Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

IMO, get a Hensley, ProPride or Pullrite. I think it was on here where I saw a video of a GM 1 ton dually crewcab pulling abt a 34 ft TT with a weight dist hitch and it caught some wind. In a minute or so the trailer was on it's side and the rear wheels of the truck off the ground. Now that was as big a truck as you would normally find and that trailer took it for a ride like it was a toy. I have a Blue Ox and under most and I say most conditions it works very well but I was in a position like that dually one day and almost lost our truck in a cross wind and we have a Megacab 4x4 Dodge. The trailer pushed the truck around like a toy again and Ihad to slow down to abt 40 mph to get home. Pretty near had some stinky stuff in my pants that day. I am going to have a ProPride before our next major adventure guaranteed. All sway control hitches work pretty much the same except the Hensley and ProPride or the Pullrite do yourself and everyone on the road a favor and get one of those 3, the trailer you save may be your own.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think I would be more concerned about things like the tongue weight, loaded trailer weight, and location of the trailer's water tank.

The old wheelbase to trailer length formula is dubious and there are several versions floating around - another one is "20’ trailer for the first 110” of wheelbase plus one additional foot for every 4” of wheelbase". Its like the 80% guidline. It might help someone stay out of trouble if they don't want to do the math.

To the OP, I believe you posted your TV as an Avelanche and the traile as a Greywolf 28BH. I am not familiar with your truck, but I think you are probably pushing its limits. Which is fine if you know you're pushing it and not over it. Anyway, the Hensley and Propride will eliminate any sway and are the best and I would also recommend these to you for your setup. The Equal-i-zer and Reese Dual cam are next and will help to control sway but not eliminate it. How much money do you want to spend?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCamper View Post
Reese hitch dual cam system used here as well. Been using the same system for 10-years with great experience. Trailer tows straight and true even when passing or being passed by semi trucks on the freeway. Built in anti-sway and load leveling. If purchasing ensure you purchase with proper weight bars based on your hitch weight requirement.
X2 on getting appropriate sized bars. Bigger is NOT better. I learned this the hard way. Get enough but not too much. My tongue weight is between 500 and 600 pounds. Had 1,200 bars. Too stiff. Didn't work quite right. Now I have 800 pound bars. Much better.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #14

I have used the Reese Dual Cam system for 10 years now and it works great. I used it with a 1997 3/4 ton GMC Suburban with a 130" wheel base and i am using the same hitch system with my newer 2008 Heavy Duty 1/2 ton Chevy Pick up with 144" wheel base.
I tow a 2006 8314ss approx 34' long, the Reese Dual Cam works great with both truck, but it works even better with the longer wheel base.

Suggestion, get the right hitch system for the trailer, and the most inportant thing is that the hitch system MUST be installed correctly or you could fine yourself and your rig on it's side across the road.

Mine was installed wrong after i bought the camper i have now by the dealer and i came close to flipping the Suburban and the trailer in the middle of interstate 76 heading to Hershey, i was lucky i had to use all lanes to get it back in control and there was no one around me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese Dual Cam Wieght Dist And Sway Control System.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	4237  
Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

i use an Equal-i-zer on my Avalanche, pulling a 23' 5000lbs. HTT.

i love it and highly recommend it. cost me $400 from RVW including shipping.
i think they cost about $459 with shipping, now.

once it's setup, you can forget it. easy, especially with an electric tongue jack, which is an excellent inexpensive mod.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Since your sway control with the Equilizer is the torque setting of the upper bolts; I found that I needed to retorque them before every trip.
I made a habit of it as part of my predeparture checklist.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Since your sway control with the Equilizer is the torque setting of the upper bolts; I found that I needed to retorque them before every trip.
I made a habit of it as part of my predeparture checklist.

Lou, I am not sure I am understanding what you mean by "the upper bolts" on the equalizer?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #18

As Lou said the two bolts that hold the bar sockets to the hitch head need to be re torqued each trip. One of mine, the right one I think allways seems to need a little tightening. I carry a torque wrench with the socket on it set to the correct torque. I check the torque everytime I hook up. Takes less than 30 seconds.
I use a 10,000 lb Equalizer and have no sway.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #19

If the Equalizer is anything like the Blue Ox Sway Pro that I had you can use some blue Loc-Tite (do not use red) to keep these screws from loosening once you have determined what torque setting works best for you. I would not advise using lock washers but the loc-tite worked for me.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffkm View Post
If the Equalizer is anything like the Blue Ox Sway Pro that I had you can use some blue Loc-Tite (do not use red) to keep these screws from loosening once you have determined what torque setting works best for you. I would not advise using lock washers but the loc-tite worked for me.
FYI,...I don't know if anyone knows this but Loc-Tite both blue and red has an expiration date on the bottle, what the effects are after the date i am not sure of, but just wanted to bring to your attention.