. My current F150 is used as a daily driver to basically get things for the house at the local home center, etc.

The payload on the truck is 1834lbs and the towing rating comes in at 8900lbs (3.31 gears). I was looking at various Apex models. Unfortunately Nano editions are very limiting for us, so we'll most likely go towards something in the ultra lite category. A local dealer has 289LE on sale, the price seems right and we could potentially knock it down a little bit more. My problem with this trailer is that it's kind of hitch heavy at 720lbs. Dry weight of the trailer is 5654lbs and GVWR is 7600. Also it is rather long at 32 feet (bumper to hitch). The total weight of all passengers will be around 600lbs.

We will be towing this eventually across the US (from IL to CA).

Some of the upgrades that I would like to do:
- go with LT tires
- Airbags in the rear
- Equalizer hitch; maybe ProPride ($$$)

We are also thinking about Imagine 2400BH, but honestly I do like Coachmen product a bit better; I think primarily because they use Azdel.
luke79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

You should have plenty of options with that kinda of payload people will tell you that your truck is to small or that dry weights are useless but others will say the opposite. I would say go enjoy a day looking at trls that don’t exceed the the 8k range find a floor plan you enjoy make the upgrades you mentioned and enjoy
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Figure your trailer will be 6600-7000 lbs when optioned out, loaded, hitched, and ready to go. That's going to put around 850 lbs on your hitch. Add your 600 lbs of human cargo (that number needs to include the driver, not just the passengers). Add another 50-100 for the hitch. So, you're around 1,550 lbs. Still have 300 lbs for wood, gear, options on the truck, bikes, pets, heavier trailer load, etc.

Should be fine.

I'd expect the truck to already have LT tires on it. Mine came from the factory with LT. If not, then you need some, sure.

I love my Equalizer WDH, but my trailer is 6' shorter than yours.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Which tow package do you have? The regular one or the Max Tow package? With the 3.31 rear end probably means it has the regular tow package. That's your weak spot.

My 2014 F150 has the 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 3.73 rear end ratio. I have almost the same payload capacity.
I comfortably tow a 26ft TT with a loaded weight of around 6000lbs. Measured tongue weight is 750lbs.

For the number of people you want to sleep, a bunkhouse model is about all that can.
Airbags won't increase payload. They'll only help with rear end sag.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Which tow package do you have? The regular one or the Max Tow package? With the 3.31 rear end probably means it has the regular tow package. That's your weak spot.
Regular tow package, I think max changes gearing to 3.55.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
Regular tow package, I think max changes gearing to 3.55.
You must have a newer F150. Did your truck come with the integrated brake controller?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:42 AM   #7

My personal view...

Unless you need tires, stay with what you have and apply the $ to the ProPride hitch. My truck has 20" P rated tires and I haven't felt a need to change tires.
As noted, air bags will address rear end sag but does nothing to return weight to the front axle which IS critical, no weight on the front axle, no steering. Any good WD hitch will address the weight issue.
Air bags may help with porpoising if that bothers you. I have not installed one of those either.
The above is based on towing 20K+ miles with a ProPride hitch, both a 2016 and 2018 F150 and the trailer in my signature which weighs in at 7k lbs.

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #8

I have a 16 F150 and a 7K fully loaded 30' trailer. It is very tongue heavy. I have been on long and short trips. The biggest concerns I would have is sway and weight. Your trailer will be longer and weigh more than your truck. The tail will wag the dog.

With that many people I would be way over my weight limits even maxing at 600lbs. Dont forget kids grow fast so 50lbs this year is 100lbs next year. The few times we have had to take that many folks we took another car. Normally it is just 3 of us and maybe a small dog. You have decent payload so hopefully you have some room to grow. You may be fine as every trailer is different.

With that trailer you will see squatting. My truck was hopping on bumps. I bolted on timbrens to resolve that. Airbags work too. Neither helps your weight problem.

I had sway in 20mph cross winds with a 30' trailer. I upgraded to the Propride and will never go back. The propride will get you there and is worth the money as someone who tried to pull without it. It has kept me in the F150 another season before upgrading trucks. This will also not help you with a weight problem because the hitch is 260lbs but it tends to be able to offset itself. I will still use the propride with a new truck.

Sailorsam20500 is right about priority. LT tires will improve the ride but wont change the loading sticker so you still have the weight problem anyway and from my experience the tires alone did not solve stability but the propride sure did. Dont get me wrong LT tires helped but money better spent was on the propride.

Good luck, but be ready to make some tough choices if you have to upgrade trucks or downsize trailers later. Getting close to limits can become very expensive very quickly if you gambled on the wrong side and need a major change on the truck or TT. If you can find something lighter it would be cheaper in the long run but not sure if you can sleeping that many.

I think you could make it work but it will be very close. Someone else will have to tell you about CA as I have no direct experience but I hear they weigh everything so make sure you are legal and feel safe.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You must have a newer F150. Did your truck come with the integrated brake controller?
No it didn't. It was a $500 add on. I can get the one from Ford or something else. $500 for brake controller is a little steep.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #10

I think my main issue is the ability to control the sway. I think that Apex is too large so we'll look at something else or maybe a smaller Apex. I really want to make the current truck work. I don't see myself upgrading tow vehicles right now as it can be very expensive. Also I can still park F150 in the garage; F250 most likely won't fit.

What would you guys recommend for a TT for the current F150 for the family of 4-5?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #11

With the 3:31, your MPG is going to really suck.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

We had a 2017 Shasta Flyte 265 DBH that we towed with an F-150 we used to have. It also had 3:31 and the ecoboost, No issues at all with power and decent MPGS. It had a queen bed up front, and two double bunks in the rear. It had one slide and had a dry wiehgt of about 5700 LBS or so. I think this will be the size you want to look at. You will see many different ones with this type of floor plan, where the bunks are on one side or the other at the back , Not a bunkhouse mind you. Ours would sleep 6 in the beds and nother if we wanted too with the fold down table. The ONLY issues I had with this camper, and it is a common one you will want o be aware of with these types of smaller campers that can fit 4-6 people in them, Is that the Girls would sleep in the bunks and leave all their clothes and bags on the floor in front of the bunks to have more room, whcih meant you were often stepping over them to get into the dinette or open the bathroom door. Also, by design, the wider bunks that fit 2 people seem to have issues with airflow gettinginto them, so they are a little warmer ona hot night. We solved it with mounting fans in the bunks. That was one of the reasons we moved up to a full bunk house though, and the kids always insist on bringing other friends along to camp with us. But we were very Happy with that camper and it may be the size/ floorplan that will work with your wants and still be good and light to tow with your truck. There are several models of various makes and models that have similar amenitites with bunks in the rear.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #13

We had a 2011 F150 EB SCAB XLT with 3:55 rear. It had what was called a 7200LB GVWR package. This put our effective weight distributed tow capacity at 9800lbs. Our payload was 1700lbs. It is just my wife and I (retired) so we went with a 2016 Rockwood 2703WS. That unit averaged about 7500lbs loaded out but the tongue weight was crazy. Close to 1000lbs. This truck was a daily driver that could tow. I had 190,000+ miles on that truck.

We had to be careful with what we put into the bed. We put Airlift 5000's to control the sag and the movement.

We put 15,000 miles on that combination but I was very aware that we were very close on everything. We now (four months) have a 2016 F250 SD 6.2l gas. Very comfortable now and no payload concerns.

My point here is that you have a very capable machine in your F150 EB and should be looking at something in the 5 to 6K lb range. Be conscious of your payload and understand that you WILL want airbags for stability and LT tires for the same reason. Also, another difference in your situation as compared to mine is the number of people that may actually be in your truck. That will be counted as payload.

Now the fun starts! Go on line and start looking at rigs and then find a couple dealers and go take a look!

Marty
Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
We had a 2017 Shasta Flyte 265 DBH that we towed with an F-150 we used to have. It also had 3:31 and the ecoboost, No issues at all with power and decent MPGS. It had a queen bed up front, and two double bunks in the rear. It had one slide and had a dry wiehgt of about 5700 LBS or so. I think this will be the size you want to look at. You will see many different ones with this type of floor plan, where the bunks are on one side or the other at the back , Not a bunkhouse mind you. Ours would sleep 6 in the beds and nother if we wanted too with the fold down table. The ONLY issues I had with this camper, and it is a common one you will want o be aware of with these types of smaller campers that can fit 4-6 people in them, Is that the Girls would sleep in the bunks and leave all their clothes and bags on the floor in front of the bunks to have more room, whcih meant you were often stepping over them to get into the dinette or open the bathroom door. Also, by design, the wider bunks that fit 2 people seem to have issues with airflow gettinginto them, so they are a little warmer ona hot night. We solved it with mounting fans in the bunks. That was one of the reasons we moved up to a full bunk house though, and the kids always insist on bringing other friends along to camp with us. But we were very Happy with that camper and it may be the size/ floorplan that will work with your wants and still be good and light to tow with your truck. There are several models of various makes and models that have similar amenitites with bunks in the rear.
We're also looking at that Imagine 2400BH I mentioned at the very beginning. The numbers are very close to that Shasta.

I just looked at the sticker on the door this morning and our payload is 1884 lbs. Standard passenger tires. Rear GAWR is 3800lb and front is rated at 3450 lb.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
We're also looking at that Imagine 2400BH I mentioned at the very beginning.
Grand Designs are nice, but be aware that they have/had axle issues and issued recalls. Caveat emptor.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #16

Quote:
No it didn't. It was a $500 add on. I can get the one from Ford or something else. $500 for brake controller is a little steep.
You can get them on eBay brand new for a lot less. You just have to get your ECU programmed or do it yourself with Forscan.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You can get them on eBay brand new for a lot less. You just have to get your ECU programmed or do it yourself with Forscan.
The price I mentioned is from the dealer. I know they range from 100-200 online, but you still have to take it to the dealer to enable it, which is super stupid, but that's how Ford makes money.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Grand Designs are nice, but be aware that they have/had axle issues and issued recalls. Caveat emptor.

Safe and happy travels.
This is why we bought a Rockwood 2509S
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #19

Quote:
The price I mentioned is from the dealer. I know they range from 100-200 online, but you still have to take it to the dealer to enable it, which is super stupid, but that's how Ford makes money.
You can enable it with Forscan. Find someone that has it or see how much Ford charges. The integrated controller is vastly superior to anything aftermarket.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
This is why we bought a Rockwood 2509S
You mean like the ones with torsion axles that have welds break?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...me-175960.html

Tags
f150, towing