Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
Trailer brake wiring problem

I am looking for any advice or suggestions. Since I have hooked up a New 2015 Forest River Sierra 5th wheel. (43 ft with a mid -room) to my 2014 Ram 2014 2500 Diesel, I had been getting intermittent error messages stating "check brake wiring" or "wiring disconnected". The result is no trailer brakes at all...Now after having a plug receptical moved from the bumper to the bed, I'm getting no message and don't have any trailer brakes at all. Both the mail and female plugs have been replaced...still no brakes. Any suggestions? Techs at the rv world are scratchin their heads....please help? I love close to Seattle, We., if anyone can recommend a repair place, I would also appreciate this as well....

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Might not be a solution for your problem but they should be able to test the thing. If they can't take it to somebody that can. It's possible that it is under the hood in the truck. In the trailer circuit.

2013 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Stank Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
I'd start by checking continuity from trailer plug to trailer breaks...Then test the truck and see what you find. Sounds like bad wiring. The only other thing I can think of is the brakes need to be adjusted. Others will jump in with good knowledge... Good luck...
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT

2016 Days Booked - 31!
Justice12t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou
Sounds like a bad ground at the trailer junction box.

The ground wire from the Bargman goes to a screw into the frame of the trailer. A bad ground due to paint or rust under the screw head could cause this problem.

It could also be a bad crimp at the pigtail end (pin 1) inside the junction box to the wire that goes to the frame ground screw.

You might have been catching an intermittent ground at the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7way.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	102311   Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043_aa_600.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	102312  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
I'll support the bad ground theory as the most likely source of the problem. Keep in mind that it will not hurt anything to add additional ground points. I have one trailer that has one long ground wire running up and down the trailer. It runs through each of the four brakes. I developed an intermittent fault much like yours. I added a ground at the far end of the loop and fixed my problem.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
Use a simple $5 test light from the auto parts store, then just dedicate some time to checking every wire coming into the back of the connector at the rear bumper of the truck. After verifying you have a GOOD ground, have someone operate the brake pedal and use the test light to verify operation using Herk's chart above. Parking light wires are sometimes referred to as tail markers (TM). When my plug was moved from the bumper to the bed as yours was, the technician mis-matched or cross wired two wires so look at the chart carefully and wire by function, not color code.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
You can do a basic test by jumping the blue brake wire on the trailer directly to a good 12 volt battery. If it's OK that way, look on the vehicle side.
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
I blew a fuse in my pdc on my 06 that caused the same thing.
2015 Tacer ultra light executive edition 3200bht
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7, Dually, crew cab, long bed
SilverArrowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
You should have 2 fuse boxes on your tow vehicle - one under the hood and the other under the dash. Both fuse boxes have fuses relating to tow packages. Check both places. Your owner's manual will tell you which ones.

2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Before getting into too much I would go pull the breakaway brake switch plug (connected to the wire at the pin box) and reinsert it a couple of times. A tech up in Canada told me to do that when I had that problem. Did not clear my problem but turned out I had a bad breakaway switch, so he was right on the problem but short on the solution. Story too long to tell there, but 7000 miles in Canada/Alaska with no brakes on a 33' 5er was a real adventure!

RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, wiring, brakes