Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #11

Allen: it is 3500 with a class 2 hitch. We have a class 3 hitch and heavy duty transmission and oil cooler. We never tow in overdrive mode and like I said only in level roads. My van pull the trailer with no problem. Our speed is around 90 kilometers per hour. Good luck with your 2109s it is a new addition foe 2011 in their catalogue. Our also is a 2011

Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #12

Allen: I dont know if you have bought your brake controller yet but my dealer suggested for the ninilite the tekonsha primus that we had installed by the dealer. It is a famous brake controller with extremely smooth braking. Just an idea Capucine

Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Allen: I dont know if you have bought your brake controller yet but my dealer suggested for the ninilite the tekonsha primus that we had installed by the dealer. It is a famous brake controller with extremely smooth braking. Just an idea Capucine
i'm sorry, but the Tekonasha Prodigy is way more famous and popular than the older technology Primus.
costs less than $99 and is a much better BC than the Primus.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm sorry, but the Tekonasha Prodigy is way more famous and popular than the older technology Primus.
costs less than $99 and is a much better BC than the Primus.
I'll second the P3. I believe it comes with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

happy camping,
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #15

I had a ford flex same type of vehicle as yours. I bought a used truck for towing. Never was comfortable towing with the unibody Car
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #16

There are unibody vehicles with decent tow capabilities: 7000# for the Volkswagen Touareg (Porsche Cayenne), the BMW X5 at 6000#, the Traverse/Acadia at 5200#, Toyota Higlander at 5000#, Honda Pilot at 5000#. Wheel base is also a factor.

In countries where gas is sold at $4-5+ a gallon, people tow with these vehicles.

I have travelled over 5000 miles last summer with a Shamrock 19 and Toyota Highlander, Equal-i-zer hitch and P3 - synthetic oil and a extraordinary 5-speed tip-tronic tranny - it tows like a charm it work hard yes - but it works well. Hills in West Virginia and all.

Yes a V8 pickup would be great - but it's not a must-have for trailers with GVWRs less than tow ratings. It's only a nice to have.
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #17
Moderators' Assistant

thing is, miatared, those vehicles mentioned, don't get much better mpg than the newer v-8 engined trucks/SUV.
the Pilot/Highlander/Traverse only gets a mile or two better than a v-8 Tahoe or Yukon or Sierra or Silverado.

this misconception that a v-6 truck or SUV gets much better mpg than those with a v-8, is still something that the public believes.
i also believed this fairy tale at one time. until i educated myself and looked at the real numbers.
i really thought that since it's a smaller engine and vehicle, that it should naturally get significantly better gas mileage.
i found that the newer v-8 technology has surpassed that of the v-6. the only exception to that is the new Ford v-6 econoboost.
hopefully, v-6 engine technology will start catching up and start putting some distance in mpg ratings, from the newer v-8 engines.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #18

i agree bikendan the whole v6 is better than v8 is really misleading

my wife and were gonna get the nissan pathfinder using the sname platform as my big nissan armada, my armada has only one engine choice. but the pathfinder we were orrigionaly gonna get had the v6 & v8 option

the v6 got 1.5mpg better than the v8 option (same exact engine that i have in my armada) we had test driven both the jeep liberty and jeep grand cherokee. again only 1-2mpg tops between the big v6 and the "economical v6 and the honda ridgeline we liked except that it gets worse gas mileage than most small trucks and its gas mileage is nearly the same as my big ol armada only with 4,000 lbs less towing and 2 times less cargo space and 2 less rows of usable seating.

Ill be honest the honda ridgeline would be an awesome lil weekender truck if its realworld MPH wasnt 14mpg!

i
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #19

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
No matter what the Tow rating is, pulling with a Uni-body is a bad idea, one cant see....they are frame-less vehicles,yes they add the trans-cooler and this and that, but you cant get away with the fact it is a uni-body. I was told by the Local Ford Dealer That the New re-designed 2011 Explorer is a Uni-body now and even with the tow package. (rated at 5000lbs, i believe). They (Ford Company)have told the dealers NOT to tell people to tow with it because it a uni-body. I was looking at buying one as a second Vehicle + using it to pull my 3000lbs. Cargo trailer. They said NO No ....unibody..told me to pick up something used to pull it ...something that has a frame. Will a uni-body pull what they say,yes...how long it will say together is another question all of its own !! Just my thoughts....just fell off the soap box. I be quiet now...sorry!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #20

I pulled a 2000 lb popup with a mazda tribute (unibody, 6cyl, FWD, Auto) It was fine on level roads, forget about it for the hills. If you do use the traverse please get a brake controller, I reccomend the Prodigy controller and an Equilizer hitch.

Tags
lite towing, traverse