Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

Trailer swaying question

Hi all,
Maybe this is a stupid or obvious question, however I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
With all things being equal, weight distribution, etc. which trailer sways less, single axle or double axle.
You input would be appreciated. I am thinking about purchasing a trailer in the 22 to 24 foot range. Most are double axle but there a few single. I am leaning toward double axle.
Thanks
Steve 911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

I have had both but I couldn't really say. They were different sized trailers and different sized trucks. I tried towing one without the weight distribution and sway control and that was scary. Once the weight and sway are hooked up I don't see much difference.The combo I have now I started right out with an Andersen Hitch and it tows as nice as a fifth wheel I used to have. The thing that worried me most about the single axle was having a blow out. I'm afraid it would be easy to lose control and have a wreck with the single axle. I have had three tires go with dual axles and never could tell anything was wrong until someone pulled me over. Never had a flat with the single.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If the W/D and sway bars are set-up properly, it shouldn't matter.

As an aside, if you're considering a 22 - 24 ft single axle camper, be aware that they usually have much less cargo carrying capacity compared to a dual axle. May be very important to you...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

the double axle will sway less, all things being equal. however we are not talking about significant difference. the extra tire contact patch will resist some sway. if the axles are spread, it will resist sway more.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

I've found that sway, and eliminating sway, is more a function of getting a 2/3 - 1/3 load split. 2/3 of the weight in front of the axle, 1/3 behind. The closer you get to 1/2 - 1/2, the more sway, and if your reaar weight is heavier than your tongue weight, PLAN on swaying!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

We have had four trailers, all had dual axels. the only time we had problems with sway was with our first unit which we towed with a full size Ford Bronco. After our second very scary outing I traded the Bronco for a full size Dodge Ram which ended the sway problem. I always thought the sway was a result of the Bronco's short wheelbase.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think that a much bigger factor is the wheelbase of your tow vehicle. The longer the better as far as towing. A popular rule of thumb is to divide the wheelbase of your TV (in inches) by 5. The answer is the number of feet you can safely tow. So, 145 inch WB, divided by 5, yields a 29' foot recommendation for trailer length. All I'm saying is that you should "worry" more about tv wheelbase than whether you are pulling 1 or 2 axles.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #8

Double axle will give a better ride (less cargo movement) and is less prone to continued bouncing after a bump. Safer in case of flat too.
I've seen single axle trailer tires in the air after a bump - never seen that with doubles.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote