Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer Wiring--Clueless

I have a small cargo carrier that I am trying to connect the light array using an adapter to accomodate an 4-in-line plug to a round 4 pronger. I admit I am virtually clueless when it comes to electrical work, but I do know how to read and what I am seeing is to check the modulite with a circuit tester. Well, I have no idea where (or for that matter, what) the modulite is or the convertor box either in my 2004 Georgetown 370xl. Does anybody know where these things are so I can test them? Or even better run me through some trouble shooting procedure. I can't use this trailer without those lights that's for sure.
jimsaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsaxman View Post
I have a small cargo carrier that I am trying to connect the light array using an adapter to accomodate an 4-in-line plug to a round 4 pronger. I admit I am virtually clueless when it comes to electrical work, but I do know how to read and what I am seeing is to check the modulite with a circuit tester. Well, I have no idea where (or for that matter, what) the modulite is or the convertor box either in my 2004 Georgetown 370xl. Does anybody know where these things are so I can test them? Or even better run me through some trouble shooting procedure. I can't use this trailer without those lights that's for sure.

Maybe this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	38852   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigplug.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	38853  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #3

Can you post a picture cause it sounds like its going to be a custom job by you..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

I did this on our 2004 GT standard round 4 to flat 4 for our tow dolly using a commercial adaptor. I found the wires were mismatched. I took both apart and changed connectors on the GT side so they matched the connector. All is well.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 AM   #5

i found this tester very helpfull.
Four-Way Trailer Light Tester
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

plug

a standard 4 pin plug wiring should be like the attached---found with bing search of "4 pin trailer diagram", search for power with brakes and turn signals on-off or with resistance checks.

Name:   4 pin plug.PNG
Views: 650
Size:  8.0 KB
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget to check the wiring ground on the trailer itself...that's the problem a lot of the time.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Don't forget to check the wiring ground on the trailer itself...that's the problem a lot of the time.
Dave
X2 make sure the trailer ground wire is firmly connected to the trailer frame!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #9

Yes, the trailer ground wire is firmly connected to the frame. Thanks for the diagrams. Sure enough, my round plug looks like the one etcmss posted. Just went out and got a circuit tester (continuity [!] tester). Going to test the individual plugs and the dedicated fuses associated to see where that leads me. I also am entranced by the suggestion that the various circuits my be mis-wired. So that is a possible track to follow. Thanks for all your help. Most appreciated. By the way, I'm still wondering what and where I can find the "modulite". This is mentioned as a item to check for a pulse.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Don't know if this is the one you are looking for

http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-1191.../dp/B001P2DULI
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #11

Thanks, Dutchman, I'm looking at it but I still don't know what it does. No, I'm sure I don't need one of those (at least I hope not). At any rate, I solved my problem: It was a fuse! My newly acquired circuit tester found the offending culprit and suddenly I'm getting power to my plug. Success! I'm on the road--so be careful. Thanks to the community.

Tags
light, trailer, wiring