Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

TPMS Repeater wiring question

I have a repeater for my TST 507 TPMS system that I received in July this year. I hardwired it to the battery so that it would be operational all the time. The last time I towed the camper, 2 months ago, it was still working perfectly. This past weekend we took a trip and the repeater did not work.

I have another one coming but I would like to know how to wire it up so the repeater, mounted in the basement of my 5er, will receive its power from my tow vehicle through the 7 pin plug. This way it will be powered up only when the camper is connected to the truck.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for the information
Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I have a repeater for my TST 507 TPMS system that I received in July this year. I hardwired it to the battery so that it would be operational all the time. The last time I towed the camper, 2 months ago, it was still working perfectly. This past weekend we took a trip and the repeater did not work.

I have another one coming but I would like to know how to wire it up so the repeater, mounted in the basement of my 5er, will receive its power from my tow vehicle through the 7 pin plug. This way it will be powered up only when the camper is connected to the truck.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for the information
Simply wire it up to anything where 12v is convenient and add a on/off switch to the line. Turn it on when you need it, off when you don't.

Remember, the 7 pin plug's power circuit (on the 5th wheel side) has power even when disconnected from the truck because of the trailer battery(ies) providing power to the trailer brakes in an emergency. Unless you wire a switch in like I mentioned or wire it to the battery disconnect switch, the repeater is going to be powered up all the time anyway.

You could hook it to a running lamp circuit which would not have power when disconnected from the truck, but the lights would need to be on going down the road for the repeater to work.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just wired to battery with on off switch. Easiest and fastest way to do. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I just wired to battery with on off switch. Easiest and fastest way to do. Later RJD
That is the same conclusion I came to. I think I will mount the switch right next to the switch for my landing gear so I don't have to open the basement door to operate it.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

To answer the OP's question...

I think you will have to follow the wire from the trailer connector. There should be a junction box on it. Tie the repeater into either the running lights or charging line. Running lights will work if you always have them on, which would be needed if you have one of the backup cameras on that circuit.
Attached Images

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

SailorSam is right but check the wiring colors as mine were different. I tapped into the trailer wiring junction box to get it connected. His is red and mine was black.

I left the repeater inside the battery box to keep it dry.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171219-114625.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	158645

bottom left in diagram is mine. I had to test it but truck required that it was connected because my 2016 f150 does not power the aux until it sees resistance in the trailer wiring. Makes figuring it out/confirming a pain.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Just hook it to a taillight or running light, then drive with your lights on. Simple solution and improved safety.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Team

I have a battery tender pig tail connected to the battery, When I disconnect the battery tender to travel, I connect the repeater to that connector. Just reverse procedure when I get home. If you left the repeater connected for two months, your battery may have been low.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #9

I just connected mine to the controlled side of the 5er battery circuit. That way, when I'm hooked up or the battery power in the trailer is on, the TPMS is on. When the battery power is off, the TPMS is off, when the trailer is hooked up, the TPMS is powered from the TV.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

I tow my trailer with at least the "Parking Lights" on as that's how I power my rear camera (from the clearance lights).

If you only want the repeater to work when towing, just run the power lead to the nearest clearance light positive wire and just turn on the parking lights as you tow.

BTW, the extra lighting on the trailer can help during rain or dull days. Since my tow vehicle was built before daytime running lights became all the rage I will often turn on my headlights during the day if the traffic is heavy and always on two lane roads.

Anyway, this is a super simple way to get power only when you want it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #11

At the expense of sounding stupid what’s a repeater ? Also if you want to get lazy they make a remote wireless switch which is very cheap. I use one to turn my rear camera on on my 5th wheel. Do you guys have a decoder ring? I learn a lot from this forum but sometimes don’t know what the heck your talking about.
popeye305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye305 View Post
At the expense of sounding stupid what’s a repeater ? Also if you want to get lazy they make a remote wireless switch which is very cheap.
The TPMS broadcasts on a busy frequency. Remote thermometers and atomic clocks use the same frequency. You use the repeater to get a better signal. I am right on the edge where they are recognized but an hour later they drop off. The repeater solves this problem to rebroadcast the signal from the tire sensors. This way I am not looking at a false signal or no data at all. Hope that helps.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #13

TPMS Repeater wiring question

I wired my repeater to a lighted on off switch that is on my battery box cover. The repeater is inside the box. I just flip the switch on when I hook up and off when I unhook. Works for me.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Thanks for all the great suggestions. If anyone has any other questions feel free to contact me at 210-420-0132 I am always available.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms, wiring