Old 03-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Trailer Weights

In researching different travel trailers I have noticed that different web sites give different weights for the same type of trailer. We will be towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier and I am concerned about trying to pull too much trailer. We are looking at Surveyor models SP189 & SP220.
Can anyone tell me if the "dry weight" listed on the FR site is for a base trailer only? It seems that the higher weights that I see on dealer sites might be "as equipped" therefor the highly optioned trailer that we want is going to be heavier than what they say on the FR site. Is this correct?
Any help is appreciated.

Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Have a look at the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer. Weight for each trailer are different depending on the options this particular trailer has. It can be very deceiving when you look at the brochure and buying a trailer according to the trailer brochure can bring you with a weight of 500 pounds over. It was my case with my ninilite. Brochure said that the weight was 3066 lbs and the sticker said 3592 lbs.This is the dry weight not counting your propane, battery.

capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
in the RV industry, almost all brochure/website "dry" weights are a base trailer.
none of the "options" weights are included in that number.
my Roo has a "dry" weight of 4071lbs.
sitting on the dealer's lot, from the factory, it weighed 4471lbs.
that was with the basic "options" that most trailers have, such as: awning, oven, a/c, spare tire, microwave and so on.
and that was before battery and propane.

i've found that you can easily figure at least 400lbs. for the weight of the usual options.
as was said, the factory sticker weight is the only thing to actually give you a realistic number, unless you take it to the scales.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
As already mentioned, the dry weights are inconsistent and meaningless. The other way to look at it is by the camper's GVWR. Granted you would probably not load the camper that high, but with a 1000 lbs of 'gear', which is typical, you're probably within 500 lbs of the GVWR.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Welcome aboard and I sent you a PM.
TV: '15 Ram 6.4 Hemi CC 4x4
Old TT: '12 Rockwood Roo 19 (sold)
New TT: '14 CR Sunset Trail 290QB
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote