Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Unhappy Trailer Sway Problem

To sway or not to sway!
We took our 2015 26 ft. Ultra lite V out for our first long trip last week. All was well except for the swaying on speeds over 50 MPH. I am using load sharing bars and chains and a friction anti-sway bar. I was told that I should turn off my Stabili-Trak and Traction control on my 2011 Chevy Suburban. Does anyone have this problem? Another suggestion from Camping World is to update my tow package to the SwayPro 1000. Lots of expense, but will it solve all my problems? Thank You for any advice.
Richard & Isabel
RLAIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

Smile Sway Problem

I added a second friction sway bar on my 26 ft Super Lite and it made a world of difference. I have a Husky WDH and no special stuff. We returned from a trip with 25 MPH cross winds and oncoming trucks went unnoticed. Best $45 I ever spent and installed easily.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the Stabili-Trak and Traction Control on my 2007 Avalanche, which is the same as your Burb and I've NEVER had any sway issues.
But I have an Equal-i-zer WDH with integrated sway control, not an old technology friction bar equipped WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Have you actually checked your setup?
You need to measure the front of the tow vehicle at the fender well before hitching up. Then after hitching you should be close to or at the unhitched number. The rear will sag some but should never be lower than the front.

As for your TT, you need to make sure it's parallel to the ground after hitched up. Nose low a little is fine.

All tires should be at max sidewall PSI.
Also have you need to make sure you have at least 12%+ for tongue weight.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Have you actually checked your setup?
You need to measure the front of the tow vehicle at the fender well before hitching up. Then after hitching you should be close to or at the unhitched number. The rear will sag some but should never be lower than the front.
As for your TT, you need to make sure it's parallel to the ground after hitched up. Nose low a little is fine.
All tires should be at max sidewall PSI.
Also have you need to make sure you have at least 12%+ for tongue weight.
Also, if you have P tires, you should replace them with LT LR D.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
...not an old technology friction bar equipped WDH.
Might be old technology, but it is time tested and they do work, especially if you use 2.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

Is your trailer one with spread axles?

The service guy at my local dealership told me they get lots of complaints about sway with the spread axle trailers. I mitigated my issues on my 2015 Vibe with airbags and a Hellwig rear sway bar on my F150. It' not a perfect solution but it does seem to tow much better. I also inflated my P series tires to max inflation.

I may be upgrading to LT tires as well.

2015 Forest River Vibe 268RKS
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAIANI View Post
To sway or not to sway!
We took our 2015 26 ft. Ultra lite V out for our first long trip last week. All was well except for the swaying on speeds over 50 MPH. I am using load sharing bars and chains and a friction anti-sway bar. I was told that I should turn off my Stabili-Trak and Traction control on my 2011 Chevy Suburban. Does anyone have this problem? Another suggestion from Camping World is to update my tow package to the SwayPro 1000. Lots of expense, but will it solve all my problems? Thank You for any advice.
Richard & Isabel
As others have said, first off check your hitch height when hooked up and loaded for a trip. However if you end up looking toward another WDH, look at Andersen. They do work, I tow a 34ft TT with no sway.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

We tow a Rockwood Windjammer 3029 trailer which weighs about 8,588 lbs loaded, 1,100 lbs tongue weight. Our truck is a 2014 F-150 Screw, 3.5 Eco Boost, Max Tow, and is equipped with a Hellwig rear sway bar, AirLift air bags, and an Equalizer 4 way hitch. I can drive it with 2 fingers on a windy day with trucks passing! It is rock solid, doesn't sway at all, and is a pure pleasure to drive. The truck without the trailer handles like a sports car on mountain roads. I can't imagine why Ford doesn't include a rear sway bar on Max tow packages.
GaryHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

we got rid of my P rated tires and installed LT's. no more sway - unsing the Reese dual cam WD sway control system
Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

I have a SwayPro WDH with 1000lb spring bars which is what the SwayPro 1000 is and it works very well for me since I got it set correctly. I have no sway or suck when a truck passes me. It's the only WDH I've ever used so I can't compare it to others but I really like it.

One thing I found good was that when I bought a new trailer this year that was a couple 1000lbs heavier than my previous one, I didn't have to buy a new hitch all I had to do was upgrade the spring bars. I was able to adjust the height of the ball using the existing hitch receiver and ball mount. Hooking up is easy also, the spring bars are very easy to hook up by using the tongue jack on the trailer to raise the rear of the truck.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:01 AM   #12
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
we got rid of my P rated tires and installed LT's. no more sway - unsing the Reese dual cam WD sway control system
Reese DC sway control here too and with those dastardly P-Metric tires!

We have no issues with sway. Hmmm...

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwie View Post
Is your trailer one with spread axles?

The service guy at my local dealership told me they get lots of complaints about sway with the spread axle trailers. I mitigated my issues on my 2015 Vibe with airbags and a Hellwig rear sway bar on my F150. It' not a perfect solution but it does seem to tow much better. I also inflated my P series tires to max inflation.

I may be upgrading to LT tires as well.

2015 Forest River Vibe 268RKS
hmmmm.... I have the same 268rks vibe.... I had the understanding that the spread axle would be better.. its worse?

Tags
sway, trailer