Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Towing with a Trailblazer or upgrade Silverado?

My wife and I's tow vehicle is;

Chevy Trailblazer 2WD L6 engine
axle ratio 3.42
max trailer weight 5,400lbs
GVW 5,550lbs
GCWR 10,000lbs
Basic tow package (hitch and lights)

Getting another tow vehicle is not an option and I would prefer not to tent or pop-up camp. Since weight and size is an issue, what are my options? I've looked long and hard at a Surveyor SV291 and a Rockwood 2701SS. Are these viable options? Does anyone have any experience towing with this vehicle?

mmbabineaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
I think you might want to looks smaller. I currently have a 2701ss and originally was going to tow with an expedition. i towed it once to get it home with the expedition. Weight-wise it was all good, the 119" wheelbase did make it feel a little uncomfortable. I have since upgraded my TV with a f-150 that has a 138" wheelbase and it is night and day.

Now, I'm not trying to be the weight police here but I would have to say that loaded, my 2701ss i pretty close to the 6000 to 6100 lb range. That would put it over your Trailblazers limits.

P.S. There is another member on this forum who used to tow a 2701ss with a Trailblazer. His ID is Spepi. You might want to PM him for his thoughts too.

2008 Rockwood 2701ss
2008 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.4L PSD
Reese DC WD hitch
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
I also have a

Chevy Silverado C-1500 Crew Cab 2WD 4.8L V8
axle ratio 3.23
max trailer weight 4,600lbs
GVW 6,800lbs
GCWR 10,000lbs

Would it be possible to upgrade it to be able to tow more weight? Besides a hitch/tow package and transmission cooler, what else would need to be done? I'm trying to figure out what my best options are before I put any money down on a camper.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
I know you can change your gear ratio to 4.1, we were going to do that but after a lot of research and talking to our mechanic and dealership , it was determined that our TV was fine. And after buying our new TT and pulling it, yes, we do feel it back there but my RPM's are very good. I tow it in the tow haul mode. which increase you gear ration by 10% . Btw, it will cost about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars to change your gear ratio

hope this helps.
Steve and Michelle
two boys, and One yellow lab
831KRSS 2008
2004 Chev.Avalanche
Stelrs59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
I think that the two rears that are mentioned are high speed rears, which means gas milage wise. For GM a 3:73 rear is the smallest tow rear that is installed with a tow package from the factory. High speed rears do have some tow capacity but not much. So Beware, if you become over loaded and try to tow too much you will be spending money for a new rear. The tow rate not only depends on the rear but also the engine.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Upgrading my Silverado seems to be the best option. Paying under $3,000 to upgrade from 4,600# to 6,600# will work perfect.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
I have driven a trailblazer for several years. I has all it wants to handle with a 18' light weight flat trailer and 4 utility atvs on it. When I hook up to the 18' bass boat and run 65 on the highway for 35 miles it heats the trany to boiling. So beware of pulling anything of any size. My2cents and experience.

fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote