Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Post Towing with Dodge Durango 4.7L

My wife and I are probably going to be purchasing a 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 26BH in the next week or so; we are upgrading from a 2006 Rockwood 2270 tent trailer. We are going to be pulling this unit with a 2003 Dodge Durango 4X4 with a 4.7L V8. The trailers dry weight is 4100 lbs and GVWR is 5400 lbs. I am looking for some feedback if anyone has pulled a similar trailer with this model of truck as well as any feedback on the trailer itself (likes and dis likes)

Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #2

We just purchased a Rockwood 8293 RKSS and my hubby plans on pulling it with our 2002 Durango. I am not so sure it can handle it, but he seems to think it has the ba**s to do it. He pulled our boat with an old Olds station wagon, so he seems to think he can pull anything! You'll obviously need an equalizer hitch (or similar) and a brake controller. Does your D have the towing package w/transmission cooler? Our D's towing capacity is only 100 lbs. less than our friends' Ram 1500.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Talking Towing with Dodge Durango

Thanks for the feedback we did buy the trailer. I do have the towing package on the Durango and I have all the radiators installed already when the truck was purchased.I have also purchased the Reese dual cam weight distribution hitch with sway control as the dealer recomended. I am planning to purchase a larger pick up in a year or so; so as long as we pack carefully and keep the holding tanks empty I don't doubt I will be able to pull this no problem at all.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Dakota, I tow a 26rks with my 07 Dakota 4.7 V8 with factory tow package. I have not and don't plan to make any long trips with this TV. This is just a little to much camper for the TV (weight and length). I use weight distribution hitch and sway control but the truck lacks power. Also you might want to check on the aux factory tranny cooler in my 07 it is just extra coils in the radiator so I installed a external one, your 03 may be different. We to are very careful of how much we load and try to keep tanks empty. my Dakota does pull my camper pretty well but hills slow us down and gas mileage is horrible about 8 mpg. Enjoy your new camper. I know we like ours.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

Dakota,
Can't help you with your questions but would like to Welcome you to the forums. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote