Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer Coupler Lock

I'm looking for advice on the best trailer locks available...

This has been discussed in years' past... however, I just saw a couple of YouTube videos where most types of trailer coupler locks were defeated within seconds or minutes using bolt cutter, hack saw, crow bar or hammer.
In some cases the thief simply used a wrench to remove and replace with a new coupler. The video was produced by one of the companies selling a box type lock. Do these work?

What do you recommend if you REALLY want to make it difficult for the thief?
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

If they want it you can't stop them. I had a friend( passed away now) that a few years ago made a lock for the dual axles that locked both wheel on one side together. I believe that would be the best protection. He tried to get patened but do not think he ever did. was made in such a way no way trailer could be pulled away without dragging the tires. had a pad lock on it but no way to get bolt cutters to it would need a cutting torch to get off.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Video attached showing how easily most trailer locks are defeated... sad but true.

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Locks in general only keep honest people honest. About the only way to really ensure somebody doesn't drive away with your trailer is weld it to anchors in the ground. And even then, they could always cut those off with a cutting torch.

The coupler lock I use is easily defeated by just using a smaller size ball. But I'm not worried about it. It's parked in a gated storage facility, and it has cameras, so there's going to be some logs about who comes and goes. Not that that'll help if somebody did drive off with the camper. The insurance takes care of that.

Speaking of the storage lot. I do see some people using boots (like the ones parking enforcement use) on some of the cars stored on the lot. The funny thing is, those cars are often old junkers barely worth the steel they contain. Come on, you're really worried about somebody driving away with your '88 caprice that's missing a door and has a 1/2 caved in roof? Or that '84 reliant with no interior?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

I work in an auto theft unit in Texas. Although travel trailers aren't high on the list when it comes to thefts, they are still a target. It doesn't seem to matter as to the storage location as much as the ease of theft. Most crooks will pray on easy targets with the least amount of work . The longer it takes to steal the higher the chance of capture.

The best IMO advice is to harden the target. The more things that have to be defeated the less appealing the target is.

My TT is stored under cover of a gated, 'secure' storage unit. There are cameras all over , but typically the suspects plates are covered or switched out. To harden the target I have a simple hitch lock, I lower all stabilizers, place my x chocks and place a padlock in place to help prevent removal. In the event it stays for an extended period without use I will be removing the battery. If they truly want it they will take it no matter what's done, but why make it easy on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer