Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #61
Site Team

I just returned from a trip to San Clemente SB and got 11.5 mpg towing (@ 55mph/max speed limit in CA when towing). I ran into slow traffic (15-20mph) for a good half hour or so. Still think I could get better mileage using the cruise control.

Went to Las Vegas for a turnaround trip (502 miles) and with two of us in the truck got an average of a little over 21 mpg (not towing). The truck held up nicely in the strong winds coming home.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I just returned from a trip to San Clemente SB and got 11.5 mpg towing. I ran into slow traffic (15-20mph) for a good half hour or so. Still think I could get better mileage using the cruise control.

Went to Las Vegas for a turnaround trip (502 miles) and with two of us in the truck got an average of a little over 21 mpg (not towing). The truck held up nicely in the strong winds coming home.
That sounds about right. I'll admit, I drive like an a-hole (not while towing though) simply because I enjoy the power of the Tundra
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb View Post
That sounds about right. I'll admit, I drive like an a-hole (not while towing though) simply because I enjoy the power of the Tundra
Most people drive faster than me & many of them have tickets to prove it.

The 4-1/2 hour drive to Las Vegas actually took 5 hours (stopped for a quick lunch). I know several people that have made the drive in the 3 hour range.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I just returned from a trip to San Clemente SB and got 11.5 mpg towing (@ 55mph/max speed limit in CA when towing). I ran into slow traffic (15-20mph) for a good half hour or so. Still think I could get better mileage using the cruise control.
Don't count on the Tundra's cruise control giving you better mpg. I drop about 1 mpg using cruise in my 2008 DC Tundra. I will use it occasionally if I see a long mild down hill grade just to reposition the foot for a bit. I don't think the Tundra is properly mapped for cruise control and towing. I can soft foot it and keep it from downshifting for quite a while.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Don't count on the Tundra's cruise control giving you better mpg. I drop about 1 mpg using cruise in my 2008 DC Tundra. I will use it occasionally if I see a long mild down hill grade just to reposition the foot for a bit. I don't think the Tundra is properly mapped for cruise control and towing. I can soft foot it and keep it from downshifting for quite a while.

JR
Not just the Tundra, I see the same thing on my F150. I try to leave my tranny in OD as much as possible, but cruise control gets it shifting where my foot does not. I might back off some on the small hills, where my cruise control would give the engine gas, requiring a downshift. I sometimes will cut off OD, and use cruise control to get a little break, but I don't like the fuel mileage with that combination.

The Blue Ridge Foothills, and Piedmont sections of VA. are rolling hills.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Not just the Tundra, I see the same thing on my F150. I try to leave my tranny in OD as much as possible, but cruise control gets it shifting where my foot does not. I might back off some on the small hills, where my cruise control would give the engine gas, requiring a downshift. I sometimes will cut off OD, and use cruise control to get a little break, but I don't like the fuel mileage with that combination.

The Blue Ridge Foothills, and Piedmont sections of VA. are rolling hills.
EXACTLY! This is the way I tow in hilly areas too. Makes a world of difference in towing mileage. The cruise control on my Ford would let it drag down a couple of MPH and then "over react" by exceeding my setting by 2 to 3 MPH at the top of the hill; and of course it would downshift. I'm betting that that is common across all brands?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #67

Same with my 2006 Chev. When towing and using cruise, it down shifts 2 gears right away. Manually, I can keep it out of the lower gear, and it seems to do about 1 mpg better. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #68

X2 We love ours!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote