Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #1

Towing with a Tahoe

I recently bought a Shamrock 233S and will be towing it with a chevy tahoe. As far as weight im good to go but does anyone have suggestions on dealing with the sway in regards to the short wheelbase? Getting a new vehicle is not in the cards at this time. Thanks in advance. (BTW i do have a WD hitch and sway bars).
Sappy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #2
Site Team

with a good WDH, you should be fine, since it's a 233S.

i'm not a fan of old tech WDHs with friction anti-sway bars.
i prefer newer tech WDHs with integrated sway control. Like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam.

but without you posting the specs of your Tahoe, it's kinda hard to guess.
just saying it's a Tahoe, doesn't really say enough.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Good points by bikendan.
Does your Tahoe have rear springs or leafs?
Does it have a factory tow package such as stiff suspension, transmission cooler, and frame mounted hitch receiver?
What year model Tahoe since designs change over time.
Engine size?
Transmission type?
If you have the owner's manual, it will tell you what GMC believes you can safely tow.
Do you have an electric brake controller?
All these factors will make a big difference when the 18-wheeler blows by you at 75 mph and you start dancin' on the highway. In fact, I find the big motorhomes to cause me to sway due to the flat face.

My new E2 hitch is much better than my old chain type LDH.

I installed Hellwig Helper Springs on my pickup to keep that left-right away at a minimum. They work great.
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #4

Your Tahoe is a nice vehicle, but it needs to be set-up correctly in order to tow. First of all, you need to make sure you have the right axle ratio or you'll be headed for transmission trouble (my brother-in-law found that out the hard way). Secondly the short wheelbase is definitely an issue, and I would suggest the best solution is to use a Hensley hitch. I used a Hensley when I used to tow with a GMC Envoy and it made a world of difference so that I could safely pull a 30 foot trailer.
Breimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #5

tahoe towing

I have a 2007 chev tahoe with a 5.3 motor and 3.73 rear axle ratio . I have towed a 2004 surveyor 233t for three years and now have been towing a 2011 rockwood 2604ss for six years . The best additions i use are reese dual hitch assy and the best are rear coil spring air lifts to go inside the coil springs .I 've no problems towing on highways or the adirondack mountains .Just my two cents . Good Luck
2010 Camping Nights 42
adkjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimert View Post
I would suggest the best solution is to use a Hensley hitch. I used a Hensley when I used to tow with a GMC Envoy and it made a world of difference so that I could safely pull a 30 foot trailer.
The OP is pulling an ultralight 24' hybrid trailer with a truck chassis vehicle, not a 30' trailer with a undersized unibody CUV.
Your combo demands using a Hensley, theirs doesn't.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #7

I pull a Rockwood 2509 with an 04 Tahoe. Good hitch with sway control, trailer break and factory tow package. Little weak puling hills but feels fine on the flat at 70+
RJKerr83301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #8

I have a 2016 tahoe, 5.3L V-8, break control installed, trailering equipment from manufacturer. As far as ratio I have the 3.08. I have a EZ lift WD setup including two sway bars.
Sappy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Working at retired:D

Properly set up hitch is very important. I've used Equalizer and round bar with two friction brake control, both worked when set up correctly. Stiff side wall truck tires and added Helwig sway bars on TV will help. If your TV has coil springs may want to stiffen up with air. You'll still feel some push but shouldn't be white knuckle. With 3.08 axle you won't have a lot of acceleration. May consider transmission cooler if not already installed. Your needs may vary depending on where, how far and how often you will be towing. My son in law tows 6000lb 26' TT with Tahoe. He doesn't go fast but has no problems with an Equalizer hitch.
Don't rely on a dealer to set up your hitch. More often than not they get it wrong.

2017 Wildcat 301RES - 2017 Ford F-250
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Broken Toe

One other thing I'd do...

Hitch up and go to a big, open parking lot. I recommend a high-school on the weekend when no one is there. Practice backing. That Tahoe with its short wheelbase is gonna be a totally different breed of cat when backing up, and I think it'll jackknife in a heartbeat if you don't watch it.

Get a few soft things like cones or plastic trash cans to define a parking space, and practice backing in from different approach angles till you have a good feel for how quick it cuts, and how far you can pivot before you can no longer 'catch it' and straighten back out.

9pm in the dark at your first campground is not the place to learn those things.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #11

We towed our TT with our 2014 Tahoe and with a properly set up hitch, sway shouldn't be an issue. We certainly didn't have issues with our setup. That said, I don't see your TV specs. We had the 5.3L with a 3.42 rear end, the 6-speed tranny and the HD tow package. The max tow weight on ours was 8100 lbs because I had the 4WD and Z71 off-road package. It towed very well on the flats with no headwind but long climbs caused it to get hot. I turned the A/C off and that helped a whole lot. As for backing up, as others have mentioned, the short wheel base can be an issue but if you use your head and steer from the bottom of the steering wheel, the trailer will go in the direction you move the wheel very nicely. A small move on the steering wheel produces significant movement, so a light touch is all that is necessary. Just need to follow the trailer in as you get it lined up. Practice in a school parking lot, especially backing into a parking slot if you have room is a great way to practice, build skills and gain confidence.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to take it to a CAT Scale and weight it. No point guessing about your load or payload for that matter.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
Sham183

Make sure you are at the magic number for tongue weight 10-15% of the weight of the TT. Look at your tires are they the P rated or standard passenger tires? If they are I would consider for your set up some LT tires. I tow with Chevy traverse and a 183 TT and just put XL rated tires on and it made a huge difference with stability. I have a blue ox sway pro for WDH and I like like it.

The one question I have is are you experiencing sway or is it a wiggle or buffering of the vehicle? Is the trailer actually giving you sway or does it track behind you well? Like others have stated if your dealer set up your hitch it’s probably wrong. I would double check all your numbers and make sure your good. Is your hitch rated for your set up? Simple things to look at before you start chasing your tail. Good luck and happy towing.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing