Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Trailer Brake Control Output 2015 Ford F150

A few things before I get into the meat and potatoes of the post. If this has been discussed, I apologize for bringing it up again, I just couldn't find anything related to my specific issue. And hopefully the title of the thread is good enough to reach the target audience, since I am guessing the number of 2015 F150 owners is much smaller than the number of 2005-2014, lol.

Anyways, the backstory. Wife and I were paying 2 car loans (2013 F150, 2013 Ford CMAX). She was informed she would be getting a company vehicle. Awesome. So we no longer needed 2 car payments. So to rectify the car payment situation, we traded both vehicles for a brand new 2015 F150. The previous truck was 3.5 Eco, SCrew, 5.5 bed, 4X4, with a tow package (not max tow) and 3.31 gears. We had purchased that truck before we got into the world of Travel Trailer ownership, so this time we decided to buy a vehicle with that in mind. So the 2015 is the 3.5 Eco, SCrew, 4X4, Max tow (w/ telescoping mirrors that for some reason is no longer standard with max tow, you have to pay $300 for it...), 3.55 gears. The works. It came with a bunch of stuff we didn't need, but to find all the stuff we wanted we took what we could get, lol.

Now, to the issue. In my previous truck (both have the integrated trailer brake control), I had the gain set at 5.5, and everything worked flawlessly. In my new truck, I have played with the gain, but that really hasn't had any impact on my problem. And whenever I research the issue, I get plenty of info and videos about the gain, so I am a master at the ins and outs of that at this point. But it doesn't appear that there is any way to adjust the "output" of the brake. What I mean is, when I have the trailer info on my info screen in the dash, there is two meters that I can see. 1 represents the gain, pretty straightforward, the other represents the output. Off the top of my head I believe there are 5 bars for output. On my previous truck, the harder I pressed the brake, the more output bars would change from gray to green (telling me that there was output to the trailer brakes, and as I increased braking the trailer would also increase braking, makes sense to me). Now, in the new truck, I cant get the output to get beyond 2 bars. And really, it is only 1 bar. The only time I can ever see 2 bars is if I am stopped, and I push the pedal til I cant push it anymore, then sometimes a second bar will change from gray to green.

So I have 2 problems in this scenario. First, I cant find any way to make an adjustment to increase the output. So when I am driving, I am forced to reach down and manually slide the controller to manually apply the trailer brakes because the output to the trailer just isn't adequate. the second issue with this, is that the truck computer (this is my opinion, I don't know this for a fact) appears to be smart enough to know that the output isn't adequate, and it uses the engine brake to make up for the lack of trailer brake. The engine braking in this scenario is so aggressive, that it has downshifted all the way to 2nd gear (from 5th) going 55 mph. It was shocking to say the least, to have the truck drop it into 2nd gear at that speed, and seeing the RPM jump to about 5600 when it happened.

Are there any people who have seen an issue like this? Is there an adjustment I can make? Etc. In my previous truck, I hooked it up, and it worked. So I have limited experience with the brake controller. I just need to increase the output to the trailer, and no one that I have talked seems to have a solution. The forums always have some answers or some possibilities to investigate, so hopefully you can help me out

(Assuming the attached pic uploads and everyone can see it). The pic is not my truck, but that is basically what I have for the display. You can see on the left is the gain setting, and on the right is the output. There "isn't enough brake pedal" for me to get the output to max out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Brake Controller.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	86016  

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
An update to my previous issue. It may have been a simple configuration issue in the driver controls. I say it "may" have been because I have made the change, but haven't had the opportunity to tow with the truck to see if it actually fixed the problem

In my previous truck, there was one set of trailer settings. In my new truck, you can add a number of trailer "profiles". Which is a handy feature if you have multiple trailers that you tow, and it can save a lot of time to just select which trailer you are towing and go from there.

When I created the profile for my trailer, I didn't change the brake type to "electric over hydraulic". I was looking at the settings in the "default" trailer for comparison, and that was set to "electric over hydraulic". It makes sense to me that changing that setting should resolve my issue. I will send an update as soon as I am able to test out the new configuration.

2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
That's a very long post. Just a tip, but many will not read all of that. (But I did!)

Have you read the instructions? There are clear instructions for how to set up your brake controllers, and I don't hear you referencing any of them. I think I saw your long post on another thread, which I just posted to. Check that out.

The short answer is "Yes", there is a way to adjust the gain. I don't have an integrated controller, but all of them require setting the max voltage. But I don't know exactly which knob to turn or button to push, since I use an aftermarket Tekonsha Prodigy. I think you need to read your owner's manual on this topic, so you don't just take my word for it.
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Setting the gain isn't the concern. Trying to determine if the trailer brakes are working is the concern.

2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
I have a 2014 F150 with int trailer brake, you have to start at roughly 4.0 then using the test lever in a parking lot at 10mph drive then use the test lever to see if slowly squeezing the controller locks up your brakes.

I have a SCREW FX4 with EB and a Roo23ikss which is roughly 5100#;s, so mine is set at Max 5.0 and with that setting I am able to squeeze the test lever and get my truck and trailer to come to a nice stop without locking up the brakes on my trailer. I do not use the electric over hydraulic since it is not a surge break setup (used on boat trailers and landscaping trailers mostly), most Trailers only use electric brakes.
2016 F350 Supercew Short Box 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon
You are right to suspect the electric over hydraulic setting would adversely affect braking performance.
Electric over hydraulic is not a surge brake, it is a hydraulic brake (usually disc rather than drum) that is actuated by an electric pump.
Why it would be the default setting for your IBC is a mystery to me, but it appears to be that way for 2015.
I have heard of guys setting the controller to electric and saving the profile only to find later that it has reverted to hydraulic over electric. If yours does this you'll need to take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

brake control, f150, ford, trailer, brakes