Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #41
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
This is a link to settle the question of parts content. Domestic-Parts Content: Where the Automakers Stand - KickingTires

FORD BABY! Go BIG or go home!
Whens the last time you have seen a Toyota pulling a Fifth wheel? In the FAST lane? lmao
I've seen plenty of Toyota's pulling 5th wheels at the rated speed limit. (I am not implying you do not pull at the speed limit) I've never understood the "faster" argument for any brand. Sure, more horsepower/torque, but faster does not equal better. There are speed limits that we all have to follow.

Further, the Tundra is a 1/2 Ton truck. Sure people are towing more, and that is their choice, but for me I will be working within the listed manufacture limits, which all but rules out MOST 5th Wheels.

If you read my post, I said my next truck will be a 3/4 Chevy or Ford, unless Toyota decides to enter that market.

Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Sorry the video hurt your feelings. The purpose of the test is to show the underlying strength of the frame. If you are towing or hauling "heavy", that can be a factor.

The last Ford re-design was 2009 and it was a minor tweak to the major re-design in 2004.

Video didn't hurt my feelings, doesn't matter to me one bit, matter of fact I admitted my truck does suffer from bed bounce.

How does that test demonstrate the strength of the frame? Last I checked the US has more paved roads than any other country in the world. So, regardless of how much it bounces on their "test road" how does it relate to real world driving and or demonstrate towing or hauling ability? None of the trucks in the video were towing or hauling anything. (For what it is worth my truck, and most trucks, ride/perform better with a load.)

The test was created on a Ford test ground, by Ford engineers/designers. I'm not saying what it is showing is inaccurate, but I have yet to read anywhere that Toyota, Chevy or Dodge were given advance access to the test facility to 'tune' their trucks to perform there, as I am sure Ford did. The test, IMHO, is pure marketing.

Regarding the re-design in 2009 for Ford; fine you got me there. Let me change my post for you . . . Ford had two years to improve over the 2007 Toyota line. I would expect any manufacture to improve in that amount of time.

I am not here to argue with anyone, and we are all entitled to our opinions. As one poster mentioned buy the best truck for the job and at a price you can afford. My truck suits my needs just fine, as would most trucks on the market.

To the original poster, the best thing you can do is go test drive all the models, many will let you go hook up your trailer for a test pull. The only thing you are going to get on an internet forum is opinions, and the only one that matters is your own.

Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #42
I went from a Ford to a GMC to a Toyota. When I bought the Toyota in 2006 it was because of months of research of what suited us best at the time. Negotiated with several sales people.......drank allot of their coffee.........and ended up with the Tundra.

Six years later the Tundra has done everything we expected of it! When it's time to replace will be what is best for us and our needs.

All this anti over seas BS sounds like something Archie Bunker would have said! Check the make, model and parts of the computer your using and TV your watching. Oh.........that's different ! Lol.

Enjoy what you have ......and be glad you have it!

2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
I have had Ford and Chevy trucks and they were o.k. but my American made Tundra is spectacular.
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Pirate Todd and Wench
Archie Bunker is my idol! lol
Buying AMERICAN is in my blood...sorry! I know its hard to do now a days because some things we just "do not" make any longer. If I have "anything" foreign, its because of a lack of choice, even the hitch by equalizer I just purchase is made in the USA. It was more expensive, sure, but I checked the site and they have a video of the factory in America, by Americans and they are proud of it. At least the s*** inside our computers is coming from good old Silicon valley baby! lol And if I had a choice the whole thing would be....yes it does matter to me.
In Kf4mnc's post. Yes, I never do the speed limit, feel free to imply that, if fact I rarely see anyone actually doing the speed limit! I run late at night, and I run with the trucks. It takes a little while for them to "adopt" me, but when they see I'm not slowing them down and give warnings of radar ahead they slowly take me in! lol

I'm just saying that the Toyota is most likely doing the speed limit not by choice, its just doing all it can. ""LMOA""
My advice was meant to imply persons should overkill a little on a TV rather than make due. This of course comes down to affordability and the size of your rig, but "longevity" and safety of the machine and its occupants you decide on is most important. I just see wayyy to many undersized TV's on the road and it dangerous to the occupants and anyone around them. I feel sorry for the people because the damn owners manual says YES it will do it! Then they find themselves in a very real world looking at a very dangerous situations...and it "can't do it".
-Todd and Sherri
-2006 F250 Super Duty King ranch Diesel
-2012 Windjammer 3008w
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
Site Team
Brand discussions and comparisons are always difficult because the rhetoric invariably becomes impassioned. Enjoy your TV!
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #46
On either tundratalk or ford truck enthusiast forums, there is an owner (he is posting on both sites) who recently bought a tundra and then within a couple weeks was given an F150 ecoboost as a company vehicle. He gives a nice break down of pros and cons of both vehicles.

2012 Ecoboost vs 2012 Tundra - have both - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also bear in mind that Toyota went to the new J2807 tow testing standards since the 2011 Tundra model that will probably start going into effect for all manufactures for the 2013 model year, which will probably lower the ratings for all 1/2 ton trucks save the Tundra since it is already using it.

07 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
10 Salem T25S
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #47
One thing for sure, as a daily driver, my new Dodge Ram blows them both out of the water on gas mileage.
For towing, I think I'll stick with the diesel.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 AM   #48
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
For towing, I think I'll stick with the diesel.
I think you need to get out more often. It will probably stick with the old 7.3 but not gonna happen with the newer Diesels.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #49
"It will probably stick with the old 7.3 but not gonna happen with the newer Diesels."
Is English your second language? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #50
I agree with you about sticking with the 7.3 diesel. If you pull hills you don't need something like a 7.3 diesel. We tend to pull the Rockies and the Sierras. I feel we need the 7.3 diesel. You need to get what will do the job the best for you. If you pull mountains...get a truck that will pull the mountains. I don't think 25 mph at the top of a mountain is pulling the mountain as it should be pulled.

Best Regards,

Hob is offline   Reply With Quote