Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #41

Hi guys, completely forgot to report!
Well, the trip went well, i was worried a lot about the tranny overheating, motor not being powerful enough, suspension being too soft etc....
None of these issues really surfaced besides the truck sagging a little in the rear. I did have an extra leaf put in, and installed the recommended transmission cooler(thanks etrailer.com!!!! great product and service) before the trip.
Truck did great, on some of the hills it did slow down, but not to the point where i felt i was pushing it too much. We did close to 55mp/h throughout the whole 1100km trip.
I must admit that the 4.8 with 3.43 ratio did really good. The only thing i missed was braking with the engine when in tow mode. My 2008 2500HD does it, apparently 1500 don't.

The only hickup that i had was my brand new Tekonsha P3 controller. I could not get that damn thing to work properly! Tried different settings for trailer sizes, boost, etc... and either it would brake just a littlebit at the beginning of braking and a little more at the end, but i felt my truck was doing most of the work, OR when larger trailer selected and less or more boost it would brake OK the way i wanted it, and then at stop it would almost lockup the wheels and my trailer was jerking. At this point im thinking that i should have left my manual/slide brake controller and regret buying the Tekonsha. Anyone else with similar problems before i make a thread out of it?

BTW i did not have a WdH or sway bars and it pulled fine with wind and semis.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #42

2009 Silverado, 5.3L, 3.73 4spd auto, pulling a Roo 19 at about 4000lbs. P3 controller.

My controller's set about 6.9 and I haven't had any of the problems you're describing. Did you set the boost per the instructions? (If I recall, they say you should increase the boost until you just get wheel lockup if you manually hit the trailer brakes while doing about 25 mph.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #43

have not read all the posts on this one....however, if you do not have a transmission cooler on ur truck (included in the trailer pkg) get one....soon. they are cheap.

Otherwise you will keep your local transmission repair man very happy..

just my .02
SKYDRIFTER350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing