Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

trailer plug to truck

some how my trailer plug got pulled out of the box on the trailer and the cable got drug down the road. i got a new plug but what wires are what on the trailer?

bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The green is the Right Turn/stop. The yellow is Left Turn/stop. The brown is the parking lights. The blue is the brake wire. The white is ground. There is a battery charge wire, should be red, but verify. Most new trailers don't have back up lights, and only use 6 wires. Green, Yellow, Brown, White, Blue, Red, that equals six, hope it helps.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

the trailer has 3 white,2 black, red,green,brown, and the breakaway box has a blue, and black/orange.

the plug that goes to truck has

green/tall light
red/left turn & brake
white/ground
blue/brakes
brown/right turn &brake
black/battery
yellow/aux power
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Try to determine the difference between ground wires and light/brake circuits with a multimeter. Lights and brakes should show some resistance.

With house batteries installed and connected, the one with 12v+ will connect to the black wire from the TV. All others can be checked with multimeter to determine which ones are pure ground.

For the remaining wires, use a 12v source (battery) and do a quick touch on each one to determine which circuit they are. You'll have to connect the ground from your test battery to the frame or your junction box. Use a helper to let you know what gets energized for each one and to keep notes. Have your helper listen closely near the wheels for identifying the brake circuit. You can hear the magnet energizing and clamping to the drum.

If you don't have a multimeter, the "quick touch" approach will still work. Just be aware that one or more wires will be ground and would produce a dead short. You'll know when you "flick" the wires together for a short instance. The grounds will give a stronger spark.

I know this sounds crude, but it will work and it's harmless as long as you don't hold the 12v+ to the ground wires for more than a "quick flick". Note that you will get a little spark from the light/brake circuits as well.

Make sure to document the color mapping so you have it for future reference.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Oh, for the breakaway switch, one side goes to the black (12v+ power) and the other to the brake circuit. When the breakaway is activated it simply applies a full 12V to the brake circuit.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

did you get the answer you were looking for? I have the same unit and can check if not.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

yes. i got it fixed but i had to stop at a dealer and have them do it. i ended up blowing a few fuses in the camper and truck. there is a fuse box with a few fuses behind the battery. i knew i had a fuse blown but could not find the fues box. while i was there getting it worked on i had the put a plug in the truck bed. i had a 6 point in the bed but needed the 7. im all good now.

so how you likiing the puma?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #8

Like it so far. Our first trip was 3 nights last weekend. It towed nice but we lost 1mpg from our old Sportster.

how big is your water tank? I think ours has a 100gal tank, not the 51gal as advertised. Tomorrow, I want to measure it to be sure.

Two hits are I don't like the shower head (leaks when off) and there is a soft sopt right at the base of the step leasing up to the bunk. Is typical in yours as well?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #9

dont know about the water tank. 51 gal advertised. my shower head does the same when the water is on but with the knobs off it does not leak so no big deal for me.