Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
This discussion is very timely for me because I was told just today by an engineer from Dexter Chassis Group that the Reese Dual Cam Sway Control is not recommended because it requires that two holes be drilled in the frame in order to mount the sway control frame plate. He went on to say that not only was the Reese system not recommended, the drilling of the two holes voids the warranty. I understand that Dexter Chassis makes most of the frames used by Forest River. I have a new Rockwood 2304 which is the reason I called Dexter. Has anyone else had the same experience and if so what did you do?
After reading many posts on here about the trailer frame warranty being void if you mount anything on your trailer (including a hitch that is a requirement to tow your trailer) I wouldn't concern yourself too much with drilling a couple holes to mount the Reese. It appears that Dexter will go to whatever length they have to in order to shuck any possible responsibility for their products. I had to drill four holes into my frame as well to mount my Hensley and I am not worried about it a bit. Being a design engineer myself I understand that four small holes are not going to weaken the frame to the point of failure. It is did, the frame is way way undersized for the load even without four small drilled holes.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
This discussion is very timely for me because I was told just today by an engineer from Dexter Chassis Group that the Reese Dual Cam Sway Control is not recommended because it requires that two holes be drilled in the frame in order to mount the sway control frame plate.
That was a concern for me when I got my trailer also. I decided to go with the Reese system, not realizing at the time that holes had to be drilled. There has not been a problem.....so far.

Reese Dual Cam, along with most friction bar sway controls all require holes to drilled for installation. I don't think Equalizer brand does. Not sure about Blue Ox.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Reese Dual Cam, along with most friction bar sway controls all require holes to drilled for installation. I don't think Equalizer brand does. Not sure about Blue Ox.
Husky Centerline doesn't require drilling either.

Two plates "sandwich" the trailer frame for the friction/equalizer bar mounts.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffkm View Post
I've never looked at that particular model before, just checked the Puma website, nice floorplan.

As long as you are within the gross vehicle weight limits of your F250 you should be fine with a good weight distribution hitch (Blue Ox/Equalizer or a Hensley/Propride for added anti-sway insurance). The wheelbase calculation is a guideline to go by and not written law. What is your trucks wheelbase? If you go strictly by the calculation you would need a 173 3/4" wheelbase vehicle. I just checked the Chevy website (sorry, GM guy so cannot even go to the that other truck site, computer won't let me) and even a 3500 dually only has a 167.7" wheelbase. As long as your truck is not a shortbed, short cab I would think that you will be fine. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with.
Thanks,

I just discovered that my Wheel base is 142" not 176" like I thought, I talked with the RV dealer and he said that my truck with a WD would handle this fine. I am suppose to take delivery this week but I am still uncertain if i"m getting too much TT for my F250.

Thanks,
Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote