Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #21

A new vehicle and a new golf cart....that would surprise your husband!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Upgrade to a new TV with a 8 ft box and you might have all the payload you require. A 1 ton Ford or Ram would do it.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #23

As a very happy Tundra owner, that's just too much weight, for ANY half-ton. I think 3/4 ton is questionable even.

I've seen people do it, I personally wouldn't though.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #24

Truck is paid off and we're in love with our TT so those aren't an option.... this may be a stupid question, but can you trailer a trailer behind the TT??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
schusters07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by schusters07 View Post
Truck is paid off and we're in love with our TT so those aren't an option.... this may be a stupid question, but can you trailer a trailer behind the TT??

Depends on what your state DMV says. Google your state and dbl/triple towing. I'm in Oregon and we can't tow a trailer behind a trailer. Some states require a 5th wheel to tow another trailer. It just depends. There's also length limits as well.

Probably your only alternative at this point.

But, my guess is your probably maxed right now with just the TT as far as what weight the truck can carry. Whats your max tow rating?
The 2nd trailer at 5-700lbs plus the 1300lbs for golf cart could put you at your tow limit as well.

Your problem is the standard problem with 1/2 ton truck owners. 1/2 tons run out of carrying capacity long before they run out of towing capacity.
It's really tough to tow much more than 6000lbs with a 1/2 ton truck and not be maxed out on payload. Especially if you add in a couple kids and their gear.
Lots of people buy a truck without the idea that they will be towing. Then when they start looking at TT's they get caught up in the bigger would be nicer thinking. All the while not knowing what their truck can carry and just knowing the tow rating. After they buy the big TT they then realize they don't have enough truck. It's not a bad thing, it's just the order of events that lots of families go thru. Unless it's their 2nd or 3rd TT that they're buying then a situation like yours is all too common. As they say 'Live And Learn"

JMHO but I don't think the idea is really feasible. Just rent a GC where you go.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #26

Seems the OP isn't really understanding our advice or doesn't really want to understand it since it doesn't fit their plans.

There's no law that I know of that says you can't do what you want to do but common sense should tell you that you can't do what you want to do.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #27

I'm just trying to explore all of my options. I really don't understand a lot of this and trying to do this without asking my husband has been difficult. I want to understand, I've researched a lot on line and it's all mixed answers.

You're absolutely right. We bought the truck and ever had a clue we'd be camping! Our trailer is not on the heavy side at all, but I was hoping it would be more doable. Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #28
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
I'm just trying to explore all of my options. I really don't understand a lot of this and trying to do this without asking my husband has been difficult. I want to understand, I've researched a lot on line and it's all mixed answers.

You're absolutely right. We bought the truck and ever had a clue we'd be camping! Our trailer is not on the heavy side at all, but I was hoping it would be more doable. Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

IMO...
If you're planning on using the golf cart outside of camping also...Get the cart for Hubby and let the two of ya figure out how to get it to the campgrounds!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #29
Always Learning

I can't weigh in either way for or against carrying the gulf cart on the truck. But, is taking 2 vehicles an option when you want the golf cart? You could get a little utility trailer to carry the golf cart on and likely tow that with the lightest of tow vehicles.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #30

It's really cool what you're trying to do for your husband. And I'm sure it's really frustrating as well. But at least you've asked for advice and didn't just go buy the GC not knowing whether you could carry it or not.
The weight issue is really simple.
Trucks come with a GVWR. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's the max weight that the truck can weigh.
They also come with an UVW. Unloaded Vehicle Weight. That's the truck without anyone or thing in it.
The best way to find out what your truck can carry beside using the door sticker is to weigh the truck all loaded without the TT hitched up. That's probably impossible for you to do without your DH knowing why you want to do it.

What you can carry in your truck is based on what the truck weighs empty vs what the trucks GVWR is. I.E say the truck weighs 5800lbs empty and has a GVWR of 7200lbs. That means you can carry 1400lbs of passengers and gear. The trailers tongue weight is also subtracted from the 1400lbs because it's considered payload.

So every ones just giving you hypothetical guesstimations based on what they know about your truck. We don't know the real empty weight or how much you and your DH + kids weigh. But it's not hard to see that even just putting in you and your DH plus a GC in the truck would put you over the trucks GVWR. And you haven't even hitched up the TT yet.

Any suspension enhancements won't allow you to carry more. Adding airbags or stiffer springs will only make the truck sit level. They won't change the trucks GVWR.

It's a really nice thought to get the GC but it's really impossible to do. Consider yourself fortunate in that you came on here 1st and as such your DH doesn't have a GC he can't take with him while camping.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I can't weigh in either way for or against carrying the gulf cart on the truck. But, is taking 2 vehicles an option when you want the golf cart? You could get a little utility trailer to carry the golf cart on and likely tow that with the lightest of tow vehicles.

THIS would be your best solution.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #32

Thanks for breaking it down for me! I think pulling it with our other vehicle would work for our closer trips....I just hopefully that this doesn't give him a valid reason to trade in the Tundra 😉 thanks again, I really appreciate all of the help! He's gonna think I'm a pro When I start spouting off all of this new knowledge I have haha

Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #33
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Thanks for breaking it down for me! I think pulling it with our other vehicle would work for our closer trips....I just hopefully that this doesn't give him a valid reason to trade in the Tundra ?de09 thanks again, I really appreciate all of the help! He's gonna think I'm a pro When I start spouting off all of this new knowledge I have haha

Think you're catching on to our plan (those of us who say buy the GC) because we know your hubby will say we need a bigger truck...and he'll be even happier to have a new GC and go truck shopping! LOL

Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #34

I tow a 41 ft wildwood 402qbq with a Toyota Tundra 4.6l fully loaded with gear and a yahama grizzly 450 in the back and it does fine at 65 mph so anyone saying that the tundra can't pull over 8200 lbs is full of it fully loaded is 14000 lbs on trailer and 8000 lbs on truck
paultrynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #35
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrynor View Post
I tow a 41 ft wildwood 402qbq with a Toyota Tundra 4.6l fully loaded with gear and a yahama grizzly 450 in the back and it does fine at 65 mph so anyone saying that the tundra can't pull over 8200 lbs is full of it fully loaded is 14000 lbs on trailer and 8000 lbs on truck

Gotta love the space shuttle guys!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #36

Quote:
I hope you're kidding. Can it pull it? Sure. Is it safe or responsible? Not at all. You'd be almost 4000 pounds overweight if you had the 5.7. The 4.6 is probably much less, I'm not sure what the tow rating is for that configuration (8200?). You're putting yourself and everyone on the road in danger and if you ever got into an accident pulling that kind of weight with a Tundra you'd probably be charged with negligent property damage/injury/death and open yourself up to civil litigation.

I'm sure the OP already sorted out her issue since the thread is from June. Once again in this forum I am terrified at the flippant attitude regarding overloads. I get that it may be not worth it to start truck shopping if you're within a couple hundred pounds total but 4-6000 pounds overweight? Really?
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #37
Done with this

Quote:
Good grief........

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Please post your next years travel plans on here. Most of us want to be sure we're not on the same roads you travel on!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #39

Quote:

Wow. I have a tundra with the 5.7. Not sure what you're thinking but I would never in my wildest dreams do something like this. And think I'm gonna have to throw out the BS flag at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Bored? Decided to do some trolling to kill time?

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyota, tundra