Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Towing with a Tundra

Hey guys, new to the site and new to the camper life style. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 w/ 5.7 with the tow package and tranny cooler for a tow vehicle. My father in law came across a friend who is selling a 2010 Sandstorm 203slc toy hauler for an unbelievable price and it was offered to us first, and we are tired of tents. We will be traveling at most, besides normal gear, with a CanAm Commander 1000 and I'm looking for advice. I've seen people discuss in the topics about Sway control hitches, Weight distributing hitches, and airbags. I've thought about getting airbags but looking for the best option and what I "need" as opposed to what's recommended. We also happen to be moving into a new house so temporarily a new truck is out of the question, however I do have my eyes set on a 3/4 ton diesel when the time comes . So I guess I'm just looking for the "expert" opinions and some advice as to what I have to look foreword too. Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be part of your community now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	58167  
Brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

And here's my whip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	58168  
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
DDC

Welcome, if you start out with no sway you never need to worry about controlling it,and, to do that you need either a Hensley or a Pro-Pride hitch, a bit more expensive but a heck of a lot safer.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

What is the tongue weight of the TT and what is the max weight of the TT loaded? WDH is highly recommended. There are a lot of different opinions on which brand is best so I would do a search on here and make a decision for what would be best for you.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhog View Post
Hey guys, new to the site and new to the camper life style. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 w/ 5.7 with the tow package and tranny cooler for a tow vehicle. My father in law came across a friend who is selling a 2010 Sandstorm 203slc toy hauler for an unbelievable price and it was offered to us first, and we are tired of tents. We will be traveling at most, besides normal gear, with a CanAm Commander 1000 and I'm looking for advice. I've seen people discuss in the topics about Sway control hitches, Weight distributing hitches, and airbags. I've thought about getting airbags but looking for the best option and what I "need" as opposed to what's recommended. We also happen to be moving into a new house so temporarily a new truck is out of the question, however I do have my eyes set on a 3/4 ton diesel when the time comes . So I guess I'm just looking for the "expert" opinions and some advice as to what I have to look foreword too. Thanks for your help and I'm glad to be part of your community now!
You might as well go out and start looking at the numbers on your truck pillar. Folks here will be asking for them shortly along with the weight numbers from the trailer if you can get them. Then hold on.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

Here are the numbers as I've found:

Toy hauler specs:
Dry weight- 5292lbs.
GVWR- 7661lbs.

Tundra Specs:
Curb weight- 5760lbs.
Max Payload- 1440lbs.
GVWR- 7200lbs.
GAWR- front: 4000lbs.
rear: 4150lbs.
Tow capacity- 9800lbs.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Most important weight missing. Tongue weight of th. I tow with Tundra and can tell you, definitely need wdh and anti sway bar. Airbags are nice add-on also. I would definitely weigh tongue with can am loaded. Might get a little light with the rear weight added.
Looks like a good deal and is probably doable but you're wise to seek safety advice here. Others will chime in soon. Enjoy and welcome.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You look to be within your weight range IMO, but payload could be approaching max limits, if that matters to you. You will probably find that the truck will grunt a bit when put under load, and may be running high rpms on the roads to keep the HP up. Get a good WDH, airbags may help (as Tundras tend to be a little soft up top), and you should be good.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

Thanks guys, researching online and all I can find is a tongue weight of 661lbs., not sure if they included the generator. I figured the CanAm would help relieve some weight as it weighs 1200lbs. it self and it has the fuel station in the back. You think it'll sag that much even with the tow package, stiffer springs? Do you guys have any recommendations on the particular hitches?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhog View Post
Thanks guys, researching online and all I can find is a tongue weight of 661lbs., not sure if they included the generator. I figured the CanAm would help relieve some weight as it weighs 1200lbs. it self and it has the fuel station in the back. You think it'll sag that much even with the tow package, stiffer springs? Do you guys have any recommendations on the particular hitches?
Most like the hitches with the built in sway control, and though there are multiple brands they all tend to work fairly well, (when set up properly). You want to make sure you have enough weight on your hitch. As you add weight to cargo area, you need to add weight to front to compensate. Most toy haulers are already weight biased to the tongue to account for some of this, but you don't want to get too light in front! All the guys that I know personally around here, that drive Tundras, have added air springs. You can always add the WDH, tow the camper, then add air springs if needed.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #11

WDH and sway control. Stay at or under the trailer's GVWR, and avoid hauling a full rick of firewood, golf cart, or ATV in the bed.

Your spring bars need to be rated for what the tounge weight will be. If you add 1K pounds to the trailer, than the spring bars need to be at or just above. I run 550# bars on a 5500# trailer, do just fine.

I tow with a '12 Tundra, just like yours except a double cab (best truck I've ever had.) CCC will be fine unless you have to take your entire garage with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #12

Thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Site Team

And. If you have the 5.7L your engine won't even grunt when pulling that TT. Even in mountains. All concerns should be focused on cargo and pin weights. Our tundras have a great ride because of the softer rear suspension. Address that issue and you'll love it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405362925995.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	58183  

Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Welcome, if you start out with no sway you never need to worry about controlling it,and, to do that you need either a Hensley or a Pro-Pride hitch, a bit more expensive but a heck of a lot safer.
This guy^^^ has this line copied and pastes it just about every time he finds that chance for it to fit the situation...

I feel that you will be toward the top end of your limits with the Tundra but they are monsters. I am personally not a fan of them but still willing to give credit where it is due as I have seen many rigs pulled by the tundra places I wouldn't even have imagined.

A set of air bags and a good hitch will keep you safe and comfortable. The air bags will probably become a "must" almost instantly for you most likely.

I do agree with DDC though and pro pride or hensley is superior to any other hitch. They are not always needed but do add some serious security to the rig as they create a pivot point over the rear axle of the truck to pivot like a 5th wheel rather than sway like a bumper pull. They are pricey and heavy. I was able to purchase my unit through the site when someone switched over to a 5th wheel. I am %100 satisfied and glad I purchased it.

If you are planning to step up to a diesel puller in the next couple of years you may not want to invest quite so much in the hitch as the diesel itself will add weight to the tow vehicle which creates a much more stable rig.

One more thing to consider is where and when you plan to tow as well as how far... if you are planning long trips in and out of the mountains a more expensive hitch may be worth the investment, if you are planning to be an hour from home a couple times a year then maybe not.

A lot of things to consider as the market is saturated with hitches, but the propride and hensley truly are worth the money...

All things aside, set up correctly your truck will handle the trailer...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
And. If you have the 5.7L your engine won't even grunt when pulling that TT. Even in mountains. All concerns should be focused on cargo and pin weights. Our tundras have a great ride because of the softer rear suspension. Address that issue and you'll love it.

DC I do have the 5.7, and I see you have the mysterious fifth wheel tundra! I've heard of people pulling but never seen it. I also heard you need a "double offset" to accomplish? I guess when I pay for it in the next week or so I'll have to take a run around town to figure things out. Do you have air ride?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Site Team

I have airlift bags. Heres my previous 5er. And the rockwood has the revolution pin box for short bed trucks. Pulling this 5er is easy for the 5.7 but the weight on the truck is evident without the loadlifter 5000 airbags.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Team

Tundra and wildcat 29rlbs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405366484837.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	58188  

Old 07-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #18

I can only add to the above that E-rated tires on the Tundra and a good brake controller is a must. With the other recommendations and the above you should be OK. I run with air bags on mine, I am over payload by a good bit.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Site Team

Yes. Forgot about that. I did use my original c rated tires til worn but then went to e rated. Love the Michelin Es.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
2014 XLR 27HFS

I have a 2011 Tundra. Added a road master anti-sway bar to the rear. Also got a weight distribution hitch with anti sway (below). After my first toyhauler, I knew I wanted to get a really good one. With bikes in the back a passing semi can give you a white knuckle ride.
Attached Images

Tags
towing, tundra