Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Towing with Chevy Traverse

Anyone out there who has pulled with a Chevy Traverse? I am purchasing a Rockwood mini lite 2109s ( max wt 4700 lbs) and thinking of pulling it with my Chevy ( rated at 5200 lbs max towing wt).

Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
it seems to be within your specs. but the 5200 rating is if you have the full factory tow package. if you don't, you can't tow that much. i think it's only 2500lbs. without the tow package.

that trailer will weigh about 4000lbs. on the lot, with battery and propane.
and remember, you have to subtract the weight of anything in the Traverse other than a 150lb. driver, from the 5200 number.
so, for example, the wife weighs 150lb.
if dad weighs 200lbs. and the 2 kids weigh 100lb. each, then your tow capacity goes down to 4800lbs.
and if there's 200lbs. of cargo in the vehicle, it goes down to 4600lbs.
and the weight of the WDH will reduce that number also.

so, it's real easy to get close to the max.

bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
I would say no, not if you want to comfortably tow and any chance of your vehicle lasting. You have a front wheel (or all wheel, still a FWD platform) drive unibody CAR, not matter which way you cut or call it.
Does it have the power to physically move it down the road? Absolutely
Can it be set up to do the task somewhat well? Kinda
Will it hold up well as a tow vehicle? Not a chance
That vehicle was designed to haul people and small cargo around. Adding a hitch and a pulled out of someone's rear tow rating was pure afterthought.
What a lot of people fail to take into consideration is towing a trailer is about so much more than the weight. Pulling a utility trailer is entirely different that a travel trailer. Pulling down a local road at 55mph with no traffic is a lot different than getting passed on the interstate by a semi doing 83mph.
Also, everyone pointing out pound for pound tow ratings given by the manufacturer fails to remember that there is NO standard by which tow ratings are set. They are a formulation of what the manufacturer is willing to take liability for under PERFECT conditions and how they believe the drivetrain will hold up under the warranty period.

Also, there are lots of tow vehicle questions on this site and most fall under the "if you have to ask" category.
2010 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
86ish palomino slide in
2000 F250 superduty 4x4 7.3/6speed crew/ short
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
It is my understanding that the new Chevy Traverse is rated to tow 2,000 lbs with out the factory installed tow package.

If you are planning on towing a camper with a Traverse you must order the vehicle with the factory tow package, it can not be added afterwards.

If you do get the tow package the max you can tow is 5,200 lbs.

If you tow with out the factory tow package and tow more then 2,000 lbs, you will void the warrenty.

Remember one thing, by the time you add the weight of your passengers and any cargo in the Traverse you will reduce your towing capacity.

In my mine if it where me i would tow with a Tahoe/ Yukon with a factory tow package at the least for your choice in campers. Rear wheel drive yes, Front wheel drive no.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Thanks for your answer. I should have added that it has the tow package. You may be somewhat off on the 4000 lbs with propane and battery -- the factory lists this trailer dry wt as 3350 lbs - that would make it probably no more than 3500 lbs with battery and propane (5 gal. bottles). Load about 800 lbs in it brings it to about 4300 lbs. which is well below the listed Traverse limit. But what Chevy tells me (that it will tow it) and what is true in real life may be different -- I wonder if there is anyone out there that has actually towed with the Traverse, and what their experiences were.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
You may be somewhat off on the 4000 lbs with propane and battery -- the factory lists this trailer dry wt as 3350 lbs - that would make it probably no more than 3500 lbs with battery and propane (5 gal. bottles).
Forest River's website/brochure lists the "dry" weight as 3394lbs.

what you seem to not know is that manufacturers don't include the weights of "options", in the dry weight. these include oven, spare tire/cover, awning, oven, microwave, a/c and so on. that's why "dry" weights are pretty useless.

my Roo weighed 400lbs. over its dry weight, with basic "options", from the factory.

so if your 2109s has any of these items, the dry weight doesn't include the weight of these.
a battery can weigh 40lbs.

so, i was using 4000lbs. as a round number. it may be a little under that. 3400lbs. plus about 400lbs. for the options, make it 3800lbs.
now the battery's weight and the weight of two tanks of propane will add about 80lbs.
so, now we're near 3900lbs. that's why i said about 4000lbs.
that' not counting a full tank of fresh water. 36 gallons at 8.34 is about another 300lbs.
so, before you load the cargo, the trailer will be around 4200lbs.

it might have a little less than 400lbs. weight for the options, depending on what came with it.
but i've seen the 400lbs. extra as a pretty standard amount for trailers our size.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Key word in above post....Unibody. Even if you have the tow package. You can't get away from the Unibody construction............its going to pull its self apart.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #8

I cannot comment on towing with a Traverse but before my parents upgraded to a Silverdao 1500 and the 19ft Puma TT they currently have they towed their Rockwood popup (that probably weighed about 3,000 loaded) with my mom's Equinox (somewhat smaller than the Traverse but the same construction). They only did this for one season and would not travel any further than about an hour or two from home. My father did not enjoy the towing experience at all. The Equinox had no power (3.1L V6) to run anything above 55 MPH and my father was concerned for how long the vehicle would last.

As mentioned before, a unibody frame is not meant for towing, you really should have a vehicle with a full frame. Every vehicle I have ever used as a tow vechicle to tow anything from the popups we started out with up to our current travel trailer has had a full frame under it.
2011 Rockwood 2901SS Ultra Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado Z71---Hensley Arrow Hitch
my other toy---1969 Camaro 396 SS
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Allen: The base weight of your 2109s is 3394 and the tonge weight is 377 lbs. Of course it will add more pounds when the propane tanks are filled and the batterie plus all the rest. We have a very similar trailer than yours a 1809s that I pull with our Uplander 2009. But we know that these vehicles like yours and mine will have a hard time in the hilly country. On our part we only pull on level roads and close to our home. Like this it pulls like a breeze and no problem at all. I never fills up the water tank before we arrive to the campground. If you are planning to go in hilly mountains then forget it and buy a bigger truck. Just check in Europe how small are the vehicles and what they pull behind. Your hairs will lift up from your heads. I am including a picture of our rig. We have a reezw class 3 and 550 spring bars. Our trailer has a tonge weight of 236 lbs plus propane and batterie. I dont see the problem at all pulling with unibody vehicles. We pulled a 23 foot trailer with our Jeep Cherooke and it was a uniboby vehicles as long as you stay in your limits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05958.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	4387  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Nice looking trailer - hope mine looks as good when it arrives. Thanks for your answer - I do live in Arizona, where we have high mountains and many 7% grades in the northeastern parts (I know -- everyone thinks of Arizona as all flat and desert!). I will pull mostly in the deserts at first to try it out, and if the mountains seem too much for it, I will borrow my son's Dodge Cummins diesel to pull it until I can get something else.

Interesting enough, Chevy didn't just "stick a hitch on the back of it, as one person said." Their tow package for the Traverse is much like the one they put on their trucks -- larger HD radiator, larger transmission cooler, tranny pump that increases pressure when towing, larger alternator to handle trailer, and a tow/haul switch that changes the ratios of shifting on the 6 speed transmission.

By the way, what is the tow rating on your Uplander?

lite towing, traverse