Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

Toyota Tundra 4.6 V8 and towing an Outback 210URS travel trailer impressions

So it has been a while since I've been here but I figured that I'd post on my recent experience towing an Outback 210URS travel trailer with a rear slide. The TT is owned by a relative and they were kind enough to lend me their TT since I sold our beloved Rockwood 2280 popup last spring.

The trailer fully loaded is roughly 4700-5000 lbs and I had some reservations on pulling it through the Rocky Mountains using my 2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 DC pickup truck equipped with the 4.6 v8 and 6 speed tranny. I read plenty of threads where the Tundra should always have a 5.7 liter over the smaller one but I can say that my little v8 in my Tundra pulled this weight just perfectly. I found that if I put the truck in to "S" mode and lock the transmission's max gear to say 4th or 5th that the tranny wouldn't hunt for gears as much. Using the 4.6 wasn't going to win me any speed races and starting from a full stop definitely needed some effort but overall I'd say that I can have full confidence in my truck's ability to pull up to 6000 pounds without breaking a sweat.

Anyone else come to similar conclusions with their smaller V8 Tundra? I was speaking to a fellow at a campsite beside me that had a slightly older Tundra with the 4.7 v8 and he said his trailer was easily 5000+ lbs but he felt that his truck lacked power on the steep grades. While I have no references to how much of a difference of 34 HP makes on a truck engine that I don't think I will be replacing my truck anytime soon to get a 5.7 version.

Is there anyone on this forum that have upgraded from a Toyota 4.6/4.7 to the 5.7 engine and noticed a huge difference in tow capability?

I look back at trucks from 30 years ago where they at most had 175- 200 HP and they towed trailers that weight a LOT more than the ultralites of today with zero issues so it always surprises me to read on forums that people want trucks with 400+ HP to pull their modestly sized trailers.
stevespopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

Gearing is a major factor.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

older Tacoma probably only had 4 gears plus OverDrive and possibly older, non-computer controlled shift points... you mentioned something like a TOW/Haul mode? on yours... makes everything much smoother towing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

I had the 4.7L in a 2002 tundra and pulled a 4500# tt to Yellowstone and back to Louisiana, as well as several other hilly trips. It struggled most in strong headwinds in NM and southern Colorado. Couldn't get over 35mph in NM with headwinds.
But it rode great and got me home. Pulled same tt and 2 different fivers I n similar trips with 2008 5.7L and there was no struggle. It pulled and stopped (important) like a pro.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

5.7 is a different beast
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Cold air intake

I had 2002 tundra added cold air intake and it seemed to help up the mountain passes, a little loud, plus I had dual exhaust helped also
soonerfan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

I have a 2017 Tundra with the 5.7. You'll notice a HUGE difference between the 4.6 and the 5.7. I barely even notice our trailer back there and if I don't pay attention to stay around 65, it's easy to hit 75 or 80. Accelerating from a stop? Same thing. It's quick. I'm not sure what gears you have in the differentials, but all new Tundras come with 4.30s. They really help with towing, too. Gas mileage not so much.
CraigSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Gearing is a major factor.
"What he said!" I've got a 4:30 rear end in my Tundra 5.7 and it tows 9,000 lbs without problems.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

The problem with the Tundras are the payload capacity. All the ones I looked at were around 1100# or less.

I love Toyotas but the trucks need a major upgrade.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

Payload is figuratively low but I am very pleased and have been very impressed with the truck I have a 15 CM 5.7 and 4.30 rear end.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

I understand the rated payload seems low compared to other 1/2 tons on the market. In fact, I think only the Raptor is rated lower. Strangely, I think in reality it has an equal or great capability than any of the big 3 trucks. The brakes are massive. The spring rates are great. I had 1000 lbs of concrete in my truck this past Friday and you could barely tell anything was in the bed. When hook my TT (about 600 lb tongue weight, give or take) the truck MIGHT drop 1/2 an inch. And it tows really well. I'm NOT advocating you exceed the sticker rating, I'm just saying I believe that the factory rating is intentionally low on their part and I have no problems running it at that rating.
Now...all that said....I can certainly agree it can use some updates in the interior, although pretty much everything is available....heat, AC, power windows and door locks, Heated/cooled seats, cruise control, trailer brake controller, sway control, power sliding rear window on the crew max version, power sunroof available on the crew max, rear heat and AC on the crew max, navigation, bluetooth phone and music streaming. What else is needed? Keyless entry? Pushbutton start? Maybe Apple CarPlay?
CraigSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSK View Post
I understand the rated payload seems low compared to other 1/2 tons on the market. In fact, I think only the Raptor is rated lower. Strangely, I think in reality it has an equal or great capability than any of the big 3 trucks. The brakes are massive. The spring rates are great. I had 1000 lbs of concrete in my truck this past Friday and you could barely tell anything was in the bed. When hook my TT (about 600 lb tongue weight, give or take) the truck MIGHT drop 1/2 an inch. And it tows really well. I'm NOT advocating you exceed the sticker rating, I'm just saying I believe that the factory rating is intentionally low on their part and I have no problems running it at that rating.
Now...all that said....I can certainly agree it can use some updates in the interior, although pretty much everything is available....heat, AC, power windows and door locks, Heated/cooled seats, cruise control, trailer brake controller, sway control, power sliding rear window on the crew max version, power sunroof available on the crew max, rear heat and AC on the crew max, navigation, bluetooth phone and music streaming. What else is needed? Keyless entry? Pushbutton start? Maybe Apple CarPlay?
It's payload rating is exactly what they state it should carry...nothing more. If it did, they would rate it as such.

They need to update a lot in that truck. Most important is the engine. 15MPG on the highway not towing anything just doesn't cut it these days.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Member since 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespopup View Post
So it has been a while since I've been here but I figured that I'd post on my recent experience towing an Outback 210URS travel trailer with a rear slide. The TT is owned by a relative and they were kind enough to lend me their TT since I sold our beloved Rockwood 2280 popup last spring.

The trailer fully loaded is roughly 4700-5000 lbs and I had some reservations on pulling it through the Rocky Mountains using my 2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 DC pickup truck equipped with the 4.6 v8 and 6 speed tranny. I read plenty of threads where the Tundra should always have a 5.7 liter over the smaller one but I can say that my little v8 in my Tundra pulled this weight just perfectly. I found that if I put the truck in to "S" mode and lock the transmission's max gear to say 4th or 5th that the tranny wouldn't hunt for gears as much. Using the 4.6 wasn't going to win me any speed races and starting from a full stop definitely needed some effort but overall I'd say that I can have full confidence in my truck's ability to pull up to 6000 pounds without breaking a sweat.

Anyone else come to similar conclusions with their smaller V8 Tundra? I was speaking to a fellow at a campsite beside me that had a slightly older Tundra with the 4.7 v8 and he said his trailer was easily 5000+ lbs but he felt that his truck lacked power on the steep grades. While I have no references to how much of a difference of 34 HP makes on a truck engine that I don't think I will be replacing my truck anytime soon to get a 5.7 version.

Is there anyone on this forum that have upgraded from a Toyota 4.6/4.7 to the 5.7 engine and noticed a huge difference in tow capability?

I look back at trucks from 30 years ago where they at most had 175- 200 HP and they towed trailers that weight a LOT more than the ultralites of today with zero issues so it always surprises me to read on forums that people want trucks with 400+ HP to pull their modestly sized trailers.

I enlarged my exhaust to 3 inch, installed a Magnaflow muffler and air bags on my 2012 Toyota 4.6 liter p/u. I have towed a 30 ft., 7500 lb trailer all over the western states and across the Rockies a number of time with no issues and lots of power. I rarely go below 45 mph over mountain passes.
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #14

Tow 4.6

I have had both. A 2003-4.7 and 2014-5.7. I was pulling 5 K w/ 03' and 7k in the 5.7. The 4.7 is no slouch, but the 5.7 is a horse. The 4.30 rear end ratio helps a lot in the 5.7 version too. Between mine, there was only about 1 MPG difference.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
I have had both. A 2003-4.7 and 2014-5.7. I was pulling 5 K w/ 03' and 7k in the 5.7. The 4.7 is no slouch, but the 5.7 is a horse. The 4.30 rear end ratio helps a lot in the 5.7 version too. Between mine, there was only about 1 MPG difference.
You do realize that the reason the Tundra has a 4.3 ratio in its rear gears is because the transmission itself has very high gears compared to other trucks? You have to look at the overall ratio counting the transmission.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You do realize that the reason the Tundra has a 4.3 ratio in its rear gears is because the transmission itself has very high gears compared to other trucks? You have to look at the overall ratio counting the transmission.

I have a 2015 tundra crewmax pulling about 6300 loaded (25bds). From the stop light u can’t believe the torque. Going on the down hill on the Tampa skyway bridge with my foot off the brake you would tho k your foot was on the brake.
Toyota Tundra 5.7 is a beast.
As a side note I’ve had pickups and vans for work at least 45 years. This rig is definitely close to the top if not on the top. And that includes a gmc savanna 3500 with a diesel.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #17

Tundra towing

The 4.30 gear gives the low end torque to get it moving. I would not touch the exhuast, unless replacing w/ stainless steel like factory. I found the Borla TRD Toyota part half price @ $1400, still too rich for me. I have never wanted for more power, just more cargo cap and brakes. I have pulled 7500 lb. V-front over 12K in last 2 years w/ 5.7 1794 CM, fulled loaded. OK on flat land and small hills. I have Timbron's, Bilstein 5100, TRD anti-sway bar and E tires. Many of the new ones come w/ passenger tires. Never a problem until going from TX to Arkansas and mountains of Georgia last year. Personal choice, going to 1 ton w/ plans of upgrading to 5 er next year. Much more enjoyable.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, towing, toyota, trailer, travel, travel trailer, tundra