Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #41
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
You could also get it all set up for camping and then go get it weighted at a Cat Scale and get real numbers.....

CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale
That is the only true way to know what you have and what everything g ACTUALLY weighs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #42

2454lbs is pretty good. Take from that your tongue weight and anything else that will be in the truck and see where you stand. Wheel base may be a problem as far as stability goes. You'll need a good hitch with a really good sway control.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #43

Towed with Tahoe - not good

Hi,

When I got my first large travel trailer, I was convinced that my Chev. Tahoe would tow just fine. Didn't squat much and all looked well. However, actual towing was a white knuckle experience, especially on a windy day. It was all I could do at interstate speed to keep within two lanes going the same direction. Furthermore, my fuel economy was in the 5 to 7 mpg neighborhood. It took me one trip to decide that I needed a proper tow vehicle. I moved to a 3/4 ton diesel and all is well with the world. Total stability and tremendous power climbing hills, plus 11 to 12 mpg. Don't do the Expedition, you won't be happy.

Rick
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #44

We had the hardest time trying to figure this stuff out! At first we only knew the "dry weight" of our RV. Then I found a sticker on the front left side of the RV with the weight after dealer added options (I can't figure out what they are....at least for the weight difference)

Our dry weight is listed at 4300#
The dealer sticker in the front says 5200#

Our original truck pulled and stopped fine with a 6000# capacity for the most part. It dogged enough on the hills in Tallahassee and in Orlando to convince us that we needed a new truck.

So, we bought a 1500 Silverado with a 9500# capacity. The truck is completely empty other than Hubs, Me, 45 pounds of pup and 80 pounds of "stuff." So, by my calculations, we are a-okay with the new truck and were really not okay with the old truck.

FWIW- dealer told us that we were buying very conservatively when we bought our rv and only had our old truck.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #45

I am seeing you are going around in a huge circle driving yourself NUTS in trying to follow a number of different people, i would stick with some real facts i will post both the towing guide from Trailer life and from ford so you have all the towing info you will ever need.
This topic if you let it will drive you crazy so just read the info at these two sites;
1) Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
2)2007 Ford F150 Specifications - Ford-Trucks.com
3)Making an Expedition a better towing machine - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I hoep this helps you out and in the end Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #46
Site Team

I has been said several times in this thread, but seems to keep getting lost. The critical parameter in this and many smaller tow vehicle decisions is NOT the towing capacity it IS the load capacity of the tow vehicle. These are two very different things.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

I agree... My truck is rated (from chevy) to pull 26,000lbs but I will never be able to that much. It is all about CCC.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #48
1coolhall

pulling with expy

the expedition i pulled with did fine. the wheel base is a little shorter than most trucks.i would pull with a 2012 expy before i would pull with an older f-150 with less tow rating. thats just me.i do agree you need to check you wait payload.
lee h hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing