Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

TPMS Questions

Kind of a survey. Will a TPMS let you know if something is wrong before you get a blowout. Just got a system, but haven't had it long enough to know what you might see on the system.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Asking about “a TPMS” is probably too general since there are multiple manufacturers of these devices and previous threads here appear to indicate they don’t all work the same. Mine will warn of significantly high or low air pressure and high temperature which are sometimes precursors to blow-outs. It won’t give an advance warning if I hit a railroad spike.
I’d do a search here for TPMS and read about specific brands.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Always Learning

Most likely, yes it will. Most of the time, what people call "blowouts" aren't. They're situations where the tire was ran flat and then came apart. Can go from inflated to flat in less than a minute, but it still isn't a "blowout".

Of course, "blowouts" do happen.. they're just rare.

In most cases, the TPMS can alert you that there's a problem coming or that the tire lost air. If you're lucky, you can get pulled over and stopped before damage occurs.

Here's an article on "how to use your TPMS" that may be helpful for you:
https://learntorv.com/how-to-use-your-tpms/
Old 09-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Most likely, yes it will. Most of the time, what people call "blowouts" aren't. They're situations where the tire was ran flat and then came apart. Can go from inflated to flat in less than a minute, but it still isn't a "blowout".

Of course, "blowouts" do happen.. they're just rare.

In most cases, the TPMS can alert you that there's a problem coming or that the tire lost air. If you're lucky, you can get pulled over and stopped before damage occurs.

Here's an article on "how to use your TPMS" that may be helpful for you:
https://learntorv.com/how-to-use-your-tpms/

^^^^^ This.

It's important to know how rapidly a TPMS system updates before making your selection. Some only update the data at rather long intervals. Others provide pretty much live data signals or give priority to any readings that change. In other words, a tire that's maintaining pressure or stable temp may not send a signal all the time but at the slightest change it immediately transmits.

The harsh fact is that those that cost more update more frequently and give priority to changes. Those that sell for bargain prices often don't and the only real warning you'll get will be from your rear view mirror as you see tire chunks flying out from beneath your TT.

My TST 507 will send an alarm the moment I start to unscrew the sensor from the valve stem. No delay at all so I feel confident that it will give me the quickest warning possible should my tire start to lose air. With the warning, and if I can get to the side of the road before the tire runs too far on it's sidewalls, best chance of saving the tire by patching.

FWIW, the term "Blow Out" is really a holdover from the days of tube type tires where they would literally explode when the tire was punctured and got so low the tire overheated------ BOOM.

Tubless tires rarely explode like tube types, they go flat more slowly and what many consider a "blow out" is actually what they hear when chunks of tire start flying off and beating on the bottom of the vehicle. That usually happens when the tire has failed due to being under inflated or over loaded, along with excessive speed.

Can a tubeless tire "Blow Out"? Sure but it's usually more like a "WOOOOF" than a "KA-BOOM" as there is no tube to hold air until the last moment than pop. That slightly slower deflation is a benefit as it gives the driver a second or two of warning so they can react. Old tire blow-outs often left the driver no reaction time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My TST 507 will send an alarm the moment I start to unscrew the sensor from the valve stem. No delay at all so I feel confident that it will give me the quickest warning possible should my tire start to lose air. With the warning, and if I can get to the side of the road before the tire runs too far on it's sidewalls, best chance of saving the tire by patching.
A little story- back in 2015, I was very early into fulltiming and still hadn't changed many tires in my life. On my way to a campground in Illinois, I was watching an OVER-pressure situation on my TPMS and limped it into the campground.

I didn't change the tire- being nervous about tire changes, knowing I "only" had 60 miles or so the leg, and that I was planning on having the wheels and tires replaced soon (the stop after that one). Even though I could definitely tell the tire was out of round. Idiot.

I had just gotten into Indiana when I hit a pot hole pretty hard. I don't think I could count to 5 before the TST TPMS alarmed with a low-pressure alarm.

Sure enough- the tire I had been babying lost pressure due to the impact.

And then I got to change that tire on the side of the road because that's way more fun than the safety of a campground.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:

And then I got to change that tire on the side of the road because that's way more fun than the safety of a campground.
Certainly does keep you on your toes and make you wish that you had at least one eyeball installed in the back of your head. A task best (and more safely) done with a spotter that at least can shout "LOOK OUT"

BTW, Warnings are only good if you heed them.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Yesterday we were evacuating from the hurricane in the MH and about 45 minutes out on I4 all of a sudden TPMS system alarm went off I could see that it was the RF tire and was able to see how fast/slow it was loosing pressure. Was able to get off to a safe location so roadside assistance could change the tire. Would not travel without one.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
BTW, Warnings are only good if you heed them.
Yeah, and I have a history of being a moron. Just ask me about the time I saw melted rubber thrown all over the underside of my camper and decided to embark on a 60 mile trip anyway.

That was a good one, too.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, and I have a history of being a moron. Just ask me about the time I saw melted rubber thrown all over the underside of my camper and decided to embark on a 60 mile trip anyway.

That was a good one, too.

At least you're still around to laugh about it. That's a positive

Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
Kind of a survey. Will a TPMS let you know if something is wrong before you get a blowout. Just got a system, but haven't had it long enough to know what you might see on the system.
My TST system will let me know if my pressure or temperature goes beyond set parameters. It will (and has) advised me of a slow air pressure leak. It saved me from ruining a
tire.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

A TPMS will give you a little peace of mind, but none of them are perfect.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
Brake is on left

The Tuson system updates every 6 seconds. It has user editable perameters for pressure and temperature. I have not had an issue yet, but I do see the values change pretty rapidly on the display.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The Tuson system updates every 6 seconds.
Agree, but a blowout takes about 1 second. Like I said none of these are perfect, but they are better than nothing. Without a TPMS you could have a blowout and never know it until you felt the trailer acting "funny" or you stopped for gas.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #14
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Agree, but a blowout takes about 1 second. Like I said none of these are perfect, but they are better than nothing. Without a TPMS you could have a blowout and never know it until you felt the trailer acting "funny" or you stopped for gas.
True, but the great majority of the time the "blowout" is the result of another problem that went unnoticed. Most often underinflation and overheating. Secondary causes are sidewall damage from "curbing" the tire and bearing failure. TPMS will help avoid those situations. Of course nothing is foolproof but I prefer a 6 second refresh rate to those that take minutes or only update upon a change in variable.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms