Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Originally Posted by fiddler63 View Post
I have a 2012 Coachmen Chapaaral 280RLS fifth wheel.
I really need to add a cargo carrying rack to the back to carry a small generator (about 80 lbs) and a couple of bikes. I'd also like to get the spare off that 4" tube as well, because it's not the best place for it to be.
I've read in this forum that Forest River has stated that a hitch receiver should not be installed on an Ultralite frame. I think this model 280RLS is a lite model, not an Ultralite. The twin I-beams under the coach certainly seem robust enough to accept a hitch.
So my questions are
1. Is this an ultra lilte or a lite model fifth wheel frame?
2. Is it possible to have a hitch fabricated and welded/drilled/bolted to accept a cargo carrier?
Thanks is advance
Is your Dodge a short bed?
Is there a tool box in the front of the bed?
I have thought about installing a genset in the front storage next to the battey box.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Don't know if your 5er is ultra lite of light frame. Should be able to contact Coachman and they can tell you. Both Curt and Reese have bolt on or weld hitches for RV's.

Moose509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Everyone cries when this topic comes up because many are too scared to try it and unable to physically do it... Can it be done? Hell yes it can! Can it be done safely? Hell yes it can! Is it being done? Hell yes it is being done!

As stated you need to take an educated approach to it and for anyone that is "unsure" shouldn't be posting as it is wasted space and time...

Many states allow it and more allow it behind a 5er instead of a TT.

A hitch doesn't "need" to be welded to the frame. If you look at this

Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch Receiver for RVs, 22" to 72" Wide Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches 13703

it has the option to be bolted or welded... Either are sufficient... I personally put a clamp on style onto my rear bumper as all I pull behind is a single jet ski.

Obviously if you're going to triple tow you need to think ahead when you are stopping, turning and all the typical tasks you encounter while driving. For the most part I am willing to bet you won't even notice the boat back there... I certainly have NO idea the jet ski is behind mine...

Something to consider is a second brake controller if you have brakes on the boat trailer(would be a good idea). I really like the idea of a secondary brake controller for the rear trailer as if you do end with a little sway you can grab the manual brake for the rear trailer and it will stretch your land train and straighten everything out...

Many things to think about if you are considering... Make sure to ask any questions you may have and don't fret the nay sayers...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Denver, CO
My Vcross is pretty light and has a 250 capacity rack in the back, that is welded to the frame with square steel tubing. Seems that would be an approach to look into.
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
I bolted a hidden hitch 82201 on my hybrid and towed jet ski for a few years with no issue. Would be careful if you have rear slide close to back end.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
In GA you can double tow behind a 5er not to exeed 60ft. but not behind a TT, so says the law, but you see TT with small trailers behind(golf carts, motorcycles, jet ski, etc).
A friend pulls his bass tracker behind his 38ft 5er, length is over 60ft. but again he has never had any issues from the law.

Moose509 is offline   Reply With Quote

hitch, trailer