Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #51
Site Team

Well, I think that Ford offers the 36 gallon tank on a 6.5 foot bed (supercab or crewcab) with the 5.0 but NOT with the ecoboost. If my information is correct, that makes no sense whatsover.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #52

The Ecoboost's primary mission is to provide V8-like performance, with V6-like fuel economy. And when they measure fuel-economy by the EPA standards, they likely have to start with a full tank of fuel. The smaller the tank, the better the gas mileage due to weight difference.

The fact that it's as good or better a towing machine as the 5.0L is gravy. But they need to be able to market the best gas mileage as possible.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #53

non towing

I getting 16.5 to 18 around town driving, I live in the hills of tennessee, ha. I have not been on the highway not towing, I have had short runs on the highway, and the computer showed near 18.5, i do all my mpg numbers by hand, and have found the computer is very near what i get. tugboat
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #54
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol im trying to convince the parents to sell their 2 super duties and get a eco boost for their camper.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #55

Trip To Iowa with New Eco Boost

Hello freinds, This is my current report on our new Eco Boost! Yesterday at noon, we decided to drive back to Iowa to pick up our new 5er! The dealers in N Cal wanted $5K more! We left at 1:30PM on the 26th and have driven straight through all night. We are in Omaha as I type this, (wifes driving). Here is the accurate data thus far,

Truck-New F150 Lariat 4X4, Super Crew, 5'7" Box, 20" wheels, P tires, Heavy Tow Package, electronic rear diff. The truck was new with only 776 miles on her when we left Cal.

Average MPG after 1638.6 miles is 17.37 MPG
My calculation is .3 off from the trucks computer, but is is extremely close. We are empty east bound and will be towing the Flagstaff 8528RKWS back Sunday and Monday. The milage started at 15.28 over the Sierras into Reno, We refueled in Reno, NV and drove to Elko and got 16.7. Elco, NV to Rock Springs, WY we got 17.43. Rock Springs, WY to Big Springs, NE was a whopping 19.34. Than Big Springs, NE to Greenwood, NE dropped to 18.08. I think it was due to the Ethanol Fuel since I had hoped for the best economy on the flat lands.

The truck is amazing, comfortable, QUIET (Im not shouting), and the nicest vehicle we have owned. The Navigation and Travel Link were great! We checked the cheapest fuel prices along the route and got down to $3.599. Gotta luv the midwest! No it wasn't the crappy ethenol! We have burned 86 gallons so far. I guess it will be at least twice that to get home.

Sorry about such a long post.

PS We drove the posted speed limits and probably averaged 60 to 65. Last night through Nevada,Utah and Wyoming I drove 5 over the posted 75MPH.(80 MPH)

I will report the tow back.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHugens View Post
Hello freinds, This is my current report on our new Eco Boost! Yesterday at noon, we decided to drive back to Iowa to pick up our new 5er! The dealers in N Cal wanted $5K more! We left at 1:30PM on the 26th and have driven straight through all night. We are in Omaha as I type this, (wifes driving). Here is the accurate data thus far,

Truck-New F150 Lariat 4X4, Super Crew, 5'7" Box, 20" wheels, P tires, Heavy Tow Package, electronic rear diff. The truck was new with only 776 miles on her when we left Cal.

Average MPG after 1638.6 miles is 17.37 MPG
My calculation is .3 off from the trucks computer, but is is extremely close. We are empty east bound and will be towing the Flagstaff 8528RKWS back Sunday and Monday. The milage started at 15.28 over the Sierras into Reno, We refueled in Reno, NV and drove to Elko and got 16.7. Elco, NV to Rock Springs, WY we got 17.43. Rock Springs, WY to Big Springs, NE was a whopping 19.34. Than Big Springs, NE to Greenwood, NE dropped to 18.08. I think it was due to the Ethanol Fuel since I had hoped for the best economy on the flat lands.

The truck is amazing, comfortable, QUIET (Im not shouting), and the nicest vehicle we have owned. The Navigation and Travel Link were great! We checked the cheapest fuel prices along the route and got down to $3.599. Gotta luv the midwest! No it wasn't the crappy ethenol! We have burned 86 gallons so far. I guess it will be at least twice that to get home.

Sorry about such a long post.

PS We drove the posted speed limits and probably averaged 60 to 65. Last night through Nevada,Utah and Wyoming I drove 5 over the posted 75MPH.(80 MPH)

I will report the tow back.
thanks for the updates..keep them coming ....
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #57

Hugens, very much looking forward to your report on towing the fifth.
That will be the ultimate test drive, from flat lands to mountain passes.
Your sharing is appreciated a lot!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Hugens, very much looking forward to your report on towing the fifth.
That will be the ultimate test drive, from flat lands to mountain passes.
Your sharing is appreciated a lot!
Agreed! Looking forward to details on the return trip!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

TheHugens, great report and looking forward to the next chapter.

What model 5th wheel are you getting ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #60

OK Friends,
If you just want the fuel info, scroll down, If you want my journal and experience so far, read on!
Here is the latest! We arrived in Walcott, IA 29 hours after we left California! 1923.8 miles 109.2 Gallons burned= 17.6 MPG. I'm pleased with that. The trip was great since my wife can drive ALL DAY. We had dinner and a couple tall beers. Wow, beer works better when your exhausted! I couldn't sleep good at all since I was like a 9 year old boy before christmas! Cheyenne camping center had us set up for 8AM. We picked out the perfect unit Flagstaff 8528RKWS. They lent me a truck while they installed the 5th Wheel and Firestone Air Springs and we went to town to get a cashiers check. I had a Sidwinder with Airbag installed on the 5er to compensate for the short bed. They put a standard 5er hitch no slide since I have the Sidewinder. Their customer service was awesome and I recommend everyone check em out if your in the market. We got everything done by 2PM and headed to Ankeny Iowa to see my siblings. I was anxious about towing this big 5er with the F150. No reason to have been nervous! She towed like a dream! The F150 knew it was hooked to a trailer and the on board computer started asking me all the questions, type of trailer, 5er, Landing gear raised?, Ok Hith Locked, Ok, etc.......SO COOL! It was a little rainey and windy. No sway or issues with the side winder, no sway at all. We spent the night in DesMoines in front of my sisters and left at 6:30AM in a driving rain storm! Thunder Lightning and strong winds! The Travel Link Weather Map was Red, Orange, and covered in lightning and a couple of high wind icons and funky looking cotton balls that we have no idea what they meant. Still no problem and no sway! It's about 12:15PM and we are neary Kearny, NE. And now for the fuel economy!

Walcott, IA to Ankeny 8.12 MPG. Lots of IA rolling hills and I towed at 70 to 75 to see how she did. All was well. Standard 87 Octane Fuel.

Ankeny, IA to York, NE 10.55 MPG! I did have a nice tail wind through western IA after we got through Des Moines. Tow speed was 60 and the average MPG is increasing. Where we are right now shows the average MPG at 9.7 since we left Walcott. We are stuck with Crappie Ethenol fuel in Nebraska, but I paid the extra dime in Iowa for the real stuff!

We are amazed with the truck and 5er. I would highly recommend it to anyone! With 0% APR on 60 months and the dealers still dealin made our decision to buy and enjoy.

Thanks for listening. I will post more as time allows.