Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Red face Trailer Nightmare Please Help!

I currently have a 38' sierra sport bumper pull. I have taken it on about 4 trips this year, and after every one I want to trade my beautiful trailer in!!! Its a trailering night mare! I have the largest equalizer hitch with air bags and electric brakes. I pull with a 2007 Chevrolet Duramax Diesel. Truck does have a lift approx 6" with 35" tires. I have asked my sales person time and time again how to balance the load so as to not get to much sway. He cannot help me.. Does anyone know where a good starting point is to make towing my trailer safe for me and my family? Thanks

fyrstompr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
What is the wheelbase of your truck?

Also, lifted vehicles are inherently less stable than non lifted. It goes with the territory. Coming from a background of years of Jeepn' with 6" lift and 35" tires my Jeep has horrible road manners from when it was stock. I never advise lift kits for any vehicle unless it is for making it more off-road capable. Lifts for looks are never a good idea.

"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Jeeper is right about the lift. Changes the geometry bumper to bumper. Aside from that issue, the unit you have is huge for a bumper pull. Everything would have to be perfectly balanced to make this one feel comfortable to pull. Start with tongue weight, the most important number to bumper pull happiness! The local grain elevator or using bathroom scales in your own driveway are a couple ways to get your tongue weight. The subject is covered in depth on many websites. Google it and do it..!
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Head Rambler
Exactly which model do you have? I searched and can't find a model with a 38 in it, especially a bumper pull.

By you saying the truck is lifted and has large tires on it I'm going to assume it's a 2500. If that's the case, a 38' RV is WAY overloading that TV! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no way you're ever going to load that RV so that your TV will handle it. And especially not a lifted rig.

You at very least need a 3500 dually and I'd suggest a 450/4500 to handle that monster.

I wish I had better news but that's the cold hard facts.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Two serious issues I see, maybe three. First the lifted truck, second could be the tires. If they have a very aggressive tread that could lead to all sorts of towing problems. Third is the hitch. Consider getting rid of your hitch and get a Hensley Arrow or similar setup. An equalizer type hitch will do nothing for sway. You need to control the sway issue and the only way to do that is with a better hitching system.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Of course a picture of the unit hitched up would also lead to more thoughts about the setup. You could if possible just obtain another "tow" vehicle and keep the other vehicle for the purpose you want.
macbwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Also another thing (speaking from experience). I know when I had 38s on a '82 Chevy shortbox 4x4, the tires would get "caught" in the pavement ruts in the road. Does this happen to your truck when it's not connected to the TT?
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Wow! that is a lot of information you guy's are awesome. I will get pictures and more specific information on my TT and TV. Thanks so much. Dont think getting new trailer or truck is an option for me now with the economy the way it is. although have considered trading the trailer for a 5th wheel set up.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
The biggest issue has to be the ride height of your tow vehicle. It must also put your camper far from level...way high in the front. The situation will be the same with a 5th wheel...the camper will be real nose high to get the truck under the pin and have decent bed rail clearance.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
model T34fbsp

Message deleted due to spam.