Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer tire confusion

My wife and I own a 2006 Cedar Creek Silverback towable. Per the tag on the trailer, we are at 12K and change when loaded. Now when it comes to trailer tires. The tires that are currently on it are Carlisle Radial Trail Ultra CRT. As I am researching this I have found a ton of negative when it comes to these tires. At one point on this site I did see where someone had recommended Goodyear tires. Continuing with the research, TireRack.com put on their site that the Goodyear Marathon tires are now made in China. So much for "Made in the USA." Finding this out, I then started looking at the Goodyear G6 RST14. Not sure where they are produced, however with all the blowouts that I have been reading about, I'm finding it difficult to be happy with anything that I am seeing.

Hopefully the pic of my CC rim comes through, as I am using my IPad, and according to Justin at CC, this was the top of the line rim in '06, however top of the line tells me best looking, it doesn't tell me strongest, so I am trying to get both wheel and tire info. Staying with my current wheels, what are the suggestions that are out there for tires.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2150885036.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	19426  

crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
My wife and I own a 2006 Cedar Creek Silverback towable. Per the tag on the trailer, we are at 12K and change when loaded. Now when it comes to trailer tires. The tires that are currently on it are Carlisle Radial Trail Ultra CRT. As I am researching this I have found a ton of negative when it comes to these tires. At one point on this site I did see where someone had recommended Goodyear tires. Continuing with the research, TireRack.com put on their site that the Goodyear Marathon tires are now made in China. So much for "Made in the USA." Finding this out, I then started looking at the Goodyear G6 RST14. Not sure where they are produced, however with all the blowouts that I have been reading about, I'm finding it difficult to be happy with anything that I am seeing.

Hopefully the pic of my CC rim comes through, as I am using my IPad, and according to Justin at CC, this was the top of the line rim in '06, however top of the line tells me best looking, it doesn't tell me strongest, so I am trying to get both wheel and tire info. Staying with my current wheels, what are the suggestions that are out there for tires.

Thanks
I think if you do enough research, you will find ALL trailer tires are made in either, China, Taiwan, Korea or some other Oriental country. Doesn't mean they're all bad. I would stick to a national brand like Good Year, Maxxis, Michelin, etc. I personally stick with GY because I like to support companies where at least the majority of the money stays here in the US of A. I have used GY on trailers since 1976 and never had a failure. On all my cars & trucks since 1964.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks Dunnnc, I do appreciate the input, however... I will most likely be going with Goodyear myself, but that still doesn't make me happy with country of manufacture. Just thinking of the number of defective items that have originated from China. In any event. Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor View Post
Thanks Dunnnc, I do appreciate the input, however... I will most likely be going with Goodyear myself, but that still doesn't make me happy with country of manufacture. Just thinking of the number of defective items that have originated from China. In any event. Thanks again.
Something to keep in mind, Good Year is probably the most popular tire in the US and they have dealers in practically every town of any size. Due to the fact of their popularity, they will also have more complaints. Like I said, in 48 yrs of using GY's, I've never had a failure. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

If you are running a 14" wheel kumho makes a 8 ply or d load rating I believe they are the only one. I just took marathons off my boat trailer last summer and my buddy had 2 marathons blow out on one trip last summer. I don't have any luck w/ goodyear and have had 8 with broke bands out of 12 tires on my wifes tahoe with better than 1/2 tread. I'm glad dunnc has luck w/them but I sure don't any more, maybe it is the china thing.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Something to keep in mind, Good Year is probably the most popular tire in the US and they have dealers in practically every town of any size. Due to the fact of their popularity, they will also have more complaints. Like I said, in 48 yrs of using GY's, I've never had a failure. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Thanks again. I know that I am still running the Carlisles until next spring, however I am certainly looking for better tires. I will certainly be going to MY local GY dealer to speak with him, maybe I'll get lucky and they were made somewhere other than China. Certainly want a good set of rubber on our TT, as next year we are going to make some longer trips. Right now we are staying local (25-30 mile round trips) for shake down runs.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
If you are running a 14" wheel kumho makes a 8 ply or d load rating I believe they are the only one. I just took marathons off my boat trailer last summer and my buddy had 2 marathons blow out on one trip last summer. I don't have any luck w/ goodyear and have had 8 with broke bands out of 12 tires on my wifes tahoe with better than 1/2 tread. I'm glad dunnc has luck w/them but I sure don't any more, maybe it is the china thing.
Sorry MillerTime, we have what I believe are 16's on out TT, as it is tandem axle, 35' and 12k plus pounds. Ironically, my daughter went to look at the tire for size information for me and she said there wasn't any. And before we get ahead of ourselves, my daughter drives a 5.0/5 speed Stang, wrenches on it with me, and knows the tire sizes of the stock 10 whole wheels, along with the Cobra style aftermarket wheels that we put on it. But thanks anyway MillerTime.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Regardless of country of manufacture, all tires are inspected by the DoT prior to being approved for sale. However, nationally recognized brand name tires are also inspected by the companies inspectors since they will carry the reputation of the company along with it.

For the record, not all Goodyear Marathons are made over seas. My Goodyear Marathon ST 225/75R/15 D rated tires carry date codes of 2410/2510 and a manufacturer code of MDHH. They are also mold coded "Made in USA".

DoT Code MD is Gadsden Alabama.
Tire Codes JB-N0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 005.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	19429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 007.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	19430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 006.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	19431  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Regardless of country of manufacture, all tires are inspected by the DoT prior to being approved for sale. However, nationally recognized brand name tires are also inspected by the companies inspectors since they will carry the reputation of the company along with it.

For the record, not all Goodyear Marathons are made over seas. My Goodyear Marathon ST 225/75R/15 D rated tires carry a date code of 2510 and a manufacturer code of MDHH. They are also mold coded "Made in USA".

DoT Code MD is Gadsden Alabama.
Tire Codes JB-N0
Thanks Herk. Between you and Dunnnc, that helps. I didn't think of the secondary inspection by companies. I too will hope to find "Made in the USA" stamped on mine when I get to that point.

One final question...the only other info on our existing tires is a code : DOT9q0s. Any thoughts? Hopefully that is accurate.

Again, thank you all for the help.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Tire Codes 5N-A6

Plant Code 9Q is:

CHANGCHUN TIRE LTD. LIABILITY CO.
CHANGCHUN
JILIN
CHINA

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax