Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Towing with Ecoboost

A lot of people on these forums were talking about buying a new F150 with the Ecoboost V6 to tow their campers, but I haven't seen one person report on how they tow. Maybe that little V6 isn't all that Ford has been bragging about?
A good friend wants to try one, but even the sales manager doesn't want to sell one to him, afraid that my friend will take it back and tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #2

Go over to RV.net. a member by the name of skipnchar just bought one and towed his trailer for the first time, he really liked it. I think he traded in his PSD 2500 on it?

Here is the link!

http://www.rv.net/Forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24984020.cfm

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #3

eco boost towing

I am new to this... but have tried to get as much info as i can before buying something for camping, Having bought a new 2010 F150,supercab,4x2, 5.4 engine, 3.55 limited slip axle .. 2 things i should have tried to have the dealer find for me on a "search" of inventory ,#1 a 3.73 axle, #2 the "Heavy duty tow package.. with those it would have put my truck at 11,300 lbs for towing..but it all still comes down to how much are YOU going to be towing now and maybe the near future if switching up trailers ..
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Go over to RV.net. a member by the name of skipnchar just bought one and towed his trailer for the first time, he really liked it. I think he traded in his PSD 2500 on it?

Here is the link!

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Couldn't wait any longer - Ecoboost Towing
Yes, he says that he loves the truck.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

I have seen several reviews of EcoBoost owners that have towed with their trucks. In short, they LOVE them!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
A lot of people on these forums were talking about buying a new F150 with the Ecoboost V6 to tow their campers, but I haven't seen one person report on how they tow. Maybe that little V6 isn't all that Ford has been bragging about?
A good friend wants to try one, but even the sales manager doesn't want to sell one to him, afraid that my friend will take it back and tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine!
A sales manager not wanting to sale a truck ?? and a loud mouthed "friend" in the same post.....

Skip has been posting about the "Eco" for awhile now. Follow his posts for informative updates on the "Eco". This also might be my next truck. Seems like it might be a perfect fit for my needs at this time.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

steeljag,
You're probably right, that Ecoboost would likely blow the doors of that Jap "truck".
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I read the Rv.net article.....interesting. But I don't see the big advantages.....yet, and I see 1 big disadvantage. It seems like comparable performance with my 5.4L setup, and the non-trailer mileage is right on. But the towing mileage of 7.6 mpg on Kansas highways are shocking. I get upset if I get below 10.5 mpg in the rolling hills of the VA. Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

With that being said, I realize that the Ecoboost review is pulling a trailer that weighs a ton more than mine.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I read the Rv.net article.....interesting. But I don't see the big advantages.....yet, and I see 1 big disadvantage. It seems like comparable performance with my 5.4L setup, and the non-trailer mileage is right on. But the towing mileage of 7.6 mpg on Kansas highways are shocking. I get upset if I get below 10.5 mpg in the rolling hills of the VA. Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

With that being said, I realize that the Ecoboost review is pulling a trailer that weighs a ton more than mine.
And most likely pulling more agressively (ie...higher speeds, maintaining higher speed on hills).

I got similiar MPG to you while towing my 5000 lb travel trailer here in MO with my '05 F150. But, if I set to the cruise on 65 and let it run on the interstate, it will drop to 9 ish (or even worse), and that is without any headwind. So, pulling 60% more trailer weight, and maintaining that speed effortlessly, I would say it is doing very well.

Bottom line though, if you are a towing heavy regularly, you aren't going to save money on gas buying the EcoBoost. Driving empty, you will, but not towing.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

towing with eco boost

i have a eco boost, 4x4, crewcab short bed, 3.73 rear, tow max, i have just got back from a trip, towing a 30' tt rv, total wt. 6500 lbs. I had no problem towing with this motor, power was great, but, i did get, 8.3 mpg ave on this trip, i was easy on and off the gas, and stay around 65 mph. i was hoping for 10 to 12 mpg, i now have 4500 miles on it, so maybe next trip will be better. tug