Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #101

Mine is not a Ford but I have a Ram1500 hemi and I have a 27ft TT I believe is 7200lb my tow capacity is 10000 and love my set up if you feel comfortable in handling it i see open roads ahead of you enjoy.
Kstan529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #102

Here's what I tow with my 2017 F150.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MyWeights.pdf (50.8 KB, 79 views)
Anderson Ultimate Fifth-Wheel hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #103

Towing with Ford F-150

Everyone has given you their thoughts to your question which you asked for opinions on. After reading your post and the comments I have this to say to you - the Ford Dealer and the RV Dealer will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Ford doesn’t lease a 2500 series truck which just about everyone that has replied to your post either has recommended or already has to tow with including me. The Ford Dealer wants your business therefore they tell you what you want to hear to lease from them. The RV Dealer will do the same, I have seen and heard it over and over. Once your out the door of any kind of dealer for about anything you buy do they really ever care about you anymore? The answer is NO and you should know that! Do yourself a favor and get a 2500 series even if used to make your towing experience more enjoyable. Personally, I tow my 38 foot fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton diesel.
normy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #104

Wow, thanks guys. Good to hear real life experiances with similar set ups. I agree if I was goingto be trailering full time a 250 would be the way to go. I am going to be using the truck 95% of the time with just me in it. The 250s ride too stiff for everyday driving. I know I had a 2005 GMC 2500 and a 2000 F350. I lost half my fillings driving thisle trucks empty...lol Every truck is a compromise. You must buy with your most use in mind. My 150 is a comfortable daily driver and can flex its muscle on the few trips I will need it.
Pop Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #105

Boy do I love these threads! Over 100 comments and out of those, only about 25% actually addresses the OP’s question of providing your personal experience using a F150 to tow a TT. I don’t know why but I really get a kick out of reading these threads and seeing people interjecting their personal opinion, no matter what the subject is. Some even if they have no clue what they are talking about.
Heck, one of the highlights of the thread is that it only took 11 comments before the China Bomb tire subject came up. I have to admit that I was stoked when it did, now my wheels are turning and I am sure that I can make a campfire drinking game out of the China Bomb tire subject. Thinking it could be something like, everyone places bets on when the subject will come up and then the person who comes the closest to guessing when the first post will be, wins. Then the others that lost have to take 1 drink. Then you place bets on when the next comment will be and like before, whoever gets the closest wins, but this time the losers have to count the number of posts they were away from getting is right and they have to drink their placement number. So if you came in 2nd you drink 2 and if you were 3rd, you would drink 3 and so on and so forth.
Then you could also add in house rules for the thread, like the first person who guesses when the first person will be insulted by someone wins. Then run off that to when the one who was insulted posts a reply because they got bent out of shape for someone else calling out their BS comment. The game possibilities are endless.
Anyway, to the OP; thank you for your post. I was thoroughly entertained, even though that was not the intent of your post. Oh and BTW, congrats on your new tow rig.
Well my time is done here and unfortunately, I like the majority of others who have posted on your thread, I don’t have any experiences to share regarding your proposed tow setup. I just didn’t want to be left out and thought that I would take the opportunity to get in on the action and babble some of my useless thoughts.

Oh wait! I do have a real comment. After reading your posts and taking in what you have said, I have come to the conclusion that you are a fairly smart person and from what you posted about your experiences towing, I feel you will make the right decisions and do just fine. That’s it! Be safe out there and may you have a great camping season!

LASTLY, LET THE CAMPFIRE GAMES BEGIN AGAIN!
CHINA BOMB!!!!
Who guessed post #104?
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #106

If memory serves me correctly, Ford had issues with the Eco-Boost engines with the supercharger "freezing" up causing unexpected drop in power. The most common times would be when the super charger loaded up under high rev going up a hill.
Me? Checking with Ford to see if this is still an issue, considering all other factors level, might be an option.
love5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
Boy do I love these threads! Over 100 comments and out of those, only about 25% actually addresses the OP’s question of providing your personal experience using a F150 to tow a TT. I don’t know why but I really get a kick out of reading these threads and seeing people interjecting their personal opinion, no matter what the subject is. Some even if they have no clue what they are talking about.

Oh wait! I do have a real comment. After reading your posts and taking in what you have said, I have come to the conclusion that you are a fairly smart person and from what you posted about your experiences towing, I feel you will make the right decisions and do just fine. That’s it! Be safe out there and may you have a great camping season!
x1000.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Pop View Post
Hi all, I am looking to haul my 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272 RL. I have a 2011 Suburban but capacity is 8000 pounds so I am maxed out. I am looking at leasing a 2019 Ford F150 with the 10 speed trans, 3.5 eco boost, 3.55 rear, and max trailering package. This combo is rated at 13,200 lb. towing. Does anyone have feed back on this truck for towing. Would appreciate good and bad. Thanks all.
I have the 2018 Lariate model with the same set up. We tow a Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL. All I can say is I love how it handles. I've had no problems whatsoever towing our trailer. I actually did a lot of research before purchasing it. We thought about the F250, I know some people will disagree but it seemed to be more truck than I needed.

My sweet spot for gas mileage while towing is 62 miles an hour. More than that and my mpg drops below 9 mpg. At 62 I get between 9 & 10.1 consistently. So I'm happy.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #109
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

Quote:
Hi all, I am looking to haul my 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272 RL. I have a 2011 Suburban but capacity is 8000 pounds so I am maxed out. I am looking at leasing a 2019 Ford F150 with the 10 speed trans, 3.5 eco boost, 3.55 rear, and max trailering package. This combo is rated at 13,200 lb. towing. Does anyone have feed back on this truck for towing. Would appreciate good and bad. Thanks all.

I recently purchased a 2019 272rl. I initially had a 2015 1500 5.3L gas double cab Silverado. It had a 3:43 rear end. Although the salesman at the dealer where I bought the truck said that this would pull this 34 foot camper just fine I used it twice in the month of October last year and found that although the mileage was halfway decent even with a blue ox equalizer hitch and the pure weight of the camper itself proved otherwise. I had one more camping trip to make at the end of October. It was then then I went out and bought a 2018 2500 HD double cab Silverado with a 6L gas motor and a 4:10 rear end. This was awesome. Although the half ton did okay I can't imagine even in the tow haul mode that it did any good on the transmission or the truck itself. I swear by this 3/4 ton. Doesn't have to be a Chevy but I am kind of partial. Hope this helps. Sounds like I'm not alone in my thoughts. Happy camping.
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by love5thwheel View Post
If memory serves me correctly, Ford had issues with the Eco-Boost engines with the supercharger "freezing" up causing unexpected drop in power. The most common times would be when the super charger loaded up under high rev going up a hill.
Me? Checking with Ford to see if this is still an issue, considering all other factors level, might be an option.
It is one issue I can tell you 100% it is not an issue, since the ecoboost doesnt have a supercharger.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
Heck, one of the highlights of the thread is that it only took 11 comments before the China Bomb tire subject came up. I have to admit that I was stoked when it did, now my wheels are turning and I am sure that I can make a campfire drinking game out of the China Bomb tire subject. Thinking it could be something like, everyone places bets on when the subject will come up and then the person who comes the closest to guessing when the first post will be, wins. Then the others that lost have to take 1 drink. Then you place bets on when the next comment will be and like before, whoever gets the closest wins, but this time the losers have to count the number of posts they were away from getting is right and they have to drink their placement number. So if you came in 2nd you drink 2 and if you were 3rd, you would drink 3 and so on and so forth.
Then you could also add in house rules for the thread, like the first person who guesses when the first person will be insulted by someone wins. Then run off that to when the one who was insulted posts a reply because they got bent out of shape for someone else calling out their BS comment. The game possibilities are endless.
Anyway, to the OP; thank you for your post. I was thoroughly entertained, even though that was not the intent of your post. Oh and BTW, congrats on your new tow rig.
Well my time is done here and unfortunately, I like the majority of others who have posted on your thread, I don’t have any experiences to share regarding your proposed tow setup. I just didn’t want to be left out and thought that I would take the opportunity to get in on the action and babble some of my useless thoughts.

LASTLY, LET THE CAMPFIRE GAMES BEGIN AGAIN!
CHINA BOMB!!!!
Who guessed post #104?
From this comment I can see why some people don't respond to anyones question. Just too many no it all smartasses out there with the mouth a going & the experience a lackin. My Opinion... Free of charge.
Japalilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #112

Towed 30' Travel trailers with 2011 F150 and 2016 F150 with ecoboost. More power and torque than 2009 F250 with V10 I had. Very happy with it and a nice ride when not hooked up. Only downside is the tow vehicle is noticeably lighter and rear end will need Timbrens or air shocks as rear springs are a little light. Two bolts and 5 minutes will put Timbrens in. Switch back when done leasing the vehicle. No problem.
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japalilo View Post
From this comment I can see why some people don't respond to anyones question. Just too many no it all smartasses out there with the mouth a going & the experience a lackin. My Opinion... Free of charge.
[emoji6]
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #114

Just would like to say. There is nothing like being safe on the road. We almost made the mistake of buying above our weight class. I'm so glad we didn't. I would like to have a little bigger trailer but I love the time we share in this one and really we are together that is all that counts.
Bliles61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #115
Camper

I don't know why I am always worried when I tow my 10k trailer with my F350 dually. No way would I tow it with a F150.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback thus far. Ford does not lease 250 series trucks so if I do this it will have to stay in the 150 series truck. I only tow it a few times a year and have been towing trailers of all kinds for 40 plus years up to and including 80,000 pound tractor trailer combos. Payload is 7030 lbs for the max trailering combo 1500 and I will be at 6500 max. Trailer weighs 7400 and tow capacity is 12,700 . Both the Ford dealer and the RV dealer says I will be fine with plenty to spare. Can't understand why everyone is so against this truck for this trailer.
My dad always said you cant make chicken soup from chicken sh#t - not to down play your truck, but truck and RV dealers have always upsold their wares - the book says it should do it isnt a valid answer. There is no replacement for displacement when engine size is a concern. Having been a truck driver, you should know better than all of us - how can a truck with a smaller engine than my wifes Equinox be expected to tow and also last when its going to be maxxed out when towing? I would hate to be in the wind with a combination like what you are proposing - whether its one trip or twenty, you are gonna put grooves in the steering wheel from gripping it. Just my humble opinion - my dealer told me a Colorado is a great small tow rig. Probably why I now pull with a 6.2 Chevy
crinteastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #117

I previously used a 2016 f150 v6 eco boost to pull a 32 ft trailer weighing 7500 pounds. Rated to tow 11,900 lbs. want this means is that you can only tow on flat land. Truck overheated driving uphill and shimmied going downhill. Upgraded to a f250 diesel, no problems.
Retired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinteastwood View Post
My dad always said you cant make chicken soup from chicken sh#t - not to down play your truck, but truck and RV dealers have always upsold their wares - the book says it should do it isnt a valid answer. There is no replacement for displacement when engine size is a concern. Having been a truck driver, you should know better than all of us - how can a truck with a smaller engine than my wifes Equinox be expected to tow and also last when its going to be maxxed out when towing? I would hate to be in the wind with a combination like what you are proposing - whether its one trip or twenty, you are gonna put grooves in the steering wheel from gripping it. Just my humble opinion - my dealer told me a Colorado is a great small tow rig. Probably why I now pull with a 6.2 Chevy
You may want to research & develop some experience with the Ecoboost before you make a judgement. Just saying. I'm tickled to death with mine. I don't run down the road at 90 MPH... Why, cuz I'm out their enjoying the USA not participating in a NASCAR race. Down the road we'll both be stuck in an accident traffic jamb anyway.
Japalilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #119

Quote:
You may want to research & develop some experience with the Ecoboost before you make a judgement. Just saying. I'm tickled to death with mine. I don't run down the road at 90 MPH... Why, cuz I'm out their enjoying the USA not participating in a NASCAR race. Down the road we'll both be stuck in an accident traffic jamb anyway.
Of course he fails to mention that his 6.2L Chevy has less torque than the 3.5 Eco and it's peak torque is developed at double the RPM. The 6.2L also requires premium gasoline. No thanks.

Love not having a normally aspirated engine doing my traveling in high elevations.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #120

Quote:
X2. Got back from our first long trip 2,000+ miles with our 2013 F150 3.5 EcoBoost towing a loaded 2604ws (about 7500 lbs). Tow-mode sway control and transmission worked like a charm--very little sucking action from passing tractor trailers or from the gusty winds we experienced on last day of trip. Of course, I am a conservative driver--never over 60 mph and slow down in gusty, rainy weather.

The turbocharged F150 also allowed us to maintain speed when climbing hills--averaged 9.5 mpg running north to south in hilly West Virginia.

Also handled quick changes in lane when challenged by traffic merging from right or left.

I love this truck!
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, ford, towing