Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #21

We can talk about it all day long and there are numerous threads on this site alone about trailers coming loose. But in the end..."can't fix stupid." And I'm guessing in 95 percent of trailer disconnects it is a problem with the person connecting vs. actual equipment failure.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
... crossed the safety chains underneath the hitch and made sure they were hooked in opposite directions.
Are you supposed to criss-cross the chains? I've had people tell me not to do it.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #23

thestrangebrew the purpose of crossing the chains is to catch the tongue so it doesn't dig into ground if it pops off the ball.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #24

While obviously a tragedy, I fail to see the logic in attempting to tie this to weight and overloading. A trailer "comes loose" when you have the wrong size ball, don't have chains, fail to inspect the nut on the ball, or don't properly latch the coupler. I would be very surprised to find that this is a case of being overweight and the trailer actually ripping free from the TV. I'd love to hear exactly what happened if you can get more info.

Edit: I started typing this when there were no responses. Apparently we can make it to page 3 before I can get a paragraph typed on an iPad!!!!! Made more sense at post 2 than it does at page 3.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Are you supposed to criss-cross the chains? I've had people tell me not to do it.
I always criss-cross after it was explained in a boating safety course I took. IIRC, this what we were told:

Criss-crossing the chains acts as a cradle to support the tongue from hitting the ground if the trailer comes off (imagine what happens if the front of the trailer hit the ground and caught on something too).

Also by crossing the chains, equal tension and length remain the same at all times if the trailer comes off during a turn.

I was told it was the law in LA, but never verified it.

U-Haul says the same:

http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/7...k-up-a-trailer

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #26

Very good advice about doing your own hitching and looking it over after every stop. Before the ProPride I always locked the coupler, too. I guess if someone wants to unhitch my 3P they'll need to make sure they have the proper tools.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
While obviously a tragedy, I fail to see the logic in attempting to tie this to weight and overloading. A trailer "comes loose" when you have the wrong size ball, don't have chains, fail to inspect the nut on the ball, or don't properly latch the coupler. I would be very surprised to find that this is a case of being overweight and the trailer actually ripping free from the TV. I'd love to hear exactly what happened if you can get more info.

x2 and also don't have the ball in the coupler correctly. One of my trailers I have to triple check it as the ball will not always go in all the way properly.......

I have seen numerous wrecks over the years & the majority of the time when hitched properly the TV & the trailer stay attached even with one or the other on its side.

Most accidents are human error or "unsafe acts" as apposed to equipment failure. Failure to hitch correctly or not leaving enough stopping distance, or over correcting when in a panic maneuver or whatever it may be.

Usually overloaded TT set ups cause drive train failures (Transmissions most of the time) or other issues damaging the TV. Stopping is also another issue.

In my younger days before I knew any better I pulled a 22 foot Terry through several states behind my F150 with no trailer brakes. (did not know what trailer brakes felt like) Never had an issue stopping the rig. Ran it two years like that.

Now I have 5 trailers 2 Fivers (TH & a car hauler) and 3 other bumper pulls all are different & all need the knowledge of proper hitching.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

x2 and also don't have the ball in the coupler correctly. One of my trailers I have to triple check it as the ball will not always go in all the way properly.......

I have seen numerous wrecks over the years & the majority of the time when hitched properly the TV & the trailer stay attached even with one or the other on its side.

Most accidents are human error or "unsafe acts" as apposed to equipment failure. Failure to hitch correctly or not leaving enough stopping distance, or over correcting when in a panic maneuver or whatever it may be.

Usually overloaded TT set ups cause drive train failures (Transmissions most of the time) or other issues damaging the TV. Stopping is also another issue.

In my younger days before I knew any better I pulled a 22 foot Terry through several states behind my F150 with no trailer brakes. (did not know what trailer brakes felt like) Never had an issue stopping the rig. Ran it two years like that.

Now I have 5 trailers 2 Fivers (TH & a car hauler) and 3 other bumper pulls all are different & all need the knowledge of proper hitching.

I hear ya! When we bought our first camper, my truck was in the shop on the day I was scheduled to pick it up. I took my wife's Expedition to pick it up. It weighed 4K with a listed tongue weight of 432lbs or thereabouts. No WDH, no sway control, no trailer brakes. Figured I'd just take it easy and it'd be no problem. When hitching up the rear of that Expy was LOW. I eased out and started the 40 mile trip home. I was getting whipped around like crazy. Massive sway. Finally figured out that they had filled the freshwater tank that was under the bed in the very front of the trailer. Almost doubled the tongue weight and when it sloshed side to side it was causing tons of sway. Drained the tank and it was a completely different animal. No problem stopping it or maintaining control. Main problem then was the gutless 4.6L (1997 model). It doesn't like to move just the Expy around- it hated having that load behind it.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Edit: I started typing this when there were no responses. Apparently we can make it to page 3 before I can get a paragraph typed on an iPad!!!!! Made more sense at post 2 than it does at page 3.
The OP was posted 4 days ago.

You must type really slow...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
The OP was posted 4 days ago.

You must type really slow...
That's funny! For some reason only the first post showed on my iPad when I responded!

Tags
trailer