Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer wouldn’t go in reverse.

I had a freak problem with my 2019 ROCKWOOD Minilite 2506s.

The Factory installed GMC brake controller had a warning saying “Check Trailer Connection”. The electric brakes worked fine going forward, but as soon as I put my GMC Truck in reverse, the electric brakes on the trailer locked up. I was unable to move the vehicle at all. I had to disconnect the 7pin cable between the truck and the trailer in order to move the trailer in reverse. The dealer insisted it was my truck, so I borrowed an F150 from a friend and had the same result.

The dealer didn’t believe me until he reproduced the problem with his own vehicle. After some diagnostics they found a problem with the 7pin cable head on the camper and replaced it. All is fine now.

MMRGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Thank you for posting that problem AND the solution. Good to put in the memory bank for 'what if'.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Thank you for posting that problem AND the solution. Good to put in the memory bank for 'what if'.
X2

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 =111; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

Sounds like they had the backup wire and brake wire swapped (pin #2 and #7) on the trailer plug (or more likely back in the junction box).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin plug wiring.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	186612  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

I was thinking the same thing however if that was the case then the brakes wouldn't have worked when going forward. I suspect that if the trailer had back up lights they would light up each time the brake was pushed. I was thinking more likely that pins 7 & 2 were shorted together was more likely. Not saying this was the case but seems possible.

Ironically this reminds me of a similar funny story that happened to me with a cargo trailer. I had hooked up my trailer, plugged in the cable and headed out to get some wood supplies. Everything was going great and working properly (I thought) until I made a right turn. When I turned on my blinker all of the sudden my trailer brakes started activating and releasing jerking the truck each time. Not really putting 2 and 2 together at that time I just pulled over and disconnected the trailer wiring from the truck till I returned home. As you probably already guessed I discovered that the turn signal wire had come loose from the plug connection and was touching the turn signal wire. I can definitely relate to the confusing symptoms that was happening to the OP.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
I was thinking the same thing however if that was the case then the brakes wouldn't have worked when going forward. I suspect that if the trailer had back up lights they would light up each time the brake was pushed. I was thinking more likely that pins 7 & 2 were shorted together was more likely. Not saying this was the case but seems possible.

Ironically this reminds me of a similar funny story that happened to me with a cargo trailer. I had hooked up my trailer, plugged in the cable and headed out to get some wood supplies. Everything was going great and working properly (I thought) until I made a right turn. When I turned on my blinker all of the sudden my trailer brakes started activating and releasing jerking the truck each time. Not really putting 2 and 2 together at that time I just pulled over and disconnected the trailer wiring from the truck till I returned home. As you probably already guessed I discovered that the turn signal wire had come loose from the plug connection and was touching the turn signal wire. I can definitely relate to the confusing symptoms that was happening to the OP.

I think your diagnosis on the short from pins 7-2 makes sense. It worked for 3 trips then failed, so I do not believe it was miswired from the start.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

Doubting Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMRGOOD View Post
I had a freak problem with my 2019 ROCKWOOD Minilite 2506s.

The Factory installed GMC brake controller had a warning saying “Check Trailer Connection”. The electric brakes worked fine going forward, but as soon as I put my GMC Truck in reverse, the electric brakes on the trailer locked up. I was unable to move the vehicle at all. I had to disconnect the 7pin cable between the truck and the trailer in order to move the trailer in reverse. The dealer insisted it was my truck, so I borrowed an F150 from a friend and had the same result.

The dealer didn’t believe me until he reproduced the problem with his own vehicle. After some diagnostics they found a problem with the 7pin cable head on the camper and replaced it. All is fine now.

I hate dealing with people like that. Did he apologize? Should have. Glad you got it fixed.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I hate dealing with people like that. Did he apologize? Should have. Glad you got it fixed.

No apology. Just an “I guess you were right”, but I guess I will take that.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post

Been there done that too.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMRGOOD View Post
No apology. Just an “I guess you were right”, but I guess I will take that.
Then you say.. see not all customers are idiots you should listen before dismissing them so quick.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer