Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
. You don't have to run the speed limit in the mountains or hills, the semi's sure don't.
the semi`s are pulling up the hill 60k plus , and who wants to run 45mph up hill in a 70 limit, I don't tow faster then 65 but I can take any hill with the trailer and still do at least 65. you are comfortable, but the Op might not be..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
They say I can't tow a Flagstaff 8528RKWS with my 1/2 T & 3.23 gears, but I have and do with no problems. Have air bags and LR E tires. Don't win drag races, but I can tow at 60-65 with no problem. In the Smokeys, Appalachians and Ozark mountains, I just get over in the truck lane and go with the flow. You don't have to run the speed limit in the mountains or hills, the semi's sure don't.

Will it load your truck, you betcha, will it tear your truck up, very doubtful. I've towed over 60,000 miles with mine and never had a problem.
The thing is, you're not necessarily talking apples to apples in comparing your setup to the OPs. In your case, your dry pin weight is ~1,000 pounds per the specs and I assume is less than your available payload. The OP's dry pin weight is ~1,300 pounds and is already over the truck's available payload.

As well, the OP mentioned carrying 3 dogs (bulldogs which Google says average 50 pounds each) and a big dog snack (morkie which seem to be 5-10 pounds).

To each his own- I won't say not to do it; I will say I can't imagine me getting into a setup where the dry pin weight exceeds the lawyer sticker's available payload.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
the semi`s are pulling up the hill 60k plus , and who wants to run 45mph up hill in a 70 limit, I don't tow faster then 65 but I can take any hill with the trailer and still do at least 65. you are comfortable, but the Op might not be..
Being retired, I am also not in a race or a hurry. I could also downshift and stay at 60, or spend $40,000 for a new bigger truck, but choose not to. To each his own.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #24

have to say I dont agree with the statement he wont like the 3.55's. I tow 6k in 3rd gear at 2300 rpm with my hemi thats in high wind. i get it into 4th at 1900 rpm on a good day. this is with the 545rfe tranny. his 8 speed will put him in an optimal gear all the time. I think there is to much emphasis on dif gear ratios and not what the tranny is doing.

that truck will pull a tt with no problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I hate being a downer for you but I am with Dave on this!

you figure at least the 250 pounds for the hitch itself in the bed of the truck. Then another 200 pounds per passenger. Assume you have 3 other passengers at another 600 pounds. Right there you would be 850 pounds of your 1100 pound pay load... just not a wise way to go...

Another thing, you wont like the 3.55 gearing for towing anything! I would also assume the 8 speed trans would be awfully busy shifting up and down while towing, also not smart, as shifting creates heat...

So like I said, hate to be a downer, but a heavier duty truck is almost a must for you...
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
(Since everyone is steering your towards a TT)

A TT is really quite nice to pull, especially with all the awesome WD and Sway Control devices out there. The expensive 5er hitch and air bags you won't need to buy will allow you to buy a really nice hitch setup for your TT.
That's great to hear about the WDH and SCD! We are going to hit a couple other RV dealerships today and see what else is out there in regards to TT's.

Would it be worth while to look at changing my gears in the current truck from the 3.55's to the 3.92's? I know it wouldn't be cheap to do, but it would give me a little over 10,000 lbs towing vs the 8,600 on the current set up.

The 8 speed tranny is a thing of beauty and I really hate to have to give that feature of the 1500 up. Like I mentioned before, it seems like it is always in the power band and it accelerates on a dime. Granted it's not pulling anything right now.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
have to say I dont agree with the statement he wont like the 3.55's. I tow 6k in 3rd gear at 2300 rpm with my hemi thats in high wind. i get it into 4th at 1900 rpm on a good day. this is with the 545rfe tranny. his 8 speed will put him in an optimal gear all the time. I think there is to much emphasis on dif gear ratios and not what the tranny is doing...
Agree, don't know why folks evidently don't realize that's why they have several different gears in the transmission just for that purpose plus they are automatic.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
Site Team

I'm pulling a TT, not a 5th, with my 1500 and I can tell you there's a world of difference being within or over payload. The TT pulls like a dream when I'm alone, but add the 435 extra lbs of DW, DD, DS, Dog1, Dog2 (plus stuff) and it's a whole different driving experience.

I'd recommend looking at the rambodybuilder (http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf) to see if there's anything you can do to your rig to increase payload. Then use ependydad's calculator's (Learn To RV: What Can I Tow?) to get a realistic idea of what you're capable of towing. Then go look at floor plans armed with that.

Do you have to be exact? Nope, as I said, I'm over when loaded with family and under without, but I'm at least relatively within a comfortable range.

Edit: Ok, I just looked up the floorplan you liked. It looks like you can get an almost identical floorplan in Rockwood's TT line:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Travel...VType=trailers

But you'll still be around total weight which might be heavy. Stepping down to Rockwood's ultralight you can get a very similar, but smaller floorplan:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Travel...VType=trailers
Old 04-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Now having said that there are some 8289 owners on this forum that are towing with Ford Ecoboost 1/2 tons...but they will tell you that their trucks were special order Heavy Duty Tow package 1/2's that have increased tow capacity, improved suspension, increased payload and likely a 4.10 rear end ratio...so like I say, do your research...
Be careful not to confuse Max Tow with Heavy Duty Payload. HD payload is almost a requirement for any kind of 5'er with the "1/2 ton" Ford. Payload is almost always the limitation.

With a payload of 1,100, you should be looking at a tongue weight of around 700 pounds (wet not dry). Then you'll have a little wiggle room for wife, dogs, WD hitch, some goodies in the bed of the truck.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

5er's tow so much easier than tt it is like night and day. Would never go back to a tt although there are many that are just beautiful and suit other people's needs just fine. JMO.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #30

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
That's great to hear about the WDH and SCD! We are going to hit a couple other RV dealerships today and see what else is out there in regards to TT's.

Would it be worth while to look at changing my gears in the current truck from the 3.55's to the 3.92's? I know it wouldn't be cheap to do, but it would give me a little over 10,000 lbs towing vs the 8,600 on the current set up.

The 8 speed tranny is a thing of beauty and I really hate to have to give that feature of the 1500 up. Like I mentioned before, it seems like it is always in the power band and it accelerates on a dime. Granted it's not pulling anything right now.
If you change your gears you will have to change both the front and rear differential.

2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, towing