Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer brakes lock

The electric brakes on my trailer work as they should most of the time, but sometimes one or more of the wheels will lock up. What would be causing this ? Any ideas, Thanks
captdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What brake controller are you using ?? What year and model of trailer ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Had the Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave View Post
The electric brakes on my trailer work as they should most of the time, but sometimes one or more of the wheels will lock up. What would be causing this ? Any ideas, Thanks
I had the same problem. I'd get the brake controller adjusted to where I wanted it, and it'd lock up after a few stops. Finally took it back to the dealer and they found wiring connections hadn't been made to the brakes on the back axle. Everything is fine now. One more item the factory and dealer failed to finish/find. It was still under warranty.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #4

It doesn't sound like a controller issue since it is not occurring on all wheels at the same time. It sound like you are either getting an intermittent short, the magnets are damaged, or it's not a brake issue at all. Your bearings may be going and getting an occasional lock up.

Either way it is not safe to tow. It needs to be fully inspected. I would imagine you'll have some wheel damage as well.

I feel for ya.. just be glad you were paying enough attention to your rig that nothing catastrophic has happened. Good on ya!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
... I would imagine you'll have some wheel damage as well...
Don't see how he would have wheel damage, but could see some hub damage.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't see how he would have wheel damage, but could see some hub damage.
I should have said tire instead of wheel. Just thinking that having 1 or 2 wheels locking up and dragging down the road mid tow might not be too good for them.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

Trailer brakes lock

Might check & see if you are getting some grease on that one brake pad. Also I had a short in a wire going to one wheel that would allow it to drag now an then.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

I have a drawtite activator II, trailer is a 2007 cherokee. I plan to take it to the shop, just wondering what might be causing it. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave View Post
I have a drawtite activator II, trailer is a 2007 cherokee. I plan to take it to the shop, just wondering what might be causing it. Thanks for the information.
That brake controller may be part of the problem. That is a time actuated brake controller. You set the delay and intensity. If the intensity is set too high, after the set delay is reached you may be applying too much electricity to the brakes.

A proportional brake controller would be a better choice.

The other part of the equation is the year of the trailer. With an 8 year old trailer, a thorough inspection of the brakes are due, including wiring, shoe pad remaining, magnets, along with grease seal inspection/replacement.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

The trailer seams ok, so I ordered a new proportional brake controller.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Not understand it being a controller issue. If it's a controller issue one would think all wheels would lock up. I guess is some wheels are loaded much heaver than the others then the lightest one might skid?

Russell
Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #12

From experience I can tell you all wheels do not lock up if you have the gain to high.
When I had my last trailer I was adjusting the brake controller and my passenger side would lock up, but not the drivers side if the gain was to high. Never knew why, but eventually I got it "just right" after several times around the block and adjusting it.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Might check & see if you are getting some grease on that one brake pad. Also I had a short in a wire going to one wheel that would allow it to drag now an then.

Russell
Grease on a shoe will definitely NOT make it grab, just the opposite. Now, if he has grease on 3 shoes, then one would definitely grab.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #14

Trailer brakes lock

I just respectfully disagree. Been in the truck & trailer business for 40 year. Grease attracts dirt & grime and will cause one wheel to drag. Most likely not his issue as it can be several other things. I really don't figure it to be a controller problem as all wheels would either work or not work.

Russell
Old 06-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Grease may attract dirt, but grease by nature reduces the coefficient of friction and will impede the function of the brake shoe with the drum. If you want something to slide easier, you apply grease.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #16

Trailer brakes lock

Not on a hot brake drum. Hot brake drum & grease lock up in a second. On a bolt maybe. That all I care to say about it. I'm not here to have any disagreement. Really don't matter to me

Russell
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Not on a hot brake drum. Hot brake drum & grease lock up in a second. On a bolt maybe. That all I care to say about it. I'm not here to have any disagreement. Really don't matter to me

Russell

x2 this is true/
Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Russell
They have to get hot first! Driving thru water will do the same as soon as the water is dried off the shoes.

Tags
brakes, trailer