Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

TrailBlazer towing

I just recently purchased a Grey Wolf TT and I own a 2005 Trailblazer V6 that will tow 5600lb. below are the specs for the TT. Will it be difficult to tow this with the TV?

TTLength27'3"Width8'1"Height10'5"Hitch Weight474 lbsDry Weight4,273 lbsGross Weight7,474 lbsCargo Weight3,201 lbs
Bandit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Extremely difficult to unsafe, I wouldn't recommend it. Also check your owner's manual for Maximum Trailer Frontal Area, you are probably way over. My other concern is your wheelbase. That Trailblazer is very short for a trailer that long. Oh well, sometimes we get the cart in front of the horse. Good Luck, but again I wish to remind others, AFTER THE PURCHASE is too late to ask. Also, if you don't like what you get for responses, what did you ask. This is not aimed at anyone, but seems we have a few post lately that don't like the advice given, and some also that ask after the purchase. YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!!!!! This is for all the future camper owner's reading this.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Totally agree with Windrider. That looks like a combination for potential trouble; possibly BIG trouble. At the very least, you will be very unhappy with your towing experience IMO.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you're going to like this, but the answer is "yes, it will be hard to tow".

Specifically, you are going to definitely struggle with this setup (especially in the mountains) and you run a very high probability of being over several towing limits of your TV.

You will most certainly be over the TVs towing max of 5000lbs. The TT has a dry weight of 4273. Add several hundred lbs to that for propane, batteries, a little bit of water and any options. Weigh your stuff that you will place into the TT for camping and add that, too.

For example: 4273 + 300 + 400 puts you right at the max towing cap for your Blazer. These are guesses, but you get the picture. Most people load more.

The other items you should look at are: What is the Blazer's max hitch weight, cargo limit, Gross Combined Weight Restriction, and axle ratings? How much do you and your family weigh (this will take away from how much you can tow)? Where are your going to camp - in the mountains or in the plains?

This is a big trailer for the Blazer. Be careful.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Thx for the replies. I've been looking for a truck anyways, so this is a good excuse.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Good Luck, but again I wish to remind others, AFTER THE PURCHASE is too late to ask. Also, if you don't like what you get for responses, what did you ask. This is not aimed at anyone, but seems we have a few post lately that don't like the advice given, and some also that ask after the purchase. YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!!!!! This is for all the future camper owner's reading this.
^^^^ You are so right ^^^^

This advice will save tons of money and frustration and really needs to be stressed.

To the OP - I'm not trying to slam you or make you feel bad after-the-fact. But, to be honest, you need a new vehicle.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #7

ive read alot of places where genericly to be safest is to never get a trailer thats more than 80% of your vehicles maximum tow/hitch rating when the tanks are full. that way you have more lee-way when you accedently pack too much or buy something heavy.

i know this isnt a hard and fast rule and not perfect but it seems to me a fair wait for most people to not get too big of a trailer for thier vehicles

also im of the mind of buy the trailer that fits your vehicle not the other way around. because you only use the trailer part time and will need the vehicle for more than just "camping"

good luck and please either get a truck that can fit that trailer or replace that trailer.. the trailer is disposable but you and your family is not.
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
camping

welcome to the forum!!
good advice from all. there is much more involved than my TV can tow xxxx lbs. When you look for a new TV really do some research. Know the true weight of the trailer, that includes gear, food, water, LP gas, etc. also know the weights that go into the TV including you, passengers, fluffy, bikes, grills,......

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #9

Btw if your trying to stay in an suv for family needs, the only ones that could tow that trailer are the ford excursion, the gmc taho/chevy suburban the nissan armada and the toyota sequoia.
And only if you get the heavy duty towing packages and the larger v8 engine option. otherwise you will have to go with a full sized truck or heavy duty truck. sorry there just arent many options for SUV's anymore especially since they are all being turned into "crossovers" that can barely pull a pop up camper
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Site Team

i agree with the others. the TB has an I-6, not a v-6. that engine is famous for bad mpg and the ones with the v-8 get almost the same mileage as the I-6.

the trailer is WWAAYY too much for a 6-cyl. short wheelbase tow vehicle. it'll weigh about 4700lbs. on the dealer's lot, before you add water, propane and cargo.

the I-6 TB is a popular TV for popups and smaller HTTs that are under 20' long. but not for a 27' TT.

by the way, you didn't mention the model, just the specs.
i'm assuming it's the 25RB.

and like others said, you need to do your homework before purchasing. since you've already bought the TT, please ask some questions here before buying a new tow vehicle. lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Well, Ive read all the other posts above and im going to be the first to agree with you!.............You need a new TV, Now that Ive said that ! you dont need a semi, just something with a wider wheel base and V-8. You will be able to tow that TT with your V-6. Dont know how far or how safe. But let use know where, so we all can be clear of the area !! good luck !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #12

Okay, got what you are saying. In your opinion what would be the best towing vehicle for this trailer?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit7 View Post
Okay, got what you are saying. In your opinion what would be the best towing vehicle for this trailer?
How many people in your family?

Are you still looking at this TT and what is the model number?
TTLength27'3"Width8'1"Height10'5"Hitch Weight474 lbsDry Weight4,273 lbsGross Weight7,474 lbsCargo Weight3,201 lbs
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #14

2 adults
Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #15

Oops!
Model 25RB
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #16

You will need a full size truck, super cab, long bed. V8 I prefer GAS to Diesel, but that is my preference and I never tow in any mountain area. Tow package and autmomatic Trasnmission. F150 or a Chevy 1500 should do the job fine. IF you are going to be in the mountains then maybe a Deisel and a HD truck would be better suited for you - F250/C2500.

you will need a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) with sway control (SC) and a Elec brake controller. I use a Equilizer hitch and a prodigy controller.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #17

so we just purchased a 2306 and i'm a little worried..... we won't pick up the TT for a month, but I had intended our primary TV to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee (109.5" wheelbase, 4.7L V8) that is supposed to have the following towing limits:

6,500 lb GTW
6,100 lb GVWR
11,450 lb GCWR
720 lb Tongue Load Limit
30 ft Maximum Trailer Length.

The 2306 is ~3,800 lbs empty, <400 lbs hitch(empty), and <28 ft total length. With the limits above I thought I should be safe with a good weight distribution and sway control hitch (and a brake controller and some mirror extenders).

The comment above about needing an excursion, suburban, yukon, or tahoe worried me. Is towing it with our Jeep going to be difficult.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
so we just purchased a 2306 and i'm a little worried..... we won't pick up the TT for a month, but I had intended our primary TV to be a Jeep Grand Cherokee (109.5" wheelbase, 4.7L V8) that is supposed to have the following towing limits:

6,500 lb GTW
6,100 lb GVWR
11,450 lb GCWR
720 lb Tongue Load Limit

The 2306 is ~3,800 lbs empty, <400 lbs hitch(empty), and <28 ft total length. With the limits above I thought I should be safe with a good weight distribution and sway control hitch (and a brake controller and some mirror extenders).

The comment above about needing an excursion, suburban, yukon, or tahoe worried me. Is towing it with our Jeep going to be difficult.
your set up sounds like it is in limits for your TV, should not have a problem, looks like it will leave you about 1000-1200 lbs for cargo/passengers/etc. will you be in the hills or flats?

3800 lbs empty Estimating the following: Battery 40/propane 30/driver 200/passngers 150 each /luggage 100-150 /etc 200/ gas in truck/water in camper tanks/ will put you close to combined cargo weight of about 5000lbs, giving you some relief, do not max out your towing capacity and tow on the edge, better to have a safety margain.

How much does the Cherrokee Weigh? it could change the final numbers.
alot of people reccomend taking the trailer and TV to a scale and having them weighed with all camping gear loaded, that is the only true way to be sure you ae in specs
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post

6,500 lb GTW
6,100 lb GVWR
11,450 lb GCWR
720 lb Tongue Load Limit

You should be OK with the weight, but the length might be a concern. Not sure where you got the 30' maximum trailer length, but that is probably referring to a flatbed.....not a 10' tall travel trailer.....the wind and passing tractor trailers can play havoc.....that is why you want a long wheelbased tow vehicle. Ideally with a 109" wheelbased vehicle, you should be pulling about a 20'-22' (chart vs. equation method) travel trailer. The 2306 is 23'7" according to the FR website. At least you should get a really good integrated WDH/sway control system properly set up, and take it easy.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
You should be OK with the weight, but the length might be a concern. Not sure where you got the 30' maximum trailer length, but that is probably referring to a flatbed.....not a 10' tall travel trailer.....the wind and passing tractor trailers can play havoc.....that is why you want a long wheelbased tow vehicle. Ideally with a 109" wheelbased vehicle, you should be pulling about a 20'-22' (chart vs. equation method) travel trailer. The 2306 is 23'7" according to the FR website. At least you should get a really good integrated WDH/sway control system properly set up, and take it easy.
Feeling better. The 30' trailer length came from a jeep enthusiast website WKJeeps.com - 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I also have a reg cab silverado that i can use for areas close where the wife and family can come in a separate vehicle.

I've never towed something this large. When you say take it easy, I assume you generally mean drive slower than usual?
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailblazer