Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Engineer of Crazy Train

HeLimey

The gears hurt you the most. 3.31 gears are not meant for towing. I got 3.73 in my Liberty and thinking about 4.10 to keep he engine in its sweet spot in 4th gear.

On rv.net, there is a forum about towing in the 60s and 70s (for me 70s and 80s). Makes me remember back when I was a kid and camping (we tent camped) and seeing people with their wagons and cars and some vans pulling into the campground with trailers. Some, I swear the bumper was dragging. Bet you no one worried if they were 50lbs over. Go have fun with your camper. Drive safely and get there and enjoy life.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

you can't go by what's stamped on the receiver. you have to look at what the specs of your Expy are.
the numbers on the receiver, are what it's rated for, no matter what vehicle it's been put on.

you need to rely on your owner's manual specs. without the HD tow package, i'm afraid you have the lower number.

but you need to find out which rear end ratio you have. a ford dealer can tell you based on the VIN.

that's the problem with SUV's, big engines but poor payload numbers.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Dan

The numbers stamped on the receiver are the same as the ones in the manual (actually the numbers havent changed even for 2013 Expedition...it is still 600/6000 for standard tow package and 895/8950 for HD tow package).

I dont know what the axle ratio is so I can find out from Ford what that is. Even if it is a 3.31 how does that factor in, as I have towed popups before with no issue?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLimey View Post
Dan

The numbers stamped on the receiver are the same as the ones in the manual (actually the numbers havent changed even for 2013 Expedition...it is still 600/6000 for standard tow package and 895/8950 for HD tow package).

I dont know what the axle ratio is so I can find out from Ford what that is. Even if it is a 3.31 how does that factor in, as I have towed popups before with no issue?
Popups vs TT are 2 different animals. There is umpteen times more frontal area on a TT. Example on weight vs frontal area... One dude I know in the CRD forums tows 7000lb generators and gets better fuel economy than me towing a 4500lb TT.

The question that I would be asking, me being more open minded is, between the Std and Hd, are the hitches different (besides the sticker) and is the suspension different. If they are the same, I'd go for it. Again, this is coming from someone who use to tow 42ft race car trailers with my 91 F350 and never went over a scale to see how overloaded I was.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #15

From talking to the guys at eTrailers.com and also to the RV dealer (RVdirect) I am getting different answers as to the purpose of a weight distributing hitch. The eTrailers guys are telling me that a WD hitch allows extra trailer weight to be handled and distributes that weight to the front of the car, however it does nothing to distribute the tongue weight, so if the trailer (as in this case with the Shamrock – 647lbs) has a tongue weight over the car’s maximum (which it does as the Expedition only has a 600lb tongue weight) you cant pull that trailer regardless of whether you have a WD hitch or not.
The service manager at the dealer is saying that a WD hitch distributes the tongue weight and presumably the trailer weight (although he went on to say that using a WD hitch doesn’t allow you to tow a heavier trailer (you must still be within your car’s limit) but does allow you to tow a trailer with a heavier (i.e. > maximum for your car) tongue weight).
Does anyone have any idea which is right? I am inclined to believe the eTrailer guys as they won’t even sell me a WD hitch as they are like you can’t pull that trailer.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLimey View Post
Dan

good to know that the numbers match, that's not common.

as ChooChooMan says, low frontal popups and high frontal travel trailers are two totally different things.
it's the air resistance of a TT that affects mpg more than the trailer's weight and also additional torque needed to pull it.
it's always called pulling a 5000lbs. barn door through the air.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote