Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
I torque mine to 60. I can still move them by hand, but it is not easy. I foot works better. When I said my right bolt was usualy a little loose I ment it is about 40-50 lbs where the left is allway right on 60 lbs. This could be due to wear although I have pulled this rig 8000+ miles and keep them well grease with Equalizer grease. Or maybe I turn more to the right than the left. Anyway like I said it takes just a few seconds to check the torque. It has become part of my hook up routine.

2010 Rockwood 2604SS
2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
How do the E2's compare with the original Equalizers? I see they are made by the same company?
Big Dawg,

I looked at both the E2 and original Equalizer when I bought my Swaypro. The original equalizer has friction points at the sliders of the load equalizer arms and at the pivot point of the arms in the hitch (thus 4 point sway control). The new less costly E2 only has the friction points at the sliders of the load equalizer arms and not at the pivot point (thus 2 point sway control). I have never used either so cannot comment on performance of one versus the other.

2011 Rockwood 2901SS Ultra Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado Z71---Hensley Arrow Hitch
my other toy---1969 Camaro 396 SS
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #33
Wanna Be Camper
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
I would agree with above statement IF, A, you have $2500 burning a hole in your pocket AND B, you have a marginal to less than marginal tow vehicle and trailer combo.

Tho it is hard to believe, thousands upon thousands of campers are pulled thousands of miles everyday with some of the most basic of setups.
As for that video you saw, that same thing would have happened with an 18 wheeler, it is simple physics, big enough surface area combined with enough wind and ANYTHING will go over. Have you never seen video footage from tornados and hurricanes?

Just because you dont does not mean it cannot be done and be done safely.

I see,

So you are saying a 3/4 ton 4x4 Megacab is a less than marginal TV? And your Ford must be soo much better.

Not sure where you got your facts from.. And no I live in a bubble we don't see anything.. Here in Saskatchewan it is sunny all the time and we never have tornadoes or high winds.. heck it is daytime all the time as well and all we do here is hang out around campfires singing kumbaya.

but apparently you know everything.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #34
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i use an Equal-i-zer on my Avalanche, pulling a 23' 5000lbs. HTT.

i love it and highly recommend it. cost me $400 from RVW including shipping.
i think they cost about $459 with shipping, now.

once it's setup, you can forget it. easy, especially with an electric tongue jack, which is an excellent inexpensive mod.
I like the Equalizer, too. Since I haven't used any of the others, I don't know how it would compare. You are exactly right that the power jack makes using it a whole lot easier. I DID try doing that both ways, and having to raise so much weight off the back of the truck sometimes made it difficult to crank up by hand. Also, the price you mentioned sounds great for folks with the expertise to intstall it and get it set up right. I paid my dealer an extra $800 for the Equalizer and installation. I just wasn't confident I could get it set up correctly. In my case the peace of mind was expensive, like an insurance policy.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #35
Retired US Navy Diver
TV is pulling approx #600 hitch weight #7000 GVWR. I wanted the dual cam WDH but it wouldn't fit on my trailer tongue w/ the coupler welded to the underside of the A frame. Seller put on a EQ2 which is the Equalizer with the weight distribution bars that connect in sockets to the hitch and the sway friction is at the 2 L brackets.

Didn't even feel the trailer back there on the drive back from Oklahoma to WA. Many times at 70 to 75 mph. With the change to my TV from a 26 to a 46 gallon fuel tank I found my front end light. Spent some time on the WDH last week to make adjustments for the weight changes in my TV and found the original installation was somewhat sloppy. The brackets for the L plates were suppose to be minumum 27" from coupling center. It was way less. I went by the instructions and have it installed exactly as instructed. Still performs great. Never experience any sway. Would love to switch to the Pro Pride but I agree spending that kind of money when a $300/400 hitch works just great is hard to justify.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #36
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I see,

So you are saying a 3/4 ton 4x4 Megacab is a less than marginal TV? And your Ford must be soo much better.
WOW! That is one of the problems with forums, you write something down and somebody misunderstands it or does not re-read before replying.
#1, I was not talking about you OR your TV, I was talking to/about the OP and anybody else who may just be getting into looking at campers and then finding a forum and then asking the seemingly innocuous question of "opinions on a good WDH" and basically getting an answer of "if you value your life and the lives of those around you, you have to spend $2500" yes, I am paraphrasing there but that is how it sounds to somebody who has no idea on how any of this works.
And then you add the kill shot scare factor of the videographic evidence that you and quite a few others have seen of a trailer being pulled in crosswinds that was flipped over and picked the rear wheels of a dually off the ground, which is similar to a situation that happened to you. While I am sorry to hear that happened to you and I am glad you are okay, the plain fact is, there IS NO hitch that will help when the wind reaches enough velocity to knock your sail on wheels over!
No, I don't know everything but I do know a few things and one of them is that the larger the area the more force velocity can exert upon it.

I see you are kinda touchy and I love our Canadian neighbors so to reiterate, I was not attacking you or your fine Dodge product, I just want to get along with everybody!

And for the record, YOU said Ford was better....

Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Not sure where you got your facts from.. And no I live in a bubble we don't see anything.. Here in Saskatchewan it is sunny all the time and we never have tornadoes or high winds.. heck it is daytime all the time as well and all we do here is hang out around campfires singing kumbaya.

but apparently you know everything.
I Love Kumbaya!!
Unfortunately one of my coworkers recently enlightened me as to the origins of that song so I no longer sing it....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #37
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I agree that if your TT is longer than magic formula for the TV wheel base, and your way over. Ex -- Formula says not to pull a TT longer than 26' and your pulling a 35'. You might want to invest in a Hensey Arrow or Propride 3P (Im not gettting into which is better, IMO- if youy like orange get the Hensley,if you like Black get the Propride). Anyway they're $2000+. I have a Equalizer 4-Pt Anti-sway Hitch and have found it to work very well. I have a 2010 Ford F-150 w/34' TT, Im way over the formula, Equalizer works fine for me, but you will only find me driving 55-60 mph period !! Im am not endangering my life or others because im speeding pulling a 34' missle. --- Note I believe what RhoZeta was saying "in that video that your talking about the TV was pulling a Park Model, very large and not very aero, has very high side walls and flat front. So even if a Semi was pulling that very TT, that TT would have flipped in that cross wind gust. PS -- I agree with Lou, Im not a weak person and I cant move those bars to the L-brakets sometimes ( I have a 7'-bar, I use to get them over), I thought that was the main part of the sway control on a Equalizer. Oh well ,im off my soap box. -- Cant wait till spring, Camper sleeping in storage until April 18(tax day this year) !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #38
This is not aimed at anyone in specific but:

Using the "divide by 5" formula, my 155.5 inch wheel base truck is "limited" to a 31 foot trailer?

Or the other formula of "first 110 is 20 feet and then 1 foot for every 4 inches" has it comming out at 31.75?

What's the freakin' difference?

Anyways, as mentioned, tonque weight, GVWR and CGVWR are much more salient numbers here.

For the record, my 831rlbss (classed at 31 feet but 34 feet hitch to bumper) tows with my 98 ECLB 155.5 inch wheel base truck just fine thank you!

But, I'm also using a Husky Centerline WD hensly, propride or other "hoochie gootchie" hitch.

Just good ol' WD and friction sway control, like Equlizer brand hitch.

I have no idea why anyone would tow without at least a WD style hitch when talking TT's....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #39
LOL! Hootchie gootchie!! I like that!

I do not have a problem if somebody wants to pop 2 or 3 grand on a hitch setup, more power to them. But what I can not stand is for somebody to offer up the thought that if you dont, you will surely die in an apocalyptic hellfire inferno whilst also killing every living thing within a 2 mile radius....

And I also dont like, and will refute, the thought one member on here posted
who said ANYBODY who has a tongue pull trailer, no matter what type of hitch, will surely die in said hellfire inferno of apocalyptic size and heat and will kill every living organism within a 5 mile radius!!

Again, just because you (talking in general, not addressed to a specific person) can't/won't or don't want to do something, for whatever reason, does not mean it cannot be done by somebody else.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #40
You know we have a member here that is looking for good advise from a great forum and it seems to me that it is starting to get personal and ugly and sounding like a bad hitch job, so why not go back and help and not destroy the thread..........................and blow the members mind.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote